Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From MS to MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will know quickly when you drive the X.

The X is a larger vehicle. Easier to enter and exit. More headroom and that fantastic panorama windshield. Rear entry and Exit also easier with the Falcon Wing Doors. It carries much more and has towing capacity.

The S is also bettter looking to me. More efficient with longer range. It is more nimble and smaller in dimensions.

Hard to say which is better overall. It pretty much comes down to personal preferences and circumstances.

Both have been recently upgraded with standard premium packages. Cost less than buying the standard car and adding PUP.

Only X here, though I drive loaner S's. I like the interior of the X better, particularly for our road trips. Two main drawbacks are its large size and higher power usage. The X 90D was a decent match to the S 75D in terms of range if I remember right, and it's probably even worse at top freeway speeds. To a lesser extent is the difference in driving a higher car. I love it for what it is, but it's not as sporty as an S. I find I'm not pushing it through the corners like I do the S (and I'm sure the 3, whenever it's delivered).

Imho.
75D MS- Sportier, Nimble, easier to park and maneuver, 4.2 sec
MX 100D- spacious, cool factor with the FWD, Great for road trips, reclining 2nd row seats, 4.7 sec., The huuuge windshield.
I find myself taking the S for short trips, the X for family trips.
Glad we choose the X100D, over the X75D.
Each have their own merits.

Hope this helps.

The S is sportier looking and better looking on the outside for sure. Probably funner to drive too since its more nimble.

That being said, the height of the model X and panoramic windshield sold it for me. I drive a lot, and i feel a lot more comfortable in the X.

Hey there,
I have a MS 75D 2017, and love it but I miss the height and vis of my SUV, so I'm thinking of trading the S or a X.
Going to drive a X, but I'm sure its going to be a no brainer.
Anyone go from a S to a X?
Thanks
I switched from an 85D S to a P100DLX - there are tons of differences, some great, some not so, but overall totally happy with the change.

I'm 6'3" tall, the S was just a total pain to get in and out of as my seat had to be back behind the A-pillar. My 5'3" wife had similar trouble getting in and out of the S particularly when we'd go out and she'd be wearing a skirt/dress and heals.

Sight lines and much better in the X, of course, because of the ride height.

However, the sporty, road hugging performance of the S cannot be replicated in an X, just too tall (even in "Low"). Putting the 22's on definitely made a world of difference in the handling, though.

I absolutely loved my S, and I love my X, just different things about it. Getting in and out it 10,000 times easier. Carrying people, much easier. Now my family (wife, 20 year old and twin 17 year olds) want to road trip in my X versus our other vehicles which makes me much happier!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Anyone go from a S to a X?

All the time since we have both. Ask me anything you want to know, but here's some quick thoughts when I go from one to the other.

10 Thoughts Going from X to S:
  1. I feel like I'm sitting on the floor
  2. I can't see around or above all these stupid SUVs on the road!
  3. Why didn't my door close? Why is it still open? I have to close it? Myself? Isn't this a Tesla?!?!?
  4. This screen is so much easier to access, but where's all my features?
  5. This thing is zippy. Weeeeeee! Oh crap range. Wait..I still have so much range left. I'm not going to have to charge this thing for days!
  6. Sorry son, this isn't the X. I promise I won't bump your head the next time I put you in the backseat.. (I will)
  7. Seriously, why don't the doors close on their own?
  8. These door handles are slow and annoying, OW..they're hot too.
  9. Why is my rear window so small? Is that a cop? Or an explorer with the sport package?
  10. This is fun to drive.

10 Thoughts Going from S to X:
  1. I'm so high up.
  2. Why is the center screen so far down?
  3. Woah, there goes the door!
  4. What's all these extra buttons on the screen?
  5. Is my power limited? Why does it feel slow?
  6. The FWDs are so annoying and slow
  7. It's so much easier to have FWDs (with kids)
  8. Oh nice, forgot I have door pockets.
  9. I burned through that much range already??
  10. I'm so happy I'm back in my X, somehow feels a class above the S.

The overall marketplace is going away from 4 dr. sedans and to the SUV variants of different sizes. They are so much more versitile overall. Ease of access and view down the road are compelling features.

They do, however consume more energy, don't handle as well and don't look as good as the 4 doors.

You say you want to "trade" for an X -- be prepared for disappointment when Tesla gives you a trade-in value. I was ready to do this, but when they offered $20k less than market value, I decided the S was just fine.

Indeed. Tesla offered me $24,000 for my 5 year old Model S 85. I sold it myself for my asking price of $49,000. Probably should have asked for more as I got 10,000 hits on my ad the first week with multiple offers.

I'm 6'3" tall, the S was just a total pain to get in and out of as my seat had to be back behind the A-pillar. My 5'3" wife had similar trouble getting in and out of the S particularly when we'd go out and she'd be wearing a skirt/dress and heals.

I had no trouble with my S, but my wife and friends all complained about getting in and out. Not because it was a Tesla, just because it is a "sedan" and everyone is used to taller SUVs now. Got the same complaints with my Cadillac CTS.

I personally like driving the MS much more than the MX. For me MX is too heavy, lumbering, and inefficient. The turn radius is poor and maneuverability is bad. The large windshield makes the cabin far too hot. Blind spot visibility is poor. Range is... Not great. Falcon wing doors take too long to open and close and attract too much attention.

But i personally like cars more than SUVs so others will have differing opinions. If i didnt have kids and my wife would have let me get the MS i would have gotten the sedan instead.

Edit: oh i forgot its not a good looking car either, while the S is pretty sexy with the 21s.

I own an X btw.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Anzir and spectrum
Went from S to X here a while back. Loved the S, but the X is more comfortable for sure, so easy to get in and out versus the S, if your taller more room, and the windshield beats any car I've ever been in period, especially the S due to roofline. It does have things you expect like door storage and few other things S seemed to be missing previously. It dives great and while you do feel higher than the S, not to the point fo being unstable in any way like any other SUV. It may be a little noisier than S as well too, wind/road noise I'd say. And it could also feel a little less solid/flex more I'd say due to the FWDs, etc.

Drive one and you'll know pretty quickly. Main thing is to get the right seat configuration based on cargo versus people. For people 6 is the way to go if don't need full 7. 6 with no console even. Get 7 or 5 for cargo space only.

I really love the X, and look forward to making that our second car. My main car is a MS P100D, but when I get a loaner, I always ask for the X. When I drive the loaner X for a while, I think, man, the auto-presenting doors, falcon wing doors, windshield and little things like the fob proximity sensing ability is superior in the X. It's incredibly fast in any version for an SUV or even compared to other cars.

There is no vehicle on earth I enjoy driving more WITH other people in the car than the Model X.

There is no car on earth I love driving solo than my Model S. Total control on the road. It is incredibly nimble, and fun to drive.

For this reason, once the Performance Model 3 gets uncorked with 2.5 second 0-60, I believe that will be the most fun Tesla to drive.... and it may currently be the case even with it being a little slower.

So, in summary,IMO best car on the road = Model S P100D; best SUV on the road would be any version of the model X (60,75,100, or P100D).... Most fun Tesla to drive without using AP, likely the Model 3 performance.

Most annoying thing about the Model S after driving the X for a few days?, lack of auto-presenting doors, lack of panoramic front windshield. If they add these two features to the Model S, along with the ability to auto deploy a shade overhead instead of the pop in, I might just cry with joy.

Reactions: GazUK67