Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Models S to Model 3...Wow these cars are different!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like a lot about the M3 too, but some things I prefer about the MS:

Twice the cargo space
More shoulder room for 5th passenger
Possibility of 6 and 7th kid passengers
Slightly better ride
Quicker at each comparable trim
Two screens allow nav overview and turn-by-turn at the same time
Larger screen plus two screens lets you put up more info at once - AP plus nav plus media plus rear-viee cam, for example
It has a key fob - more reliable and can do summon quicker
Free supercharging
Can use CHAdeMO adapter
Sunroof that opens
Adjustable suspension
Biohazard mode available
Better looking IMO
Don't have to tell passengers how to use door handles (inside and out) as often

I like a lot about the M3 too, but some things I prefer about the MS:

Twice the cargo space
More shoulder room for 5th passenger
Possibility of 6 and 7th kid passengers
Slightly better ride
Quicker at each comparable trim
Two screens allow nav overview and turn-by-turn at the same time
Larger screen plus two screens lets you put up more info at once - AP plus nav plus media plus rear-viee cam, for example
It has a key fob - more reliable and can do summon quicker
Free supercharging
Can use CHAdeMO adapter
Sunroof that opens
Adjustable suspension
Biohazard mode available
Better looking IMO
Don't have to tell passengers how to use door handles (inside and out) as often

Agree with the above but..

2X the price at each comparable trim. :(

Hello! My Model S was just totalled and I'm back in the market for a new EV. I thought I would just get another Model S, but I was curious about maybe getting a performance M3. Anything about the M3 that makes you want to go back to the MS?

I'm probably more of an S person and although the 3 is pretty fantastic in a fast, road holding, performance kind of way I'll probably settle on another S at some point. For one thing, the S is such a head turner whereas the 3 sort of blends into the crowd in comparison. Also, the S handles and rides so silky smooth and obviously the tremendous capacity of the S is nice.

The only thing about the 3 I like much more than the S is the HVAC...AC is amazing and I'm going to assume heating will be far better as well(have not tried the heat yet...just an assumption). My wife likes the passenger front seat in the 3 better(all window). From a driving perspective I still like having the binnacle behind the steering wheel on the S though the one screen on the 3 is pretty amazing.

I have a 2015 S85 and a RWD 3. They are both great, but I prefer the 3. In fact since picking up the 3 on 7/24, I have only driven the S once (to test noise levels--see below). That may change as the newness wears off, but as far as a new S or a 3, it would be hard to justify the higher cost for "old" technology. But when the S is refreshed, then I'll consider it again.

About the screens--the single screen in the 3 works better than I expected and is easy to get used to. However, I think a second screen behind the steering wheel would be helpful and my preference. As far as the S screens, I always felt like center screen was underutilized with lots of wasted space.

As far as the S being quieter, I did back-to-back comparisons over the same 8-mile stretch of road/freeway/bridge crossings with a dB meter in the car. The S was 2-3 dBs quieter on all roads/surfaces up to about 70 miles an hour, at which point the difference was 4-5 dBs due to road/tire noise in the 3. A difference of 2-3 is not really noticeable, but 4-5 is. Some people complain about wind noise, but when I held the meter up to the roof and by the windows, there was very little difference. However, when I put the meter down in the foot wells, the readings increased. Not saying some people aren't having wind noise issues, but maybe not everyone will.

By the way 3 dB is double the sound level and most people with normal hearing can hear that difference; however, measuring with just a dB meter is inadequate to tell the perceived noise difference. For example a 3 dB difference at 12 kHz vs a 3 dB difference at 3 kHz is noticeably different and the latter will seem louder because of the Fletcher-Munson effect. Our ability to hear 3 kHz is much better than our ability to hear 12 kHz. It really depends on a) how the noise spectrum is distributed and b) your own hearing ability. Ever notice how women will hear you no matter how quiet you are trying to sneak in? They are more sensitive to noise than men in general due to better high frequency hearing. :)

In my case, I sold my S to buy a 3 because I wanted a smaller car with more up to date technology and the trade offs were acceptable to me. Of course, now I am looking at having to buy FSD for $4K to keep it current technology wise once the new CPU is available.

Reactions: rluciano
Doing the same moving from my 70D to a 3. I road trip a lot so even though 310 Mi will be amazing, I'm thinking I will miss the Trip tracking function on the 3. The other thing will be no steering wheel heating in winter.

By the way 3 dB is double the sound level and most people with normal hearing can hear that difference; however, measuring with just a dB meter is inadequate to tell the perceived noise difference. For example a 3 dB difference at 12 kHz vs a 3 dB difference at 3 kHz is noticeably different and the latter will seem louder because of the Fletcher-Munson effect. Our ability to hear 3 kHz is much better than our ability to hear 12 kHz. It really depends on a) how the noise spectrum is distributed and b) your own hearing ability. Ever notice how women will hear you no matter how quiet you are trying to sneak in? They are more sensitive to noise than men in general due to better high frequency hearing. :)

Just to clarify 3dB is not double the sound level. dB is just a ratio and requires context to have any meaning. In sound level measurements, dBSPL is used, which is a 20log scale. The 3dB number usually refers to power scale, which is 10log. You need twice the power to increase 3dB. Because of the inverse square law, doubling the distance to a sound source will result in a loss of 6dB. This is usually conflated with a halving of volume, but it is not that simple because of the way our ears hear as you mentioned. It is commonly agreed that a "perceived" doubling of volume is about 10dB when related to SPL measurements, so while 3dB is noticeable, it is a slight change as opposed to a doubling of volume. And SPL measurements are usually "weighted" to compensate for the Fletcher-Munson effect, so while you are right if there is a 1k sine wave at 90dB in a quiet room, the average SPL will be less, it's usually a very good gauge of loudness. But, like you said, a "drone" can be perceived louder than the SPL reflects.

I’ve driven the performance 3 and RWD 3, but neither experience convinced me to give up my S75, but on paper it definitely looks like I should sell my S and get a new AWD 3. I just can’t make up my mind. My least favorite part of the 3 is the dash with the screen protruding from it. It looks fine compared to ice cars, but the dash in the S is just gorgeous and the two screens are more functional. I like having the rear view camera on most of the time. With the 3 you can’t see the navigation and have the rear camera on at the same time. Decisions decisions.

Expecting delivery in the next week or two, waiting back for that call after telling them when delivery would work best for us, and I know for a fact the one thing I am going to miss is the cargo space and the lift gate. Test drove the Model 3 a few weeks back, thought it drove and felt great and it drives "like a Tesla" so no real difference there, but when I checked out the trunk space it really hit home the difference. Where as I could stand and put anything almost into the cargo area of our Model S and easily reach anything in there, the opening due to it not being a hatchback on the Model 3 is so much more shorter, I'll probably be bending lower to reach things inside, and boxes and such I could have fit in the Model S won't go in the Model 3. Big boxes aren't going to necessarily fit in the rear door area to the cabin either.

I'm not a fan of the screen placement, would rather it been vertical like on the Model S. I find sitting in the passenger side it kind of sticks out where you could hit it with your knee if you are a long legged person and depending on how you sit. Not an issue on the driver's side as you encounter the wheel first. I can see where in that early accident the passenger hit the screen and got cut. Having gone vertical would have made that a non-issue. Did notice a lot of glare on the screen when I did my test drive, more so than on our Model S since the screen is more recessed and I don't think the windshield goes back as far on it as on the Model 3. But really think the biggest thing I'll notice is the cargo space. Hope to find out soon! We'll have both cars so can always take the Model S when we need the extra space but for someone who will only have one car I would say that is the biggest adjustment in going from a Model S to a Model 3.

And BTW really wanted to get my old car replaced soon and wanted another Model S. If Tesla had come out with a refreshed Model S with new battery tech, we might have ordered one and kept our Model S as our second car instead of the Model 3. Just didn't make sense to spend the extra money on an MS right now, with our circumstances. The perforated seats might be back on the refresh and I really had wanted a sunroof in my car too so worse case we trade in the Model 3 down the road. Not sure if those options will ever get offered on the Model 3 in the near future or ever. But I will add we love our Tesla and expect any car/s in our near future beyond this Model 3 purchase will be a Tesla as well.

Last edited: