Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Models S to Model 3...Wow these cars are different!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you and everyone else reading my post understood what I meant. Sure, if someone offered to swap me my Model 3 for a brand new P100D Model S, or a Lambo or a Bugatti, I'd take the swap. Then I'd sell that and buy another Model 3. My point, which I know you and everyone else understood, was that I'd rather drive the Model 3 than any other car available today.

Okay, so let's get the ground rules straight -- because taking the P100D, selling it, then buying another RWD Model was, of course, said tongue-in-cheek, because of course everyone would do that. The fact that you took it literally surprised me, especially after we just joked about it with that crazy coconut.

But what you're saying to us (or expect us to believe) is that if someone said to you, "Have my new P100D, for your RWD 3" (no selling it allowed, or if you did, you only get what your 3 is worth) you still would not do it? Yeah right. Again, I call BS!

And BTW, polygraph machines are completely bogus, which is why most jurisdictions no longer accept them as evidence in court.

No BTW. There's been no significant change in the over 25 years I've practiced law with regard to the admission of polygraph results in civil or criminal courts. These machines simply measure involuntary reactions -- but can tricked voluntarily -- and pathological liars have no problem passing them, while very nervous innocent people can fail them. These, and other factors, are called "variables." Variables do not vitiate, or make "completely bogus" the use of these machines, and law enforcement, insurance investigators, family matters involving child abuse, etc. continue to use them to this day, not only in the field but also in the courts (albeit limited use). For example, the offer to take a polygraph, or refusal, in an arson civil claim, cannot be used to determine causation but can be used to determine good faith obligations for either party. In criminal law, while not used in court, they are used to narrow down potential suspects, who ultimately do appear in court after refusing to submit to one. Accused of molesting a child and your refuse one? That says a lot on where to go with the investigation, while at the same time, taking one and failing, does not automatically lead to a presumption of guilt. There's those variables, remember? Cases are like puzzles and you need pieces. Some fit, some don't. Some look to fit, but don't.

You don't need to be a lawyer to know their limited usefulness. Just watch a few Forensic Files and you'll get it, and won't be calling them "completely bogus". They have a role to play and have got much better over the years -- not worse.

Last edited:
Not too late to sell your RWD Model 3, and get 3P before the end of the year. Sounds silly but you won't lose that much as if you had gotten the 3P outright.

When I first got my Model 3 I chose the First Production version because I didn't want to have to wait for the car. It's a safer car, and that was enough reason for me. I figured maybe I'd drive it for a year and then trade up to the P-AWD. I still might. However, as much as I want that torque, and envy those who have it, I really cannot justify it to myself.

Once, window-shopping with my sister, we saw an enormous flat-screen TV and she said, "I need that!" I replied, "You don't need it. You want it." In fact, she didn't have a room in her house big enough to be able to sit far enough back from a screen that big.

I want the P-AWD 3, but I don't need it. And I'm probably safer without it. The RWD 3 has plenty of acceleration for merging and passing, and I might move to Maui in a year, where there's even less need for a muscle car. So, we'll see. It's probably good for me to live with a bit less than I want.

Okay, so let's get the ground rules straight -- because taking the P100D, selling it, then buying another RWD Model was, of course, said tongue-in-cheek, because of course everyone would do that. The fact that you took it literally surprised me, especially after we just joked about it with that crazy coconut.

But what you're saying to us (or expect us to believe) is that if someone said to you, "Have my new P100D, for your RWD 3" (no selling it allowed, or if you did, you only get what your 3 is worth) you still would not do it? Yeah right. Again, I call BS!

Here is the truth: I do not enjoy driving a big car. If someone offered to trade me straight-up a brand new P100D Model S for my Model 3 on the condition that I would have to keep it and use it as my daily driver, I would turn down the offer. I do not like driving a big car! If I was married and my wife wanted a Model S I would buy her one, no questions asked. But every single time that I could choose which of the two cars to drive (i.e. no constraints such as my 3 not being available, or absolutely needing to haul something too big for the 3) I would always choose to drive the Model 3. The Model 3 is a more comfortable car for me. I might prefer to ride in the Model S if my hypothetical wife were driving. But I've driven a Model S twice, and I prefer the smaller Model 3.

No BTW. There's been no significant change in the over 25 years I've practiced law with regard to the admission of polygraph results in civil or criminal courts. These machines simply measure involuntary reactions -- but can tricked voluntarily -- and pathological liars have no problem passing them, while very nervous innocent people can fail them.

Okay. That's what I meant when I said they are completely bogus. They're a prop for the operator to perform a cold reading. Put an innocent person on it and he's likely to be so nervous that the operator can make whatever he likes of it.

When I first got my Model 3 I chose the First Production version because I didn't want to have to wait for the car. It's a safer car, and that was enough reason for me. I figured maybe I'd drive it for a year and then trade up to the P-AWD. I still might. However, as much as I want that torque, and envy those who have it, I really cannot justify it to myself.

Sure, of course you need to find the course of action that makes your happiest while balancing responsibilities.

As an arbitrage strategist, seeing the one time opportunity to reduce losses on a rwd to P swap seems pretty amazing to me.

If you qualify, you can order the P Model 3 for max tax credit. You can then sell your RWD closer to end of year when it’s late to get a new one for maximum credit.

I only suggest it since you seem to want it.

Waiting has its pros and cons. Relatively less depreciation on your RWD with P credit going down to 3750 or ~1800 next year.

And you have a about 10 days for free supercharging if that is of tangible/emotional value to get in on.

Sure, of course you need to find the course of action that makes your happiest while balancing responsibilities.

As an arbitrage strategist, seeing the one time opportunity to reduce losses on a rwd to P swap seems pretty amazing to me.

If you qualify, you can order the P Model 3 for max tax credit. You can then sell your RWD closer to end of year when it’s late to get a new one for maximum credit.

I only suggest it since you seem to want it.

Waiting has its pros and cons. Relatively less depreciation on your RWD with P credit going down to 3750 or ~1800 next year.

And you have a about 10 days for free supercharging if that is of tangible/emotional value to get in on.

Well, there are no superchargers in Maui, and even if I stay here my only long road trip is for summer hiking in Canada, because I'd rather fly than drive whenever possible, so free supercharging isn't worth much to me. As for the rest, I think for me it's better to stick with the one I have. I had seven years of driving very nearly the quickest car in town. And one of the great things about EAP is that I no longer have that irrational desire to shave a few minutes off my drive. And burning through tires with those super-jackrabbit starts is not good for the environment. Obviously, I'm just finding reasons to stick with what I've got.

Hello! My Model S was just totalled and I'm back in the market for a new EV. I thought I would just get another Model S, but I was curious about maybe getting a performance M3. Anything about the M3 that makes you want to go back to the MS?
I have a P3D+. It drives like a starship. You just spy a point down the road, hit the accelerator, and the car teleports you there (it uses a technology called 'blink drive'). I have never had a really fast car before. Our fastest car before was a 1971 Dodge Coronet 440(cu in), doing 0-60 in 9s with 6 people inside.

This car is unbelievable. It also looks fabulous, in fact, it has many of the frogeye looks of a Porsche 911, but nearly ALL Porsche 911 cars would be humbled by this car in a 0-60 race. It is for this reason that both BMW and Porsche are coughing up BLOOD right now in their American sales divisions, and 2 out of 5 P3 buyer who trade, trade in the most sporty japanese brand of car (Honda Civic or Accord).

I bought black racing strips (for a blue car) with red pinstripes and next weekend I will tart up the looks like a Ford Mustang GT350. It certainly puts that car to shame and it's much easier to order it and get the color and options you want!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aieukl378 and Chaz
I have a P3D+. It drives like a starship. You just spy a point down the road, hit the accelerator, and the car teleports you there (it uses a technology called 'blink drive'). I have never had a really fast car before. Our fastest car before was a 1971 Dodge Coronet 440(cu in), doing 0-60 in 9s with 6 people inside.

This car is unbelievable. It also looks fabulous, in fact, it has many of the frogeye looks of a Porsche 911, but nearly ALL Porsche 911 cars would be humbled by this car in a 0-60 race. It is for this reason that both BMW and Porsche are coughing up BLOOD right now in their American sales divisions, and 2 out of 5 P3 buyer who trade, trade in the most sporty japanese brand of car (Honda Civic or Accord).

I bought black racing strips (for a blue car) with red pinstripes and next weekend I will tart up the looks like a Ford Mustang GT350. It certainly puts that car to shame and it's much easier to order it and get the color and options you want!
I think we can all agree here that the P3+ is a lovely car, but people don't buy Porsche 911s to drive fast in a straight line :)

No BTW. There's been no significant change in the over 25 years I've practiced law with regard to the admission of polygraph results in civil or criminal courts. These machines simply measure involuntary reactions -- but can tricked voluntarily -- and pathological liars have no problem passing them, while very nervous innocent people can fail them. These, and other factors, are called "variables." Variables do not vitiate, or make "completely bogus" the use of these machines, and law enforcement, insurance investigators, family matters involving child abuse, etc. continue to use them to this day, not only in the field but also in the courts (albeit limited use). For example, the offer to take a polygraph, or refusal, in an arson civil claim, cannot be used to determine causation but can be used to determine good faith obligations for either party. In criminal law, while not used in court, they are used to narrow down potential suspects, who ultimately do appear in court after refusing to submit to one. Accused of molesting a child and your refuse one? That says a lot on where to go with the investigation, while at the same time, taking one and failing, does not automatically lead to a presumption of guilt. There's those variables, remember? Cases are like puzzles and you need pieces. Some fit, some don't. Some look to fit, but don't.

You don't need to be a lawyer to know their limited usefulness. Just watch a few Forensic Files and you'll get it, and won't be calling them "completely bogus". They have a role to play and have got much better over the years -- not worse.
Correct if you offered me a 100D Model S for my model 3 with the restriction I could not sell it, I would pass. For me the 3 is a much better size. It fits in the garage better. It is noticeably more efficient to run and it charges faster. Some people like BIG cars. We do not, and the Model 3 is better for us.

My local SC has provided me with a lovely Model S 70D loaner, with less than 200 miles on it while my 3 is undergoing an overhaul for paint and panel alignment issues. I've driven less than 20 miles in it, but it is a completely different car (except for the foot stomp and go thing).

Larger/roomier, with a higher level of luxury than the 3. I like the leather seating, and the quieter ride. But my first and most lasting impression is there are too many buttons and stalks! It has taken me only two weeks to adapt to the mono-control screen and minimalist dash of the Model 3. Sound system is better in the 3. Sight lines out the back window (no middle headrest) and windshield are better too. Had to look up the "diver" vs "driver" label thing. Still don't know where to enter "007" to toggle back. Missing the update to v9 on the S.

Surprised that it actually fit in my garage without any accommodation. All this time, I've been waiting for the 3 because I didn't want to clean out my garage to squeeze in the S...

Not sure any one Tesla is better than another.

People that like smaller cars, or live in dense Urban areas are going to prefer the Model 3.
People that like larger cars, for their additional quiet and comfort, additional carrying capacity or seating fro 7 will prefer the Model S.
People that need to tow, have small children, or like an easy to enter vehicle with a fantastic open feeling will prefer the Model X.

Pricing is the same situation. Those on a budget will wait for for the base price Model 3, Those with a little more $ will get the more highly optioned ones with long range battery. Those wanting the larger car, but have modest budgets will get the 75KW, while those wanting the ultimate will opt for the Ludicrous P100D.

Business owners will choose the model X due to its significant tax savings, and those who wish to tow will go for the X100.

Something for everyone. Just because you have a personal preference, or unique situation, does not make someone choosing what is right for them less.

Different strokes...