TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front Bumper Sensor Damage by a Rock Chip Park Assist Unavailable/Disabled

Discussion in 'Model S' started by UkrHog, Apr 19, 2018.

1. UkrHog

UkrHog Member

This morning I noticed the following message in my 2017 Model S. “Park Assist Disabled” and then sometimes changes to “Park Assist Unavailable”. I called the SC, they said they would look into it and get back to me. After a few hours I didn’t hear back from them, so I looked over all my front sensors closely and noticed a small dent on one of them (photos attached). I emailed the service center the photos and they responded promptly telling me to schedule an appointment with a Tesla certified body shop to have the sensor replaced and that should solve the issue. The work will not be under warranty as it was external damage, I was told. I was curious if any one else has experienced this, what I should expect the cost to be around and whether a car insurance claim can be made, similar for windshield damage as this is a safety mechanism now not working. I am no longer able to summon the car, I do not get the distances in inches shown on my screen when getting close to other objects and there are no more chime warnings.
    Thank you all!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

I have the same issue. Front sensor broke after driving on the German Autobahn.

Seems the sensor needs replacement.

7A1091B0-8880-4BF4-A9B5-8E1E4939B4BD.jpeg

3. trm2

trm2 Member

Can you make an insurance claim? Sure. What is your deductible vs what does it cost to replace?

4. S142jzkillaV10

You can find them on eBay since I'm almost certain your deductible isn't going to cover $200 or less for a sensor.

5. widodh

widodh Model S 85 and 100D

That sounds interesting! What kind of sensor is it?

For €200/$200 I won’t claim my insurance.

6. S142jzkillaV10

The sensor, labor and paint. Is less than $200. It's just a rough estimate. But it's pointless going threw the insurance co.

7. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

That was a $300 bill on my previous Infiniti QX50. The model S has Xpel wrap on the sensors now, so they should survive the same rock hit I hope.

8. UkrHog

UkrHog Member

Yeah, that stinks. Took a while for mine to get replaced. Wrong sensor kept being ordered by the body shop. Finally when replaced, it was complimentary as they miss managed the process so many times.