Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front bumper scratch from parking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the bottom of my Model S got scraped when I parked in front of Starbucks one day. Fortunately, it has to be under the front bumper, so exterior is still flawless.

But sometimes, the parking sensor is not 100% reliable I noticed. Has anyone happen to hit the curb that happened to be 5''+ and damaged the front?

I feel like damaging the front bumper is kinda inevitable unless I come out of the car to check my front everytime I park. Feels like my days are numbered for that.

If you guys got the scratch that was somewhat visible from outside, do you just drive it or did you get it fixed? I feel the most opt for the former for repair is expensive!

They are parking sensors not curb sensors.. And unfortunately they don't pick up concrete curbs all the time. I have noticed when in Low (and my S is lowered with aftermarket adjustable links) I pick up most curbs.. But again they aren't designed for curbs so i always take care parking.

I think many of us have scrapes on the bottom from one thing or another, and I don't personally see the need to get those scrapes repaired if I can't see them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Obsoletion
You'll see the front sensor "count down" and the suddenly drop off well before it hits zero. That's the point where the barrier is below the sensor and out of range. You're close enough at that point. If you want to get closer, get out and use the key fob to summon forward. Press the fob a second or two early, since there is a lag.

This is a known issue, unfortunately. Yes, there have been reports of the front bumper being torn off after backing out from a spot that had been wedged into the curb. Park rear end in or be extra mindful of the gap going front end in. Someone here on TMC had also rigged a front license plate camera for this IIRC.

This is a known issue, unfortunately. Yes, there have been reports of the front bumper being torn off after backing out from a spot that had been wedged into the curb. Park rear end in or be extra mindful of the gap going front end in. Someone here on TMC had also rigged a front license plate camera for this IIRC.

That's why I check a lot whenever I park. You don't know how many times that the front was like 1 inch away from higher curb or parking(wheel) block. I felt that consistent damage could in the end could weaken the bumper and its alignment.

It seems like TMC people are either awesome at parking or don't mind scraping the bottom portion of the six figure car ;)