Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front axles keep breaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe it’s already fixed? I don’t see too many newish cars with this problem being reported.

hard to believe it would go on this long without being addressed. According to YouTube videos, it has been a MS problem too.

I don’t tend to drive like a ‘maniac’ so not sure it would affect me anyway.
I've had three half-shafts replaces and I'm under 8500 miles. Two LH and 1 RH. Model S LR

I have a Model X long range that is a little over 1 year old with about 12,000 miles on the odometer. It developed the "dreaded" suspension shudder under acceleration. Tesla replaced both front axles and this seemed to help, however after about 600 miles of driving following the replacement I was just driving around town at low speed one evening and as I slowed down for a stop light there was a loud "thump" on the front right side followed by a very loud screeching/grinding noise. I pulled to the side of the road and the car shut down. I contacted Roadside Assistance. They had me reset the car and try to move it; however, it would barely budge and there was a loud grinding noise coming from the front when I stepped on the accelerator. Tesla sent a tow truck and towed the car to the Marietta, GA Service Center (about 120 miles from where I live). They serviced the car the next day and told me that one of the newly installed front axles had broken. Also, after they replaced that axle they took the car out for a test drive and the other newly installed front axle broke. So, they replaced that one too. When I picked-up the car the next day, I was told that when the axles were originally replaced they hadn't been seated properly and that now the problem should be solved. So, I returned home and the car seemed to be running fine with no vibration (shudder) when accelerating. Today I took the car out for a short drive and as I accelerated away from a stoplight, I heard the same loud "thump" on the front right side followed by the same grinding noise. So I assume an axle has broken again. This time the car continued to be drivable and I was able to make it home. I've set-up another service appointment; however, since this problem has happened twice now in close succession I'm starting to wonder if there is some basic flaw in the drive train. Even if they repair it again, I won't feel I can trust the car for trips (i.e., I worry I'll get stranded somewhere far from home and possibly far from Tesla Service). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they know what it took to fix it.
this video explains the root cause and installation of parts needed to correct the dreaded shudder issue.

Got my new X in December. No shudder. Apparently new axles according to parts number in customer services manual seems to have fixed issue. Have 3500 miles and no shudder on any height of suspension.
I also picked up my new X in December 2020 and we started experiencing the shudder during acceleration around 8500 miles, we're at ~9000 miles now and the problem's becoming more pronounced

this video explains the root cause and installation of parts needed to correct the dreaded shudder issue.
OK, I don't know much about cars, but this video tols me that dynamic suspension systems (height-adjusting) seem to be a bit too finicky. Maybe just like the FWDs :)

Why does Tesla make it so hard to choose between models… Price aside, I'd love a MY with dual screens and larger battery pack, but I'm not sure I'd want the suspension issues of MX.

I have a Model X LR (Aug 2020) currently @ 9K miles.
Shudder is starting on acceleration from low speeds, even with suspension in "Low" (I drive with default low).
Sounds like it's worth talking to Tesla SC about replacement / fix with the 2021 revision?

I have a Model X long range that is a little over 1 year old with about 12,000 miles on the odometer. It developed the "dreaded" suspension shudder under acceleration. Tesla replaced both front axles and this seemed to help, however after about 600 miles of driving following the replacement I was just driving around town at low speed one evening and as I slowed down for a stop light there was a loud "thump" on the front right side followed by a very loud screeching/grinding noise. I pulled to the side of the road and the car shut down. I contacted Roadside Assistance. They had me reset the car and try to move it; however, it would barely budge and there was a loud grinding noise coming from the front when I stepped on the accelerator. Tesla sent a tow truck and towed the car to the Marietta, GA Service Center (about 120 miles from where I live). They serviced the car the next day and told me that one of the newly installed front axles had broken. Also, after they replaced that axle they took the car out for a test drive and the other newly installed front axle broke. So, they replaced that one too. When I picked-up the car the next day, I was told that when the axles were originally replaced they hadn't been seated properly and that now the problem should be solved. So, I returned home and the car seemed to be running fine with no vibration (shudder) when accelerating. Today I took the car out for a short drive and as I accelerated away from a stoplight, I heard the same loud "thump" on the front right side followed by the same grinding noise. So I assume an axle has broken again. This time the car continued to be drivable and I was able to make it home. I've set-up another service appointment; however, since this problem has happened twice now in close succession I'm starting to wonder if there is some basic flaw in the drive train. Even if they repair it again, I won't feel I can trust the car for trips (i.e., I worry I'll get stranded somewhere far from home and possibly far from Tesla Service). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they know what it took to fix it.
Wow! I just had the exact same experience with my 8 month old Model Y with 10000. miles. Did a u-turn , heard and felt a thump on front right side and now car is being serviced for a broken axle.

Reactions: 240vPlug
UPDATE - Relative to the broken axle half shaft problem. I picked-up my MX from the Marietta, GA service center. They replaced the front drive unit and both axles. Since then I've driven about 600 miles. So far everything is holding together. According to the service center something was damaged in the original drive unit when the axle half shafts were replaced the first time and this somehow caused the repeated axle breakage. It's really hard to envision how damage to the drive unit could cause axle half shaft breakage, but I guess if the repair holds I'll have to accept that was somehow what caused the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed;).
Update - It's been about 7 months. No further problems with the axles, so I guess replacing the front drive unit took care of the problem. I'd still like to know how the "damaged" front drive unit caused the axle breakage, but I guess I should just be happy it hasn't happened again.

maybe it’s already fixed? I don’t see too many newish cars with this problem being reported.

hard to believe it would go on this long without being addressed. According to YouTube videos, it has been a MS problem too.

I have a 2020 Model S Performance delivered January 2021. After 5,000 miles I have started to feel the shudder. After a few visits to the Tesla service center, I am getting some front end hardware changes.

Is there no permanent fix to his?

I feel for you! Hire an attorney to arbitrate with Tesla, the shudder problem always comes back eventually, they consider them a wearing part from what I am reading. Something worse is wrong with your X. Get them to replace it at the very minimum.

Most people don’t want to admit they spent 100+k on something that they wish they hadn’t. The cars quickness is touted, only to learn it trashes it drivetrain is a huge letdown.

Most people don’t want to admit they spent 100+k on something that they wish they hadn’t. The cars quickness is touted, only to learn it trashes it drivetrain is a huge letdown.
Mine was fixed twice. The second time, it took them nearly a week in the shop to get it right, including mounting a GoPro under the car with multiple test runs, communicating back and forth with engineering. That was a year and a half ago. Still solid, no shudder.

Reactions: Dcam
Mine was fixed twice. The second time, it took them nearly a week in the shop to get it right, including mounting a GoPro under the car with multiple test runs, communicating back and forth with engineering. That was a year and a half ago. Still solid, no shudder.
Was this the Indianapolis service center? They insist my fix was goodwill and not warranty and won't fix it again even though a newer TSB has been released.