Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From WSJ: Tesla asking suppliers for refund/cash to become profitable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don;'t think its that everyone is against Tesla. That is an emotional response. The non-emotional facts are they are burning cash at an unsustainable rate. The have a huge amount of debt coming do which will have to be renegotiated or defaulted on very soon. Model 3 cancelations are out pacing new orders. 20 to 25% of model 3 orders have cancelled. Tesla is a company in trouble. The cars are great, the technology is great but the company is in trouble. I saw this with Fisker. Awesome product that became an expensive paperweight when they folded.

I know Hitman007 deleted this message. Either you truly believe in this Tesla:Fisker correlation, or you are hoping that you can romp in some folks who are on the fence into dumping their M3 reservations.

Reactions: neroden
I know Hitman007 deleted this message. Either you truly believe in this Tesla:Fisker correlation, or you are hoping that you can romp in some folks who are on the fence into dumping their M3 reservations.
Didn't delete it...moved it to a reply on another post. But I am going to give it to you hard and straight since I like you. Tesla is finished. Just a matter of time.

• Funny
Reactions: GleanerC and defc0n
This liquidity talk is a big nothingburger.

"“All capital or other expenditures above a million dollars, or where a set of related expenses may accumulate to a million dollars over the next 12 months, should be considered on hold until explicitly approved by me,” he continued. “If you are the manager responsible, please make sure you have a detailed, first principles understanding of the supplier quote, including every line item of parts & labor, before we meet.”

"“All capital or other expenditures above a million dollars, or where a set of related expenses may accumulate to a million dollars over the next 12 months, should be considered on hold until explicitly approved by me,” he continued. “If you are the manager responsible, please make sure you have a detailed, first principles understanding of the supplier quote, including every line item of parts & labor, before we meet.”

So they want to maximize profits and control costs. Now this is a bad thing? Goal posts moved by the shorts....yet again.

Maybe it's the supplier that created the failed GF1 module assembly line... Would fit with timeline (2016) and desire for refund, along with previous mention of clawback in a quarterly call...

"We asked fewer than 10 suppliers for a reduction in total capex project spend for long-term projects that began in 2016 but are still not complete,"

Any thoughts on the suppliers for the other nine or so incomplete projects from 2016?

Reactions: neroden
"We asked fewer than 10 suppliers for a reduction in total capex project spend for long-term projects that began in 2016 but are still not complete,"

Any thoughts on the suppliers for the other nine or so incomplete projects from 2016?

Shrug, I thought that one made a good uncorroberated counterpoint to the vaporous allegations...

Could be infrastructure support projects at Fremont (the barnacles on barnacles). Could be contractors responsible for as of yet non-commissioned supercharger locations. Could be suppliers that didn't pass the 6k run rate by June 30th. Much house cleaning, I suppose.

Didn't delete it...moved it to a reply on another post. But I am going to give it to you hard and straight since I like you. Tesla is finished. Just a matter of time.
This is all you hear from the twitter shorts, over and over and over. They are just positive that Tesla will be bankrupt before the end of this year. There are several serious errors they are making in coming to their conclusions. They have no answer to the possibility of Tesla ramping to 6,000+ with solid model 3 gross margins over the next several months. Actually, they do. Their answer is: we don't worry about that because Tesla won't be able to do it. It's impossible. Well, what if they do? No, no, no, no, they won't. It's impossible for Tesla to do that. What if they do? The TSLAQ shorts don't even consider that possibility. In terms of the debt, it's not the panic situation shorts are convinced that it is. If the stock rises above $360 by November, I think the debt obligation is pretty simple, and I think it results in some dilution. Tesla will need to negotiate it if the stock stays below $360. If Tesla continues executing the ramp through November, hitting 6,000+ sustained, revenue growth will be absolutely massive. That will change the narrative quite a bit actually.

So they want to maximize profits and control costs. Now this is a bad thing? Goal posts moved by the shorts....yet again.

Adamantly eschewing raising capital during 2018 (and from a practical standpoint until after the audited 10k is filed in mid-February 2019) postpones future revenue growth by delaying needed expenditures for planned additional products in the development pipeline. Those products will not be available until 2020 or later, so everything is riding on profitably executing on the M3 during the next year and a half.

Adamantly eschewing raising capital during 2018 (and from a practical standpoint until after the audited 10k is filed in mid-February 2019) postpones future revenue growth by delaying needed expenditures for planned additional products in the development pipeline. Those products will not be available until 2020 or later, so everything is riding on profitably executing on the M3 during the next year and a half.

Fortunately the M3 can be highly profitable as Munro pointed out AND there is a boatload if demand for them AND Tesla is really pumping them out now. Win, win, win!

Exactly. Well said. Too many people are emotionally attached to this company. They feel if you slam the company you are slamming their car and their dream. Not true. Its a great product. Technology is incredible but the company is in trouble. If they go bankrupt which I think they will by year end, there is some risk to owning a Tesla. Support, parts, service, etc.

The company and product are too valuable to disappear. If the unlikely happened and Tesla did go bankrupt there would be suitors lining up to buy the company with its debt purged.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
As it was said numerous times Tesla had issue of "200k sold autos" in USA. They had to slow down until first of july.
Hence all these auto seen: 11k autos "on their way to the customer". You can pull your "weights" as much as you want, maybe even you will earn a bit from current 2-5% fluctuations, but all this bsiting will go nowhere.
This list is plain wrong btw. Stopping assuming and reinterpreting data would really help.

"Prophesies " feeding themselves is true only for pure financial institutions which do depend on constant cash flow.

After Teeven case in the Netherlands I became very wary of power of mass-media. if the stream of BS is not checked in time really stupid things can and sometimes do happen.
In case of Tesla the most interesting part is the level of "war" against Tesla. It's really international. You have pretty much all UK tabloids, all national level US tabloids. Most amazingly most of the Wall Street. Obviously arabs.
With all money lost during 2017-2018 on shorting Tesla they would build another company of similar size.
Mind boggles.

Exactly. Well said. Too many people are emotionally attached to this company. They feel if you slam the company you are slamming their car and their dream. Not true. Its a great product. Technology is incredible but the company is in trouble. If they go bankrupt which I think they will by year end, there is some risk to owning a Tesla. Support, parts, service, etc.
Learn to read a balance sheet, please. There is zero chance of Tesla going bankrupt "by year end". Literally zero. Everyone who does financial analysis knows this.

This is all you hear from the twitter shorts, over and over and over. They are just positive that Tesla will be bankrupt before the end of this year. There are several serious errors they are making in coming to their conclusions. They have no answer to the possibility of Tesla ramping to 6,000+ with solid model 3 gross margins over the next several months. Actually, they do. Their answer is: we don't worry about that because Tesla won't be able to do it. It's impossible. Well, what if they do? No, no, no, no, they won't. It's impossible for Tesla to do that. What if they do? The TSLAQ shorts don't even consider that possibility. In terms of the debt, it's not the panic situation shorts are convinced that it is. If the stock rises above $360 by November, I think the debt obligation is pretty simple, and I think it results in some dilution. Tesla will need to negotiate it if the stock stays below $360. If Tesla continues executing the ramp through November, hitting 6,000+ sustained, revenue growth will be absolutely massive. That will change the narrative quite a bit actually.
I have only one correction: if the stock drops below $360, Tesla is still likely to just flat out have enough cash to pay off the March convertibles. Not guaranteed to (it depends on how profitable Model 3 is and how much they control capex).... but likely.