Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Tesla: Model X Safety Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no wait man. My X has been in SC already, might as well continue to be in there then. Lol. The problem with tesla is overusing electrical parts.

It isn't what the use, it is how seriously they test what they use.
For example, someone posted that they had issues with the door and they realized it was because their spouse was also in the car and had their own keys with them. I wonder if the engineers never imagined that a person might actually have a spouse and so didn't consider that corner case. LOL.

In this case, testing collision impact on seats would be a good idea, not exactly a corner case.

Open the stock app on your iPhone and select TSLA stock. Look at all of the news regarding the recall from media, wait until they hear about the door latches, build quality and other issues. If a Tesla has an issue it is more important.

It looks like they made an effort to communicate this clearly and in a straightforward way. They explained the issue, how it was identified, and what is the resolution. More than your standard recall notice.

Possibly Tesla work on communications is paying off?

Reactions: Mark Z
For what it's worth, I got a version for configured, but not yet produced orders. "Your vehicle will not be affected by this, the fix will be done when it's produced, we are committed to safety, etc."
As I posted at Discrimination or Model X part recall?, I'm pretty sure that it's against Federal law to deliver a vehicle to a customer w/o correcting an open recall first.

Yep. Got it too. Won't affect us too much, but this falls clearly into the category of "not good."
I found the notice to be VERY good ... proactive ... unlike the status quo manufacturer that actually hide defects - continues with deniability that there's even an issue until recalls are mandatory. All manufacturers should be so hypervigilant. imo it's another example of tesla continuing to set the bar far above the rest. All manufacturers will have defects / issues, especially introducing new product.

I found the notice to be VERY good ... proactive ... unlike the status quo manufacturer that actually hide defects - continues with deniability that there's even an issue until recalls are mandatory. All manufacturers should be so hypervigilant. imo it's another example of tesla continuing to set the bar far above the rest. All manufacturers will have defects / issues, especially introducing new product.
That's certainly a valid way to look at it. As someone who took delivery on 4/4, I'm slightly concerned about the fact that they knew of the issue, implemented a fix, and were building the fix by 3/26 - yet still delivered their end of quarter cars. In that way, I call it not good.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
That's certainly a valid way to look at it. As someone who took delivery on 4/4, I'm slightly concerned about the fact that they knew of the issue, implemented a fix, and were building the fix by 3/26 - yet still delivered their end of quarter cars. In that way, I call it not good.
If this was true it probably would have been better to ask the customer which they would prefer: taking delivery immediately with the seat restriction or postpone delivery. For me I would have chosen the former so no difference in the outcome.

:/... Not sure if they're trying to avoid owning up to the mistake or not...

The outside seat manufacturer of the simpler folding 3rd row seats is Futuris Automotive at their factory in Newark, CA which is near the Tesla Factory.

Originally, all seat manufacturing was in house, although it was a third party that Tesla gave space to on the factory floor. Futuris Automotive leased a 160,000 SF former Staples Inc. distribution center and converted it into a Tesla seat factory (including other interior components) in 2014 and moved this activity out of leased space inside Tesla Factory:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...aker-futuris-ramps-up-in-newark-reshores.html

Includes this image and caption: [photo credit: Noah Berger] "Tesla Model S seats are pictured on an assembly line at Futuris Automotive's 160,000 square foot plant and office space in Newark, Calif.":

futuris-seat-factory-jpg.98648

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and umeshunni