TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Front and rear steering - when will we see it on a Tesla??

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Peter Egan, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Peter Egan

Peter Egan Member

Front and rear steering is great for a tight turning circle and for vehicle parking. Lucid Air and some Ford trucks have it, or will have it. It is great for putting an autonomous vehicle into a tight space - great for many European cities. When will we see it on a Tesla???

2. Haxster

Haxster Member

My "guess" is in two or three years...when the (1N0Q) motor-per-wheel versions become available for the MS and MX.

Tesla will have their hands full with the M3 and its derivatives for some time. And they're still trying to get HW2 up to parity with HW1.

3. kzod

kzod Member

That is world altering tech right there. Companies have been desperate to get their hands on the tech ever after seeing it in the '88 Prelude. It didn't even take 30 years to start spreading.... yawn.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  4. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

I would love this. It's been two months since I swapped my BMW 5351 with four wheel steering for an S. One of the few things I miss is the much tighter turning circle of the BMW. I understand the S needs room for the battery pack between the axle and that the extra wheelbase improves highway stability, but four wheel steering could improve handling dramatically for minimal cost.

5. Brando

Brando Member

minimal cost? I guess that is relative.
    Seems overly complex to me just for a tighter turning circle.

6. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

If memory serves, it was only $2 or 3K.

Tighter turning circle is only the spec that's measured. Four wheel steering, at least from BMW, makes the whole car more nimble and light feeling around every corner, and during emergency maneuvers, it's shockingly quick. It's a dramatic improvement in handling for the price of a radio upgrade.

Nice SAAB, BTW, I had a 93 or 94 900 Turbo Convertible (same as yours?).

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Hopefully we would never see it.

It would raise the cost of the car up too much for what it's value would bring.

8. Brando

Brando Member

PeterHG - OK, I took a picture of my actual 900 SPG turbo.

• Like x 1