Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From y performance to x plaid for less bumpy ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered the x plaid. I have the model y performance now for 4 months and although it’s not a terrible ride, it’s a rigid , bumpy ride that is also not a quiet riding car. The wife hates it. i Also changed out my y wheels and tires for 19” but it’s the same.

so I ordered the x plaid with the 20” wheels hoping they are quieter /smoother then the 22”. Range is not important.

has anyone moved from the yp to the x plaid? should I expect a substantially quieter , smoother , less bumpy riding car ? I know it will be sporty , but I’m hoping it Can also be quiet and smooth with less road and wind noise.

I just ordered the x plaid. I have the model y performance now for 4 months and although it’s not a terrible ride, it’s a rigid , bumpy ride that is also not a quiet riding car. The wife hates it. i Also changed out my y wheels and tires for 19” but it’s the same.

so I ordered the x plaid with the 20” wheels hoping they are quieter /smoother then the 22”. Range is not important.

has anyone moved from the yp to the x plaid? should I expect a substantially quieter , smoother , less bumpy riding car ? I know it will be sporty , but I’m hoping it Can also be quiet and smooth with less road and wind noise.
If it's anything at all like going from a Model 3 to a Model X, you'll be pleased. I had a 2019 M3 then sold it and got a MS Plaid then just recently got a MX LR. The MS is much much quieter and softer than the M3, and the MX is just slightly quieter and smoother than the MS, probably due to its heavier weight since everything else is the same as the S. Acceleration is PDQ but the Plaid will rip your head off.

You should go into hibernation and when you wake up in 10 months you MIGHT get your MX. I had to wait 13 months.

It’s certainly going to be quieter/smoother than the Y but still nowhere near an Audi/BMW if that’s your reference point.

If you previously drove Hondas/Toyotas, you will be pleased.

Reactions: Deutsch100
The main reason other than size I was willing to pony up for the X instead of Y was ride quality. The adaptive dampers are pretty good. It's not a glass smooth ride, but it doesn't feel underdamped like the Y.

IMO - the S is the quietest inside, then Model 3, then Model X, then Model Y. The hatchback arrangement is just noisier thanks to the open space for the rear wheel well noise to resonate/leak into the cabin more.

Everyone experinces NVH and ride quality differently so make sure you drive one if you can.

You will really enjoy the ride of the X. My wife as well hates the MY ride. She rides in it but doesn't like it. We have the 2018 X and it's butter smooth comparatively. I like the size of the Y personally although we travel in the X due to free SC. It really is nice on the highway and the big windshield is one of the best features in my opinion. I really hope they can figure out the half shaft vibration. I'm looking at a new S couple of years from now myself.

The main reason other than size I was willing to pony up for the X instead of Y was ride quality. The adaptive dampers are pretty good. It's not a glass smooth ride, but it doesn't feel underdamped like the Y.

IMO - the S is the quietest inside, then Model 3, then Model X, then Model Y. The hatchback arrangement is just noisier thanks to the open space for the rear wheel well noise to resonate/leak into the cabin more.

Everyone experinces NVH and ride quality differently so make sure you drive one if you can.

I've got crazy wind noise up front. Still trying to solve that.

OMG I've found my group! Got my Model Y LR in January and I really dislike the firm ride; made the mistake of going with 20-inch rims and thinking about selling them to get 19s.
Either way, because of our growing family (16yo son is 6'1) have been talking about the MX for a while and made the plunge last Saturday (incidentally before the big $12,500 price increase!) for a MXP white/white with 20-inch Cyberstream rims.

Useful to see other's experience & reviews especially compared to the firm Model Y. Will likely sell it as we get closer to October (or whatever EDD Tesla gives me for the MXP) - from reading everyone's feedback, Oct can't come soon enough! Thanks really looking forward to hearing more & sharing my own MX experiences!

Going MYP to MX Plaid over here too. My reasoning is in part that I want bigger size, more seats (have 5 seat config now), more performance, but most importantly t he ability to do Section 179/168 deduction. I have not even sat in a refreshed Model X. I never drove a Y before buying it either and am very happy with it. I would not classify it as luxurious and the ride is harsh at times, but it is great.

I still have both the yp and xp and I can now confirm that the x ride is substantially improved over the Y. Everything is smoother including acceleration. The ride is much quieter and you barely feel the bumps in the road compared to the y. I also raced the X against the yp and it was amusing to say the least

Reactions: Jbapckfan
It is going to feel huge going from a MYP. I did the Vegas loop last week and I actually missed the size of the Y from a drivers perspective, the visibility is so nice.

With that said, it made me want to drive it like a sports car and it sits a bit high for that. I didn’t like how in between the Y was. The X is a proper SUV.

I just had an m3 loaner for 5 weeks. It was nearly unbearable without ear plugs on the freeway. My MXP is quiet a bit quieter than my 2015 S P85D and way way quieter than the M3 loaner.