Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Camera for Parking Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While shopping at the local Costco today, I serendipitously ran across these frames. No excuse to not try it now! :)

IMG_6217.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: jiehan
The car's sensors work fine when there is a wall in front.
But not so well when there is a 4" to 6" tall parking lot bumper or curb.
The model 3 is very, especially the performance one. so you might not need a camera in your garage,
but when you park in a public parking with wheel stoppers that might damage the bottom of the car.

Note: I would recommend to have the front license plugged instead of using the small solar panel,
which don't seems to keep the battery charged enough, so most of the time you will not get any image.
But this make the installation more complicated because you need to get some wires coning from the trunk

Heavy-Duty-Rubber-Parking-Curb-Guide-Car-Garage-Wheel-Stop-Stoppers_4_600x600_96aadbc7-8c70-4a7b-973c-4f9f33a1ce65_1024x1024.jpg

Purchased one while they were on sale. Installation beyond easy. Removed 4 screws holding license plate on, put license plate behind camera bracket, put 2 screws back on (bottom ones won't fit anymore). Since I hate having my phone located in the little area in the center console, I ran the USB power source the same way you would a phone and dropped the screen on there. I had installed a USB multiplier already, so I just plugged it into that and it powered up. Pressed what looked like a menu button and after 3 tries found the right combination to flip the camera view. I did look at the manual when I was done, to see how to turn it off. Not really needed because the USB goes off with the car. So when I open the door the screen comes on, and when I leave the car the screen powers off after about 30 seconds or so. Not a great picture of it here but you get the idea. I bought one of those weathertech cup holder knock offs for my phone/ipod. Far more convenient than buried down in that console.
Just wave your hand in front of the thing and it turns the camera on. If you shut the console lid you won't be turning the camera on so the battery being charged by the tiny solar panel should last longer. I haven't had it in long, but I would think the solar charge will be enough unless you are using the camera all the time while driving. I only want it for parking.

Now if Elon would just give us Apple Play and the ability to have more than one bluetooth device attached like most normal cars. My wifes Mazda supports that for gods sake.

Attachments

• camera in console.jpg
    camera in console.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 113
0 since, as mentioned repeatedly, that's physically impossible with the type and location of the cameras.

I disagree that it is impossible.
I have worked on 360 degree VR stitching software. VR video is shot "inside out" (cameras at one central position pointing outwards). All it invovles is to remap (warp) all the camera pixels to the ground plane and show this view. There could be some holes (missing spots) but that doesn't make it not useful. I had a Leaf and the side view mirrors had down pointing cameras which does make it easier.

I would recommend this 1080P HD Camera with 7 inch Monitor

- The 1280 x 480 quality of the image is similar to what you get with a front smartphone camera.

- I installed previously the wireless camera with solar panel from Costco recommended earlier but it disconnected constantly.

- If you have a front license plate, you can install this camera below the license plate, so it is not noticeable.

- If you don't have a front license plate, you can install this camera inside the front grill, so it is not noticeable.

- I have this camera for more than six months without any problem.

- The image is very sharp compared to typical backup cameras.
7129rHolE1L._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree that it is impossible.
I have worked on 360 degree VR stitching software. VR video is shot "inside out" (cameras at one central position pointing outwards). All it invovles is to remap (warp) all the camera pixels to the ground plane and show this view.

Presumably it also involves the cameras actually being able to see everything you want to show in the stitched visualization[/B] though right?

Because the car lacks the cameras to do that.

it could certainly show some info from the views it DOES have- Indeed they recently added the side rear-facing views to the reverse cam screen and that's useful.

But it is, as said impossible to show an overhead 360 birds eye view as other cars do, because there's no cameras showing you anything low or close to the front or forward-sides of the vehicle.

You can stitch together data that you don't have.