Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From the UK, Planning a Trip through France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Plugshare of ZapMap to figure out where I might need to charge (assuming Superchargers not available). For example, during a weekend stop in York I figured I would need some top-up ... plenty of charging points of course, but driving X-Miles to one, to then slow-ish charge would be an annoyance, so I looked for one in walking distance to hotel and then at car parks that we might use. (I've also used at Park & Ride on other occasions). Also need fallbacks in case occupied or bust - they don't have anything like the reliability of Supercharger stalls.

Also worth looking for 13 AMP - I asked the hotel if they had external 13 AMP, "nope", fair enough ... only ... when we got there they did indeed have one, on a wall on a circuit that fed their advertising hoarding ... 13 AMP will give you about 5 MPH, so over a weekend you'd be fully charged.

So having found suitable provider then consider how you will pay. I haven't found a single one where you can just stuff a credit-card in and pay-as-you-go. I have no idea why every vendor wants you to use their APP etc. - and sometimes even have to deposit money with them beforehand.

I download the APP before I go (high probability that may not be possible sat at the pump :( ) and authorise a card if that is an option (without making a deposit). Then i make a deposit whilst at the pump, if that's the only way to pay. CYC seems best (so far) in that they require card registration but no deposit, and then they debit the card monthly for any actual usage. In Scotland CYC is free, and CYC seem to have reciprocal deals with a number of providers which reduces the number of APPs you might need. But their APP has no idea where their pumps are ... so use PlugShare of ZapMap to find them. In York parked next to three adjacent pumps and the CYC app claimed that two of them were over two miles away in opposite directions! (Which is then a bit of a snag trying to figure out WHICH pump is the one you are actually connected to!)

I phoned CYC Support to ask what would happen if I couldn't get the APP to respond when at the pump, and they said to phone them and they would initiate charge etc. which sounded reassuring. If you are going to use a particular "brand" often then worth getting an RFID tag (more money ...) so that you can just swipe that instead of using APP (and requiring internet connection / possible delay)

I've had some points take several minutes (5 probably ...) to actually connect, and same again to disconnect. I'd be charged in that time at a Supercharger! You may also find that the 13AMP at a Type-2 [dual] charging station is free. I've plugged in for 24 hours in a multi-storey like that before ... the Type-2 alongside has a separate parking bay, so I doubt I was hogging the 13AMP from anyone else, even for a couple of hours shopping trip it probably wasn't going to make any tangible difference to anyone, but I leave my mobile number on the dash in case anyone is desperate.

I suggest you go armed with 13AMP (i.e. the UMC cable) and Type-2 cable (comes with new cars, didn't when I bought mine). I also have a long extension with seriously over-rated (ie. fat) cable [when combined with UMC overall length needs considering] for when staying with friends - their frayed lawnmower cable is probably not a good substitute! Check that the cable/plug is not warm after an hour or so, and before leaving it on overnight.

Worth considering a CHAdeMO adaptor, that will give you about 50% of Supercharger speed, which is a fair bit better than Type-2. Unlike Supercharger, which charges faster from, say, 10%-70% or 80%, CHAdeMO charges better when SoC higher - so worth charging on Outbound trip by CHAdeMO as against Return trip on Supercharger.

If you’re capable of wiring a plug, don’t bother with the schuko adapter and get yourself a quality uk extension cable capable of 13a (most are 10a) and buy yourself a European plug to put on the end. The Tesla charger is sensitive to which is neutral and live and a lot of points in some countries are wired backwards and so won’t work, i think the standard even changes in different parts.. Tesla therefore have 2 plugs, each nearly £100 and to be safe you’d need both whereas buying your own plug means you can flip the wires over quickly if needed.

Secondly if you did need an extension you’d need a European one.

Only do if you’re confident in wiring a plug but you may find a £3 plug gives you the same as £200+ of adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
a lot of points in some countries are wired backwards and so won’t work

Good point Jon, I hadn't considered that.

My in-laws had a property in France. I did some wiring there, plugged in my little tester to make sure I'd done everything right, it said Live-Neutral-swapped. I scratched my head, double-checked my wiring, traced it back ... the Live and Neutral coming into the BUILDING were swapped ...

... I have no idea if that is really really bad, it seems like it to a Brit like me used to 13AMP sockets being done "right", but maybe not so so important?

what card or app do people use/need to charge at non-Tesla stations?

Did this last summer - just over 2,000 miles in total, great way to see the country (and a great way to test AP!). We planned most of the trip around superchargers and destination chargers, which worked really well for us. As a backup, we found MObiVE to be really good where they have coverage. Just download the app.

The other main charger network that people recommend is KiWhi, but this a bit of a pain to get registered. They have an app as well, but we didn't bother with it after seeing the reviews.

I'm interested in this. We go to France a couple of times a year, up into the Alps or similar. I take the ICE People Carrier because in the main we like to get there "soonest", and swap drivers every couple of hours, although of course we also stop for food.

I'm also well aware that in USA a Road Trip, with recharging, is regarded as Not A Problem. As a driver I like the Recharging stops, in conjunction with AP I arrive fresh as a daisy (compared to the bad old days of Non-AP and ICE). However, for my passengers it just prolongs the journey ...

So am I just being a dinosaur? and should I take the MS on the next trip? As it happens we are planning a leisurely journey, rather than race-to-the-slopes, this time and 4-up ... so maybe its the best opportunity I will have to try it?

I've had a look with A Better Route Planner and its a bit tight on a couple of legs - would be better with a 100 - and I'll definitely need to charge at destination (expect a schuko adaptor and extension hanging out of the window will be possible!)!

We live in london and have a house in france, routinely do the trip across the channel 1x / month or so. First, supercharging network is great. Depending on where you are going, you can possibly manage with just that and then charge at your destination (where speed is less of an issue).

I have MobiSDEC and NewMotion. MobiSDEC is everywhere in Normandy if you are heading that way and is free to get a card, i think? NewMotion has deals with many other networks including most Sodetrel points which are fast and seem to be everywhere along motorways. I bought a Chademo adaptor at delivery and have never used it. Some use KinWhi as well although i’ve not tried it.

Key is to drive slowly on motorways! I get about 210 mile range on my MX 100D cruising at 130 kph.