Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front and Rear lighted T installation demo by artisci on my Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome job with the rear lighted T artisci!
2014-09-06 18.34.01[1].png

ok so I may have wired it wrong , not sure. So this is what is happening.

1) lights on and lighted T comes on - Check
2) brake applied and lighted T gets brighter - Check
3) Lights off and brake applied is good - Check
4) Lights off and right turn signal on and the lighted T flashes - Hmmm
5) Lights off and the Left turn signal on and the lighted T does not Flash - Hmmm

crazy?

ok so I may have wired it wrong , not sure. So this is what is happening.

1) lights on and lighted T comes on - Check
2) brake applied and lighted T gets brighter - Check
3) Lights off and brake applied is good - Check
4) Lights off and right turn signal on and the lighted T flashes - Hmmm
5) Lights off and the Left turn signal on and the lighted T does not Flash - Hmmm

crazy?

I just tested my installation, and got the same result. I watched it using my iPhone propped up on a Gorillapod and iPad in the car doing FaceTime :) It seems to be a side effect of the way Tesla designed the function of the rear lights:

When lights are off (or just DRLs on) the rear running lights in the lift gate are off, but flash together with the same side turn signal. When the headlights lights are on, the rear running lights are on, and don't flash with the turn signal.

I have to say, I find it a little disappointing that the T now flashes with the right turn signal when headlights are off. This may even be an issue with motor vehicle code - anyone know?

It's cool that it flashes, maybe I'll hook up to the other side so it flashes with both turn signals.

For those that have the flashing problem, I tried the other connections today as I had some time and still the same result . I ended up tapping into the right side license plate light and all is good now. I can only think that some cars have a different harness back there. Hope this helps others.