Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front and Rear Dashcam Set Up for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing my Model S dashcam setup with the community. I have two Viofo A119V3 2K cams (one front and one back) both hard wired to the car meaning always powered. I set both to record on motion meaning the cams are always on and any motion (even just shadow moving) recording will start capturing in full resolution and high bit rate. The camera have buffered recording so it will capture 15s before the motion as well. I didn't go with any of the parking mode setting as ehe cams seem to have a hard time going into and come out of parking mode. So the always-on setting works for me, like a full-time dashcam/sentry mode. I am not concerned about the battery drain as I read somewhere the 12V is constantly being top off as long as there is some minimal level of charge in the main battery. And I have 64GB Samsung Pro Endurance cards rated for at least 4000 write cycles, they will last for years (SD card filled up every 2 days or less). So far I am happy with the 2k image quality and knowing the car is always recording driving or parked.
How many others on the forum have dashcams, if so what's your set up.

My S is AP1 no built in side cams. No even sure if I can use AP1 front and back cameras for dash cam recording or security. And I don’t think the build in camera in the new S X or 3 are as high res as 2k. I still see a lot of 3’s adding dash cams even though they have ones built in. It’s about have good enough image quality and high enough resolution to read license plates when something happens.

Hi there @5Wheeler , I'm setting up my AP1 model S with dashcams (would like to get at least front and back for now) and I'm very curious what the wiring situation is for your A119V3 cameras that you're using. I'm hoping to get a IRO dashcam in the front (for that OEM-look) and I think having one of these in the back will be good, the price is not bad. I'm curious in particular for the one in the back how you got it wired up to power.

Only way to view video is onboard or by removing its SD card, yes?

For the front, there is a constant on power inside the ceiling speaker cover. You can find the instruction online. The rear one I tap into the power line for the liftgate. Make sure you got the right one. So basically I have two independent cameras front and back. For the A119V3 there is no good way to view the footage except to get the SD card out and view on a laptop with a card reader. At the time last year the A119A3 was the best value for the 2K resolution and image quality. My wife's 4Runner had the Blackvue DR900S 2 channel professionally installed but it was the pricy for the dashcam and the install. The A119A3 is around $100 each and I install it myself. Works fine so far. Although I am itching to replace the A119A3 with two 4K units, maybe the 70mai a800. I guess when I have some time during summer when kids are out of school.

built in with side camera
For the front, there is a constant on power inside the ceiling speaker cover. You can find the instruction online. The rear one I tap into the power line for the liftgate. Make sure you got the right one. So basically I have two independent cameras front and back. For the A119V3 there is no good way to view the footage except to get the SD card out and view on a laptop with a card reader. At the time last year the A119A3 was the best value for the 2K resolution and image quality. My wife's 4Runner had the Blackvue DR900S 2 channel professionally installed but it was the pricy for the dashcam and the install. The A119A3 is around $100 each and I install it myself. Works fine so far. Although I am itching to replace the A119A3 with two 4K units, maybe the 70mai a800. I guess when I have some time during summer when kids are out of school.
I have a 15MS85D. NO side cameras, but if I was to purchase side repeater cameras, could they all be tied together and work?

I have a 15MS85D. NO side cameras, but if I was to purchase side repeater cameras, could they all be tied together and work?
I know what you mean. I have 2014 P85D, gen1 hardware so not able to use any of the camera for dashcam or sentry, no side cameras either. I thought about adding side cameras as well for dashcam purposes. My plan was to get two 2 channel systems and use the main camera for from and back coverage and the rear camera use to cover the sides. Perhaps mount the camera at the back seat corner triangular windows. One of these days I will get around to do that if life doesn't get in the way.