TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front Active Louvre Mesh Grille

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Jason, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Member

Just thought I'd toss this out. We live in the country and bugs (grasshoppers) go right in when louvres open and end up on the condenser. Used some hex aluminum mesh grille material (Ebay, and many other places to get it) and bordered it with smallest wiper fluid hose to cover the sharp edges (there are better ways to cover edge). I did it to keep out bugs, but now I have grown to like the look. It tones down the chrome in the vents.

grille-mesh.jpg
    almost forgot to mention how I attached it (also many better ways to do it), I used 2 wire ties, top left and bottom right to go around the chrome strip.

2. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

How good is it keeping out the grasshoppers?

3. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Looks really good, almost OEM!

Might be hard to keep clean tho?

4. Jason

Jason Member

Excellent - our are big (it's Texas, remember :)
    Most bounce off with some residue left, some hit with enough for to impale a little into the mesh, but carwash sprayer get them off easy.

It is better than the OEM middle grille, opening is too large and many get in there, very hard to get them out. Have to use sprayer to blow them back out (well the pieces).
    Thinking of putting the mesh on there also.

The ones that hit bumper cover/nosecone are another matter, lots of elbow grease...

5. Zextraterrestrial

but easier to clean than the inner exchanger 'grill'

it does look pretty good

6. Jason

Jason Member

No comparison to having to jack up car, remove tires, remove wheel well covers, remove ducting and then carefully scrape them off the condenser coil, and reassemble :)