Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From ordering to receiving a VIN in less than 24 hours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to place an order last night (3-25-2021 for a MYP Midnight Silver , Black Interior, No tow hitch, no FDS, just the basics ) expecting to get cozy and wait the long process that everyone's been experiencing.

Today, I get an email that my Final Balance is now ready? I selected the Cash Option initially because when ordering it showed 1-10 weeks where as when I looked last (Last week was 1-3 weeks) so that gave myself a month or so to do some 3rd party financing my own/ reach out to a SA once I get a VIN to have them change the payment option to Tesla Finance so I get hit with multiple credit checks all at once vs diff months and the loan offer will still be valid BUT today I find out (3-26-2021) that I have a vin assigned.

Not sure if I should be super excited if this was the end of the quarter push to rushing out cars that might have issues or if this was a rejected MYP recently and the system qued it to me after a rejection? It's been less than 24 hours since I ordered and I read lot of you guys have seen your Estimated Delivery day change so maybe this is whats going to happen to me too.

My questions are

-How long after I ordered do I have to contact Tesla to have them change my cash option to now Tesla Finance and then go thru the credit checks? Or can they do this whenever the customer request?

-How soon was a Sales Adviser assigned to you after your order? I'm debating on calling/ chatting Tesla thru the chat that most people mentioned on here or just wait for a SA to call/ email me about details?

-When do you start submitting for the rebates that might apply to you? Is this before you get the car/ after you receive the car? I live in Los Angeles if that helps. I believe there are few clean air programs available and want to start submitting so I'm "in line" if I do qualify.

Thanks in advance.

Just got a text, that now supposedly they are dropping off the car to my residence in 2-4 days?!?! Before my residence did not qualify for in home delivery. I wouldnt have gone this route either if they allowed me so I can at least inspect the car at their location and possibly reject.

I'm in Los Angeles so I it was either in Burbank or Marina del Ray. I selected Burbank.

I guess Ill have to call them and hope I'm able to talk to a live person / possibly get a SA assigned to me

I'm not in a rush for a car and was expecting to take delivery as early as end of April/ May

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to place an order last night (3-25-2021 for a MYP Midnight Silver , Black Interior, No tow hitch, no FDS, just the basics ) expecting to get cozy and wait the long process that everyone's been experiencing.

Today, I get an email that my Final Balance is now ready? I selected the Cash Option initially because when ordering it showed 1-10 weeks where as when I looked last (Last week was 1-3 weeks) so that gave myself a month or so to do some 3rd party financing my own/ reach out to a SA once I get a VIN to have them change the payment option to Tesla Finance so I get hit with multiple credit checks all at once vs diff months and the loan offer will still be valid BUT today I find out (3-26-2021) that I have a vin assigned.

Not sure if I should be super excited if this was the end of the quarter push to rushing out cars that might have issues or if this was a rejected MYP recently and the system qued it to me after a rejection? It's been less than 24 hours since I ordered and I read lot of you guys have seen your Estimated Delivery day change so maybe this is whats going to happen to me too.

My questions are

-How long after I ordered do I have to contact Tesla to have them change my cash option to now Tesla Finance and then go thru the credit checks? Or can they do this whenever the customer request?

-How soon was a Sales Adviser assigned to you after your order? I'm debating on calling/ chatting Tesla thru the chat that most people mentioned on here or just wait for a SA to call/ email me about details?

-When do you start submitting for the rebates that might apply to you? Is this before you get the car/ after you receive the car? I live in Los Angeles if that helps. I believe there are few clean air programs available and want to start submitting so I'm "in line" if I do qualify.

Thanks in advance.
I ordered ours on 3/22 and got the VIN yesterday, 3/26 w/est delivery 3/29--31. Long range, red, tow hitch, black interior.

Same thing happened to me last week. Ordered and was told that it would be several weeks. A few hours later, I had a vin. Mine is 139xxx
X2. Ordered my car ~6 weeks ago on a Saturday and they said figure 4 weeks, give or take.

I had a VIN the NEXT DAY - Sunday. VIN 124xxx

11 days later I took delivery.

The sales guy admitted the cars were already built, waiting to be purchased. It was just a matter of shipping the car to my location.

I called into Burbank Tesla center and the person explained they were trying to deliver as many cars before the quarter ended.

I then finally spoke to my assigned SA and they mentioned the same except didnt want to rush me into accepting it

I guess we'll see from other members how their QC are during this time. I'm sure they'll be fine but I was definitely in no rush to getting a car in such a short time. I just hope when I'm ready I didnt waste this opportunity when I was assigned a VIN/ Car and no delays

I had a VIN assigned in 90 minutes (possibly quicker) but it was 90 minutes after ordering that I logged back into my account and saw it. Delivered 5 days later it was brand new, 142xxx vin. This was 2 weeks ago and loving every minute. Did the loan through Tesla (Chase 1.94%) so the timeline worked. The only thing I can suggest is do not do delivery the day after your 2nd vaccine. I felt like crap and couldn’t really enjoy delivery day ;)

Reactions: alloverx
I had a VIN assigned in 90 minutes (possibly quicker) but it was 90 minutes after ordering that I logged back into my account and saw it. Delivered 5 days later it was brand new, 142xxx vin. This was 2 weeks ago and loving every minute. Did the loan through Tesla (Chase 1.94%) so the timeline worked. The only thing I can suggest is do not do delivery the day after your 2nd vaccine. I felt like crap and couldn’t really enjoy delivery day ;)
Your situation is almost identical to mine.

The day before my delivery was suppose to happen (Sunday) I also took my vaccine.

Except I ended up delaying my delivery.

I just hope when I hit the "I'm ready" on the app for end of April that I get a new vin assigned to me fairly quick

From last I checked on some of the other posts, I think people with MYP orders
How did you get such a great rate? And I thought Tesla used Wells Fargo??

Tesla uses whoever. They used Chase for me, and BoA for a friend of mine who lives 20 miles away, so it’s not even based on location.

Had my VIN assigned about 2 hours after my order, back in January, when it said 3-6 weeks. Delivery day ended up being 3 days later. I guess not that surprising since I live near Fremont... Had a brand new VIN and the heated steering wheel, double pane windows etc, so I knew it had just come off the line within a few days. No panel gaps or anything. I was nervous I was getting a rejected car but it really didn’t look like it. Just assumed I got lucky. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for some of the differences in timelines that people see...

Reactions: qman66
Just got a text, that now supposedly they are dropping off the car to my residence in 2-4 days?!?! Before my residence did not qualify for in home delivery. I wouldnt have gone this route either if they allowed me so I can at least inspect the car at their location and possibly reject.

I'm in Los Angeles so I it was either in Burbank or Marina del Ray. I selected Burbank.

I guess Ill have to call them and hope I'm able to talk to a live person / possibly get a SA assigned to me

I'm not in a rush for a car and was expecting to take delivery as early as end of April/ May
They did the same thing to me. Told me that they can’t deliver to my address and that I would have to pick the car up at Burbank on a Saturday. Friday night the car just showed up at my house. Lol, I never jumped off the couch so fast in my life. It was a great surprise. Tesla’s customer service is like a restaurant - sometimes you get the best waiter on the planet, other times you get a stoner who asks you what you ordered again only 30 seconds after he/she originally took your order! It’s weird.

They did the same thing to me. Told me that they can’t deliver to my address and that I would have to pick the car up at Burbank on a Saturday. Friday night the car just showed up at my house. Lol, I never jumped off the couch so fast in my life. It was a great surprise. Tesla’s customer service is like a restaurant - sometimes you get the best waiter on the planet, other times you get a stoner who asks you what you ordered again only 30 seconds after he/she originally took your order! It’s weird.
Wow thats quite the surprised.

I opted in again. I got a similar vin, I havent heard from my SA yet but there is no end of quarter push so I think Ill eventually hear from them. I rather go to Burbank to inspect the car and possibly inspect but I have a feeling the might push for home delivery again.

Your situation is almost identical to mine.

The day before my delivery was suppose to happen (Sunday) I also took my vaccine.

Except I ended up delaying my delivery.

I just hope when I hit the "I'm ready" on the app for end of April that I get a new vin assigned to me fairly quick
I did the same thing. Ordered 4/5, it gave me a tentative delivery for 4/8 which I wanted to postponed for a few weeks. Hit “I’m ready” earlier this week, and now the delivery is scheduled for June 5-June 25. Talked to someone about it and they said that’s the most likely timeframe. This is my personal experience and obviously everyone’s car configuration is different, but just letting you know not to get your hopes up for early delivery!