Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Starlink with Love - TMC Podcast #3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Description -
In this episode, we start off by telling you a little more about us, the co-hosts. We then answer a question related to hardware versions for FSD beta, before launching into a broader discussion on FSD Beta, whether or not to purchase or subscribe to FSD, and Phantom Braking. We then touch briefly on the CCS1 adapter. After that we discuss the weaponization of smart devices, and how Elon is being asked to brick Teslas in Russia. On a related topic, we discuss how Starlink and Powerwalls are being sent to Ukraine, and how Starlink is now more broadly being used successfully in rural areas. Finally, we talk about the potential re-purposing of vehicle battery packs for use in the home, and mention the upcoming Austin Gigafest event.

Timestamps-
0:00 Intro
0:33 About us, the co-hosts
13:51 Viewer question: upgrading HW1 for FSD Beta.
26:11 To purchase FSD, or to subscribe to FSD? That is the question.
34:54 Phantom braking.
40:13 CCS1 Adapter
45:07 Elon being asked to brick Teslas in Russia - weaponization of smart devices
47:10 Starlink and Powerwalls to Ukraine
49:10 Re-purposing of used battery packs into a Powerwall?
55:12 Starlink deployed in rural areas.
1:01:47 Austin Gigafest`

Co-hosts:

Producers:

Audio version:

Social:

Support us-
TMC Podcast #3.png

Description -
In this episode, we start off by telling you a little more about us, the co-hosts. We then answer a question related to hardware versions for FSD beta, before launching into a broader discussion on FSD Beta, whether or not to purchase or subscribe to FSD, and Phantom Braking. We then touch briefly on the CCS1 adapter. After that we discuss the weaponization of smart devices, and how Elon is being asked to brick Teslas in Russia. On a related topic, we discuss how Starlink and Powerwalls are being sent to Ukraine, and how Starlink is now more broadly being used successfully in rural areas. Finally, we talk about the potential re-purposing of vehicle battery packs for use in the home, and mention the upcoming Austin Gigafest event.

Timestamps-
0:00 Intro
0:33 About us, the co-hosts
13:51 Viewer question: upgrading HW1 for FSD Beta.
26:11 To purchase FSD, or to subscribe to FSD? That is the question.
34:54 Phantom braking.
40:13 CCS1 Adapter
45:07 Elon being asked to brick Teslas in Russia - weaponization of smart devices
47:10 Starlink and Powerwalls to Ukraine
49:10 Re-purposing of used battery packs into a Powerwall?
55:12 Starlink deployed in rural areas.
1:01:47 Austin Gigafest`

Co-hosts:

Producers:

Audio version:

Social:

Support us-
View attachment 781428
But you got it completely wrong regarding the question about using FSD Beta with MCU 1. You incorrectly thought the op conflated some terms and tried to correct him. However, he was totally correct in what he was asking. What followed was pure misinformation.

The first cars with AP2 hardware were delivered with MCU 1. These were mostly model S and X in the 2016-17 era. You were correct in that the MCU should have little to do with FSD functionality. But, nonetheless, Tesla still does not support this hardware configuration for FSD. To remedy this, Tesla would either have to update MCU 1 to provide the FSD computer the information it needs, or would need to update these cars to MCU 2. Since MCU 1 is end of life, I doubt they will update it. So replacing the MCU (which is an established upgrade path) is really the only option. Owners have had the option to pay for this for years, but I believe op is hoping Tesla will pay, as they were promised the hardware needed for FSD back when they purchased the car.

Nobody at any time was ever promised an upgrade path from AP1.

Reactions: preilly44
But you got it completely wrong regarding the question about using FSD Beta with MCU 1. You incorrectly thought the op conflated some terms and tried to correct him. However, he was totally correct in what he was asking. What followed was pure misinformation.

The first cars with AP2 hardware were delivered with MCU 1. These were mostly model S and X in the 2016-17 era. You were correct in that the MCU should have little to do with FSD functionality. But, nonetheless, Tesla still does not support this hardware configuration for FSD. To remedy this, Tesla would either have to update MCU 1 to provide the FSD computer the information it needs, or would need to update these cars to MCU 2. Since MCU 1 is end of life, I doubt they will update it. So replacing the MCU (which is an established upgrade path) is really the only option. Owners have had the option to pay for this for years, but I believe op is hoping Tesla will pay, as they were promised the hardware needed for FSD back when they purchased the car.

Nobody at any time was ever promised an upgrade path from AP1.
Appreciate the feedback. I wouldn't say that there is misinformation, just that I left a few things out and maybe misinterpreted what the OP was asking about specifically. You're right that there are some cars with MCU1 and HW2. But MCU1 cars predate HW2 as well and the person posting the quest didn't specify which year model S/X they had. The problem with MCU1 and the "FSD Beta" seems to have more to do with visualizations around the car and some of the interconnection between MCU1 and ECU/HW2+. So really, you have to upgrade to an MCU2+ to run the FSD Beta software...and as you said...Tesla lets you pay for the upgrade but he wants tesla to pay which I don't expect them to do. I do feel that Tesla is mostly ignoring the issue and hoping it goes away (people upgrading or getting new cars). I don't think the infotainment system has the power to support their new software releases and/or they aren't interested in maintaining separate builds just for legacy hardware folks.

So my apologies for leaving some stuff out and/or misinterpreting the original question as that wasn't my intention. But I do thing the end-result / outcome of what I said is still true. Tesla is unlikely to pay for it, and unlikely to release new FSD software that runs with an MCU1 car. You'll most likely have to upgrade out of your own pocket.

Appreciate the feedback. I wouldn't say that there is misinformation, just that I left a few things out and maybe misinterpreted what the OP was asking about specifically. You're right that there are some cars with MCU1 and HW2. But MCU1 cars predate HW2 as well and the person posting the quest didn't specify which year model S/X they had. The problem with MCU1 and the "FSD Beta" seems to have more to do with visualizations around the car and some of the interconnection between MCU1 and ECU/HW2+. So really, you have to upgrade to an MCU2+ to run the FSD Beta software...and as you said...Tesla lets you pay for the upgrade but he wants tesla to pay which I don't expect them to do. I do feel that Tesla is mostly ignoring the issue and hoping it goes away (people upgrading or getting new cars). I don't think the infotainment system has the power to support their new software releases and/or they aren't interested in maintaining separate builds just for legacy hardware folks.

So my apologies for leaving some stuff out and/or misinterpreting the original question as that wasn't my intention. But I do thing the end-result / outcome of what I said is still true. Tesla is unlikely to pay for it, and unlikely to release new FSD software that runs with an MCU1 car. You'll most likely have to upgrade out of your own
thanks for the response. I certainly didn’t mean to imply you were deliberately misleading anyone. I greatly appreciate and enjoy this podcast. Please keep up the good work!

I don't think the infotainment system has the power to support their new software releases and/or they aren't interested in maintaining separate builds just for legacy hardware folks.

I think the Atom processor in the MCU2 is struggling at times with the FSD Beta software as well. It generally works fine but if you are doing virtually anything remotely taxing (e.g. using the web browser) while driving, the visualizations start to skip and stutter.

I was driving the other day using FSD Beta and my passenger (young adult) wanted to play with the sketchpad app. Attempting to open the toybox caused the entire system to lock up and freeze. I don't mean crash and reboot - I mean completely frozen - which is a little terrifying when the car has AP enabled while driving 60+ MPH on a road. Scroll-wheel reset eventually got it back up and running but it took a LONG time to reboot.

Of course, the other way to look at it - is that this is beta software and is certainly not optimized well. With that being said, I really have to question whether the MCU1 hardware can run the FSD Beta software effectively (if at all).

Good work on the podcast so far guys. 👍

• Informative
Reactions: nebusoft and danny
I think the Atom processor in the MCU2 is struggling at times with the FSD Beta software as well. It generally works fine but if you are doing virtually anything remotely taxing (e.g. using the web browser) while driving, the visualizations start to skip and stutter.

I was driving the other day using FSD Beta and my passenger (young adult) wanted to play with the sketchpad app. Attempting to open the toybox caused the entire system to lock up and freeze. I don't mean crash and reboot - I mean completely frozen - which is a little terrifying when the car has AP enabled while driving 60+ MPH on a road. Scroll-wheel reset eventually got it back up and running but it took a LONG time to reboot.

Of course, the other way to look at it - is that this is beta software and is certainly not optimized well. With that being said, I really have to question whether the MCU1 hardware can run the FSD Beta software effectively (if at all).

Good work on the podcast so far guys. 👍
Remember, MCU1 does not run FSD Beta. It only (presumably) provides data to the AP computer. It doesn't even do the visualizations, as the IC is a separate, standalone computer separate from the MCU. That being said, the IC may not be able to handle the visualizations.

Enjoyed the Podcast guys, learned a few things and was great to hear about CCS as I was interested in that. Thanks

Oh, I forgot. . . Mike cool that you lived at a lighthouse. I'm a member of the US Lighthouse Society and just checked my Lighthouse Passport and count that I have visited 45 lighthouses. But, not yours, maybe someday. Love lighthouses, fersnel lens, steam fog horns, just all of it. And now Tesla cars!

Last edited:
Reactions: nebusoft and danny