Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Panamera Twin Turbo to Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dratifk

Model Y LR Seven Seater RED
I'm coming from a Panamera TT and just put in my order for a Tesla with the following config:

Model S 85 72,400
Blue Metallic Paint 750
All Glass Panormaic Roof 2500
19” Wheels
Black Nappa Leather 1500
Obeche Wood 650
Supercharger
Tech Package 3750
Smart Suspension 2250
Parking Sensor 500
Subzero weather package 750
19” Michelin Primacy

I realize I'm going from a performance car to a non performance however I'm doing this on purpose as I never really ever fully pushed the Panamera to its limits. I was hoping to get some suggestions in configuration . First I was going sans the Panoramic Roof but doing alacantra. Now I'm think Pano Roof and go without Alacantra. What do you guys think? Also is the Subzero worth it as I live in Upstate NY? Any Advice would be helpfull.

+1 on the dedicated winter tires and wheels (Nokian R2, Michelin XIce3). The pano roof is necessary if adults are to sit in the back seat. I prefer the piano black to the woods because it makes the car look more modern (the carbon fibre is good too). The parking sensor wasn't available when I purchased mine, but I don't miss not having it. I also got the sound package, which I'm really enjoying (however, it was far less expensive when I ordered). The one thing I don't see in your list is the interior lighting. It adds a lot of wow to the car, even though it's now kind of pricey.

Thanks Guys. I never use the sunroof in any of my cars. I was thinking of skipping the Pano Roof however, is the regular roof lining good enough or should i def go with alacantra. I had it in my porsche but it would get dirty easy and Never really appreciated it.

I never use the pano roof while driving, but it's great for keeping the car cool in hot weather. It's also easy to keep clean on the interior.

Thanks Guys. I never use the sunroof in any of my cars. I was thinking of skipping the Pano Roof however, is the regular roof lining good enough or should i def go with alacantra. I had it in my porsche but it would get dirty easy and Never really appreciated it.

There's very little of the headliner when you have the pano. Just on the pillars, and the small sections of roof that aren't glass.

Also came from a Panamera and love my Model S.

My comments are about the one option you haven't put on your list - the choice between the S85 and P85+

My heads-up to anyone making the transition from a Panamera to a Model S is:
If you spend most of your time on freeways or relatively straight roads you'll never miss your Panamera.

However, and this is a big however, if a significant percentage of your driving (or the part that you enjoyed in the Panamera) is on twisty roads - you are going to regret not having the P85+.
There's no getting around that while the Tesla is better in most respects, the Panamera has a much better suspension than the standard S or P.

The Panamera is glued to the road on taking curves at high-speed. The P floats and recovers poorly.

I had a P85+ loaner for four days, ran it on the same curvy roads, and it's much, much closer to the Panamera in handling.
Knowing what I know now, if the P85+ had been available when I ordered my car (2012) I definitely would have ordered the + (even with all the downsides of the 21" tires.)

My BMWs all came (off the lot) with a sun roof and I seldom if ever opened one of them. I did, however, have to have two serviced so I chose to avoid the Pano. Given some of the threads on Pano teething problems, you may want to avoid it. I'm also 6'4" and never have a clearance problem in the car but then I do not drive from the back seat.

Now for the big ones for me. Please take some time to drive a few cars back to back. The P vs. S question polarizes a lot of people. My lifetime usage across a few cars is around 310 Whr/mile which is not that high. I use the acceleration of my P from time to time and would not be without it. However, I am not in the least bit upset when driving my wife's S (probably because it is White and drop dead gorgeous. I never thought I would say that.) so I can see how someone could be perfectly happy with an S. Take the time to settle into both and be honest with yourself. There is more than one buyer who has regretted not getting the P. They end up taking the very expensive route of upgrading (selling and buying a P).

My second issue has reared its head ever more aggressively as I put miles on my P+ and my wife's S. Air versus coil springs are, to me, a very big deal. The air ride is smoother at the expense of being disconnected. That is saying something when the air is in the P+ and I find myself preferring the S BY FAR. Again, see if you can spend some time in air and coil spring (not active air) cars back to back. They feel a world different to me. My ideal would be the P+ on springs lowered to the Standard ride height of the active air car.

Note: Others are not nearly as neurotic as me and could really care less about the above so do take my comments with a grain of salt :)

Edit:
I just read SGB's comments about the P+. I was one who sold a P to buy the P+ as the + was not available on my first go round so I have to agree. If you can get the P+ without air, I strongly suggest you consider it. The ride height will be slightly higher but the springs make up for that and much more.

I just visited the design studio and you can click OFF active air on a P85+. Shoot. Improvements in the order process have made me envious yet again. I'm currently working with the Service Center to de-activate the active air option on my car.

Last edited:
Dratifk,

A small comment, to offer a dissenting opinion to Montgom626's regarding twin chargers.

I see you are in Rochester, NY. If you plan on road trips to Canada, the twin charger can be a very good thing to have. The SCH network of 70A chargers covers the country coast to coast, and a single charger will only allow you to use 40A. This significantly affects charging time.

At this point in time, superchargers are essentially absent from Canada (fingers crossed on current deployment plans).

It is also more expensive, but feasible, to add a second charger after your car is built, so you are not locked out of that option at a later point in time.

Congrats on your purchase!

Last time I went to Canada was 3 years ago so no I don't usually go to Canada much. We have Chevy Volt my wife loves as a great drive around town car. We have 23K miles on it with 3 tanks of gas over the last 2 years. Our other car we just sold was our Mercedes GL350 Blutec for a 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite. That is the Car we take on long trips.

The Model S is my Daily Driver and 99% of the times its a commuter car. My work is only 20 Miles away one way. I have Family in Central NJ so it would be fun to go to NJ without using gas but that would mean a Supercharger in Syracuse or Binghamton NY.

As far as the S85 or P85. Gotta be honest My budget at this time is around 85K after rebate. P85 is 100K min. I took a bath on selling my Porsche Panamera TT and really don't want to buy a 100K plus car.

My plan is to replace the 2014 Odyssey in 5-10 years when superchargers are everywhere.

Last edited:
You may think you will be using the Honda for long trips until you've driven the MS for a week. My 2nd car is a MB S-550 which is a great touring car. But the MS gets the not every time. And I really miss having the 2nd charger. Very useful when traveling. Most Tesla Stores/Service Centers have 80 amp HPWC's, and I use, but am limited to 40 amps.

I just visited the design studio and you can click OFF active air on a P85+. Shoot. Improvements in the order process have made me envious yet again. I'm currently working with the Service Center to de-activate the active air option on my car.
I saw your post, which made me want to call my DS instinctively. I asked about this exact config and was denied. I tried to replicate what you saw, but as soon as I uncheck the air suspension, the Plus package is removed as well. So I don't think there's been any change: + still requires the 21"s and air.

dratifk,

I just wanted to comment on the sub-zero package because it doesn't look like a lot of people did.

I think you should get it -- for a couple reasons:

1) the windshield washer jets could potentially freeze as they are sitting in the frunk (which doesn't have a big hot engine as ICE cars do to keep them warm)
2) the bottom of the windshield could get ice buildup and again without the big ICE engine to warm the windshield, it may be hard to get rid of (easy when it heats up in the SZ package)
3) you'll find yourself using the seat warmers + a lower cabin temp to conserve power in winter, so having rear seat warmers will be welcome to your rear passengers

Just my two cents. :)

- Rob

If you're coming from a Porsche, you need to get the P+--period.
21" tires are a must--you will kick yourself if you get 19" and you are use to a Porsche--trust me, I came from a 911.
I thought he explained pretty well why he didn't think that was the case.

Not sure about the wheels, either. The 911 comes stock with 19"s, and the Panamera with 18"s (though his Turbo comes with 19"s). Not exactly a ringing endorsement for 21"s.