Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From TDI to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thread brought up the topic of what vehicle you are leaving when you go to Model 3. I know there were several posters who said they were moving out of the (recalled) TDIs. There are several issues inherent with this unique buyback program and the still-in-the-somewhat-distant-future Model 3. I thought of just doing a post about this and anyone interested can post, but perhaps it would be better to do a "group" for TDI refugees where we can chat. I'd be curious to get input from other TDI folk as to what is the best method for visibility and input on this forum.

Reactions: Jurnimon
I too am a hypermiling TDI afficionado, err, was... My Model S P75D pulled into my driveway last Saturday. I am currently seeking a needy soul to gift my Jetta to. I could sell it for 2500 to 3500 with no problem. It is a wine colored 2004 automatic wagon with 246K on the body and 87K on the motor. average was 42 to 46 mpg depending on weather. high was 49.3. And I confess I've toyed with coasting in the Model S in nuetral, Man! the Tesla really coasts 50% further. BUT, I feel I have too many things to learn up front with the Model S and will hold off on hypermiling experiments. Although I have driven at 60 mph for long distance and it definitely increases battery range between 5 and 10 percent. I've driven a TDI for the last 8 years and am moving on. I probably would not join a TDI group on here but would probably make occassional comparison comments. If you must wait for the Model 3, and I truly understand why, then read the manuals watch the videos and keep chatting with the hopeful!
Oh and my wife is planning on a Model 3 after her Prius V is done.

Reactions: Red Sage
I had an '04 Passat Wagon. That was a great car. My current TDI which is subject to the buyback is a 2012 Jetta. I reserved a Model 3 on the first morning (pre-reveal) after waiting in line. I was about 50th in line at my location. So I should have low number. The Jetta doesn't have to be turned in until the end of 2018, so I'm hopeful the Model 3 will be here by then. If not, I'll have to buy another car to bridge- something used with a good resale to preserve as much of the value as I can. I'll be getting ~$20k back from VW when I turn in the TDI, which I intend to put right into the Model 3. So there are a lot of timing issues here, as well as Plan B if the Model 3 timeline slips...

Last edited:
We had a 2014 Passat SEL TDi. We traded it in shortly after the scandal along with my smaller diesel SUV for a larger Diesel SUV as our family grew in size. At he time, we were contemplating putting a deposit on a MX but thought the lead time for a 70D would be a year or more. We had the one car until we settled on a MS instead. I plan on using the TDi settlement money towards a few of the payments. I was a huge VW fan owning three in my life time. The scandal will prevent us from ever buying another VW. Owning a Telsa has made it very hard to consider another ICE. We have a reservation for the Model 3 which will most likely be my wife's car and I hope to get in a MX to replace our SUV once the kids are out of car seats. It will take a while to "break even" on the extra pollution we put in the air from driving our fraudulent TDi but using the MS for most of our trips sure is a start!

Last edited:
My current TDI which is subject to the buyback is a 2012 Jetta. I reserved a Model 3 on the first morning (pre-reveal) after waiting in line. I was about 50th in line at my location. So I should have low number. The Jetta doesn't have to be turned in until the end of 2018, so I'm hopeful the Model 3 will be here by then. If not, I'll have to buy another car to bridge- something used with a good resale to preserve as much of the value as I can. I'll be getting ~$20k back from VW when I turn in the TDI, which I intend to put right into the Model 3.

Whenever I read about this subject, I get really mad. As a matter of fact, every cheated VW owner in Europe does. Imho the way VW goes about this whole situation is a scandal almost as sickening as the emissions scandal itself. Treating European VW owners as second class customers only because our crappy judicial system doesn't allow class action suits like in the US.
If we got such a buyback program, I could use it to trade in our TDI Touran and put the money into my reserved Model 3. The final irony is, I might end up having to buy a VW or other BEV after all, if the funds don't stretch to pay for a Model 3 the way I had originally planned. Of course I hadn't planned on using any money from VW as it was clear that we would be brushed off as "your fault for trusting VW, get over it". But still, highly annoying.

UK M3 reservation holder here. We were looking at buying an Audi RS3 to go alongside our 2.0TDI Q5 at the point the emissions scandal broke, after finding out that we would not be eligible for any kind of compensation from VW I told our salesman we would not be giving the VAG group another penny again, absolutely scandalous how we have been treated in Europe v the US. Test drove a model S which we probably could have stretched to but decided to wait it out till the M3 arrives and reserved one on the same day we tested the S.

One of the considerations for us is just how big is the Model 3? There's been countless threads and comparison photos on here, but the interior is still very up in the air. The 2012 Jetta has very adequate rear seat room, and I'm hopeful that the Model 3 rear seat is similar in size. We could not tolerate an unusable rear seat like the 2001 Jetta that I used to drive. If we are forced to get an interim vehicle before the Model 3 can be delivered, I would want to find something similar to both. No need to get a SUV or a Minivan, have the wife fall in love with all the extra room, and then not want the Model 3!

Reactions: Red Sage
We cannot in good conscience drive our 2009 Jetta TDI unless we absolutely must. Our Model S is thus getting more use now, but we really need two vehicles. We plan to sell back the Jetta to VW as soon as it becomes possible and use the money to replace it with a used Volt, Leaf (or if we can find one) Kia Soul EV while waiting for the Model 3 to arrive. We have had 4 VW Group vehicles (Audi A4, A6, VW Golf and Jetta) between my wife and I over the years but we will never again purchase one after what VW has done.

We cannot in good conscience drive our 2009 Jetta TDI unless we absolutely must. Our Model S is thus getting more use now, but we really need two vehicles. We plan to sell back the Jetta to VW as soon as it becomes possible and use the money to replace it with a used Volt, Leaf (or if we can find one) Kia Soul EV while waiting for the Model 3 to arrive. We have had 4 VW Group vehicles (Audi A4, A6, VW Golf and Jetta) between my wife and I over the years but we will never again purchase one after what VW has done.

Our feeling is the same. At one time owned an Audi A6, Audi TT, and currently own a 2010 and 2013 Jetta Sportwagon. Both Jetta's are going back to VW. Don't see us owning a VW in the foreseeable future. Currently driving our Leaf and S90D but will trade the Leaf for a Model 3 -- if the Leaf retains any trade-in value.

I guess you are confident that given your spot in line that the Model 3 will be ready for pick up before the buyback program ends in 2018?

Since we own a S I'm hoping we will take delivery late 2017 early 2018. If it's getting to mid 2018 then we will get rid of the golf before getting the 3. Which willl put us in a situation because we need two cars. We too drive the MS as much as possible and leave the Golf sit. The MS also gets the long trips. It now has more mileage than the golf.

My wife drives a 2010 TDI Sportswagen. When the buyback information was released we went out and bought two more TDIs to help finance the model S that should be showing up at our house shortly. When life gives you lemons....

That being said my wife really likes her VW, at least the driving and gas milage. The reliability not so much.

Reactions: Volare3
I originally planned to drive my 2014 Passat TDI until the model 3 arrived, but recently parked it and bought a used 2013 Volt for a song as a gap car. The Passat will go back to VW as soon as they'll take it.

Very happy with the Volt so far. Great car and they're super cheap now.

My wife drives a 2010 TDI Sportswagen. When the buyback information was released we went out and bought two more TDIs to help finance the model S that should be showing up at our house shortly. When life gives you lemons....

That being said my wife really likes her VW, at least the driving and gas milage. The reliability not so much.
Sorry, but how would buying more TDIs help finance your S?

Personally, I'm unhappy that my car which seemed to be a "best of all worlds" cleaner, more efficient, and still powerful car turned out to be a lie. It's worth it to me to take the blood-money (grin) and shop around for a Civic or something that will hold its value until I get my M3.

I do kinda wish I'd thought of buying up a few cheap TDIs and reselling them back to VW though. :)