Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Camera for Parking Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many other owners of Teslas it can be a pain when parking and trying to avoid scraping the front lower lip on a curb or parking stop that is higher than the clearance of the lip. The location of the parking sensors is high enough on the front bumpers such that its angle of view downward is insufficient to give you distance to the curb or stop so you are driving blind and hoping not to hear that big scrape sound that says you will need to pay someone to fix it.

I was in Costco the day before yesterday and saw this license plate backup camera that is wireless and recharges from solar. It is 720P resolution which is as good as the actual model 3 backup camera. It was $125 so given Costco's liberal return policy I decided to give it a try. I charged it overnight as directed and put it on my front license plate. It activates quickly and easily from a button on the monitor or by waiving your hand in front of it. A nice feature is that it allows you to reverse the view so objects on the right facing forward are displayed on the right instead of inverse (default setting as would be appropriate for looking behind). You can also display range marks and optionally motion detection. It appears to work very well in my testing with the biggest challenge being where to mount the monitor. Too bad there is no way to display it on screen or on your cell phone (maybe they will add a cellphone app in the future or a web app so I could bring it up on the browser once it works more reliably).

I mounted it as shown in the attached pictures and now need to hide the power cord on the right side of the console by unsnapping it and hiding the thin wire in the track. It sees objects 2.5" high about a foot from the front bumper.

IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0274.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 762
Yes, the front plate brakes is the one that comes with the Model 3. It is held on with adhesive tape. I placed a 3M rectangle from RPM behind it prior to glueing on the plate so I can safely remove it should I desire in the future.

I have now installed it so my wiring is run in the dash and down along the console inside the inner track into the location for the 12V plug. This link from RPM Tesla shows how to run the wire along the center console. Ti run the wire in the dash you just need to pry up with a plastic spudge enough to push the wire in and keep working it until behind the console. I have included some pictures of my installation and one picture showing it in use in a real parking situation.

IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0288.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
If you look at the first picture in a real parking situation you will see the problem the ultrasonic sensors cause. Initially as you approach the barrier it sees the barrier then it looses the barrier and sees the curb post and trash can and gives those distances because it can't see the real obstacle and danger to the vehicle. A human can differentiate and stop before striking the dangerous parking stop.

Unfortunately it (the model 3) doesn't have an OBD II port. I'm not sure what the OBD II port is used for but if it is required to make it work then it is useless for the 3. It is also more than 2 times the price at $299 versus $125. It has a few nice features and I would love to be able to use my phone as the monitor.

Some states require them and CA is one of those so unless one wants to break the law and risk a ticket you might as well get some other benefit.

I want to let you all know that it needs the firmware update on the web site; however, it can only be done from Windows as they have no update capability from OSX. What the update fixes is an intermittent pairing issue. I spoke with their technical support and they are sending me a replacement unit because I only have Macs.

I've lived in New York, Maryland, and New Jersey and never had a front plate even thought they require them. Over that time, about 40 years, I've received only one warning and no tickets. The police have better things to do with their time than enforce this kinds of foolish laws.

As @gilscales noted, some laws are meant to be broken:)

Last edited: