Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From y performance to x plaid for less bumpy ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will really enjoy the ride of the X. My wife as well hates the MY ride. She rides in it but doesn't like it. We have the 2018 X and it's butter smooth comparatively. I like the size of the Y personally although we travel in the X due to free SC. It really is nice on the highway and the big windshield is one of the best features in my opinion. I really hope they can figure out the half shaft vibration. I'm looking at a new S couple of years from now myself.
Your having the acceleration shudder issue that the S has????

Hi. I loved my Y performance.....everything about it except the ride. Then I went to work: I put on Unplugged suspension which had its own problems but improved the ride some, then the Mountain Sport suspension which was better but still a hard ride in my opinion, then changed the wheels to 20 forged with Michelin all season......it helped but not that much, then lowered the pressure on the tires.....which helped but not that much, and then I received delivery on the X Plaid. It was like taking thorns our of my feet. Much smoother and softer. But still not quite there on the Seattle horrible broken pavement streets. Drove an Audi Etron the other day just to compare and that ride was butter.......but very unexciting. So thinking of putting some taller tires on the X. Has anyone done that Yet?

I just ordered the x plaid. I have the model y performance now for 4 months and although it’s not a terrible ride, it’s a rigid , bumpy ride that is also not a quiet riding car. The wife hates it. i Also changed out my y wheels and tires for 19” but it’s the same.

so I ordered the x plaid with the 20” wheels hoping they are quieter /smoother then the 22”. Range is not important.

has anyone moved from the yp to the x plaid? should I expect a substantially quieter , smoother , less bumpy riding car ? I know it will be sporty , but I’m hoping it Can also be quiet and smooth with less road and wind noise.
I hated my 2022 model y performance ride too at first. Around 4,500 miles I noticed it started handling bumps a bit better and road noise decreased. Certain situations are still a bit loud like areas in road where tar /asphalt was poured to fill in cracks between slabs of concrete or other fast road fixes. A lot of noise is due to low profile sports tires with little sidewall on 21” wheel.
Also, 18” wheels and tires with even more sidewall are now available for all model y builds.
That being said Model x is in a class totally different than model y so I would fully expect it to be a more quiet ride & the adjustable suspension offers more options. I think it has active noise cancelling in cabin too.

Hey Electric Ant, Yeah I moved from the performance Y with MPP suspension and forged wheels to the Plaid X. I could write a lot in terms of comparing the two but here are just a couple. I loved my Y......the size, the utility, the simplicity but the ride was still bad on Seattle roads. My wife also grunted and hated it. The X is a more luxurious car in every way and its easy to get used to the auto doors and all of the bells and whistles (even though some of it is a little quirky). Its rides bigger and is much smoother. No one is asking to change the suspension of the X, while many are on the Y. You can't throw the car around the same way on curves but that is not important to me. So nice to have a more quiet and smooth ride. Oh.....and the power is sick!

We just got our XPlaid about a week ago. We switched configurations from our original and Tesla had a new one built earlier this year available. The wife loves it. Check the website and see if they have one available in your configuration. The only thing ours doesn't have is the tilting screen but no big deal. We traded my M3P, which I had just long enough to pay the taxes and get the tags on and now I drive our MYP. The ride between the two is WAY different. I will say the wife hates comfort mode because it seems to soft and floatly (if that's a word). She mostly drives in advanced and changes the settings. She has driven it in sport mode but wasn't a huge fan for where and how she drives. My bother-in-law drives an X5 and sister-in law a GLE AMG. If you put those in sport mode it is like driving a wagon, but the handling is excellent.