Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From P85D to.....which Ludicrous model to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am likely to part ways with my first Model S soon. A preowned P85D+ with Insane I bought from Tesla. I had it for about a year and a half and admittedly jumped into it not knowing much. I still love the car, but if I knew what I knew now I would have definitely tried to find one with Ludicrous and upgraded sound. The main thing with Ludicrous is the continued power in a lower state of charge. There's a great graph somewhere showing the massive drop off for the Insane P85D vs. any other Ludicrous car. That always bothered me with my car.

I'm now in the market again and already kind of know what I want, but I also know the wealth of information and experience here should not be overlooked and maybe there are some things I'm just not considering or thinking of.

What I'm heavily leaning towards is a 2018 P100DL post March build so it has MCU2 with white interior. But I have second thoughts and wonder if I really should pony up that much money. I don't need to go 2.4 from 0 to 60. AP1 is great and I don't need white seats. But having 2.5 AP with sentry mode, better range and yes the 2.4 speed would be fun.

Anybody have some words of wisdom or thoughts? I've gone from the low end of finding just a P85DL and saving 30-40k to finding a used P90DL v3 batter to ordering a new Raven.

The only things I definitely want is the L, glass or sunroof and upgraded sound. I do really, really want white interior but I can probably live without it...

I don't think anyone needs 2.4 ;) but it's very fun to have. I do like the acceleration enough to not consider a non L car.
+1 for just going straight to the Raven Performance (P100DL). You should feel a dramatic difference, particularly with Ludicrous+ and Launch Mode. I went from a P90DL v1 to Raven Performance. Every day driving is about the same. But the additional power is there if/when you want it, and WOW.

Is there a reason you need to get rid of your P85D? Why not just keep that? The latest Model S aren't that different from what you have.

No real reason but I think you are the first person who (at least from the signature) seems to have a P100D and mentions that it doesn't seem to be that different from the P85D. Just from the loaner cars I've had, I've noticed some obvious and also minor improvements that I do like:

- Refresh nose
- MCU2
- Better bluetooth
- Less rattles/creaks
- Glass roof

The only things I definitely want is the L

Have you asked Tesla if they can upgrade your car to ludicrous? There was an upgrade on some p85d cars that they could do with some upgraded cabling and software. While I don't think it was ever cheap it would likely be less than taking the depreciation hit, low balled trade in deal, upgrade costs and paying taxes again.

Also similarly sound might be an upgrade Tesla can do or aftermarket solutions would be well worth exploring before you trade in a car based on a sound system!

No real reason but I think you are the first person who (at least from the signature) seems to have a P100D and mentions that it doesn't seem to be that different from the P85D. Just from the loaner cars I've had, I've noticed some obvious and also minor improvements that I do like:

- Refresh nose
- MCU2
- Better bluetooth
- Less rattles/creaks
- Glass roof
If you can afford it, I would go for it based on the above as well as a whole bunch of other notable improvements as the ones below:

Facelift Front End
Frunk & Hood Changes
Body Colored Rocker Panels
New Diffuser
3-Way LED Headlights
New Dashboard & Defrost Vents
Factory Tinted Windows
Glass Roof
Warmer Interior LED Lighting
Better Windshield (less warping)
Darker Dash & MCU Trim
New Center Console
New Front & Rear Seats
Lumbar & Headrest Adjustments
New Folding Side Mirror Mounts
Rear USB Ports & Cupholders
New Parcel Shelf
Vegan Interior
BioDefense Mode
High Resolution Rear Camera
High Resolution MCU Screen
High Resolution Binnacle Screen
AutoPilot Cameras
AP HW 3
MCU 2
Navigation on Auto Pilot
100kWh Battery
48A Charger
200kW Super Charging
600km Range
170wH/km Efficiency
TeslaCam
Sentry
New Charge Port
PMSR Front Motor
Silicon Carbide Inverters
Adaptive Suspension
*Much* quieter ride (Air & Road Noise)
New Suspension Geometry & Steering Rack
Ceramic Wheel Bearings
Standard Pilot Sport 4 Tires
Arcade Games

And, the Performance L was only about $5K more than the 85D in 2015

Changes & Updates to the Model S over the Past 4 Years

Reactions: Don TLR
As a P85D owner, I wouldn't do what you're considering. Someone else said it best, too much money for too little gain. If money is not any issue, the itch is real, and patience is not a virtue, get a raven. The fact that you are considering a used vehicle makes me wonder if money is an issue (or at least a consideration), in which case what you are considering makes no financial sense.

From a driving perspective, on a daily basis, I don't use the potential power offered by the P85D, making a trade monetarily senseless for someone like myself. Obviously, your driving style and preferences are different so maybe it makes sense for you, however I would recommend a smart financial decision that makes you happy. That would be different for all of us individually. I would also add:

- If money is not an issue, waiting for a Plaid version makes more sense as it will be most up to date (and help move the company forward). Buying used fails to do either.
- To re-iterate a previous comment, you can upgrade your P85D. New nosecone, stereo upgrade and, if you choose, new leather or re-upholstered seats. All of which will be cheaper than getting a new car. I'm almost positive you can no longer acquire the L upgrade for out P85D.

Good luck in your decision.

Apologies I should have clarified when I bumped the post - sold the P85D already. Now just looking for its replacement.

Right now I’m seeing about a 10-12k difference in going Raven vs 2018 P100D. Just wondering if that’s worth it or not. I can swing the Raven monetarily, but I do want to maximize value.

I’d say try to drive both of them and see how they compare to you. Value is subjective. Raven will get you adaptive suspension, slightly quicker 1/4 mile times, more range and latest AP hardware.

The Plaid Model S will undoubtedly be compelling when released, but Elon has already stated it will be at a higher price point that the Performance cars today.

I would have likely waited if I knew the Plaid car was on the horizon, but I had already upgraded to the Raven, and so far have zero regrets.

Reactions: Litigate28
I’d say try to drive both of them and see how they compare to you. Value is subjective. Raven will get you adaptive suspension, slightly quicker 1/4 mile times, more range and latest AP hardware.

The Plaid Model S will undoubtedly be compelling when released, but Elon has already stated it will be at a higher price point that the Performance cars today.

I would have likely waited if I knew the Plaid car was on the horizon, but I had already upgraded to the Raven, and so far have zero regrets.

Thanks. That’s probably the best bet if I can find variations of both. By the way any issues with having the Arachnids on the Raven? That would be my likely setup.

Thanks. That’s probably the best bet if I can find variations of both. By the way any issues with having the Arachnids on the Raven? That would be my likely setup.

No issues with the Arachnids so far. The standard issues with 21" wheels do apply, including being a little noisier, rougher riding and a higher risk of pothole damage. But for me, it's worth it. Handling is great.

Have you asked Tesla if they can upgrade your car to ludicrous? There was an upgrade on some p85d cars that they could do with some upgraded cabling and software. While I don't think it was ever cheap it would likely be less than taking the depreciation hit, low balled trade in deal, upgrade costs and paying taxes again.

Tesla ended their $5,000 Ludicrous Upgrade program (vs. "regular" $10,000 cost) a couple of years ago... and it was only available to original P85D owners who purchased before June 30, 2015. Our 2015 P85D+ qualified but I drove it Insane for a couple of years before finally deciding to upgrade it to Ludicrous just before the Upgrade program ended. Love the additional Ludicrous power (mostly 30+ MPH) and the Plus Suspension... especially with the significantly lighter and stronger "staggered" Arachnid wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (much better than the "square" Turbines & Continental ContiSportContact tires).

I'd love a P100D Raven mostly for the range and AP2.5+ benefits... but the cost to "upgrade" is huge.

But if I can find an "inventory" P100D+ I might sell my "unicorn" P85D+... but in the meantime I'm getting way too many SMILES per kW to spend $50,000 more for a newer Model S