Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Front camera obstructed" message on the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lzolman

Never thought I'd be driving the world's best car!
Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2019
Boston North Shore
At the beginning of a drive last night, a message briefly flashed on my forward screen (refresh MS LR) to the tune of "lower forward camera obstructed" or something like that. It disappeared after a few seconds, not to be seen again since.

I didn't know there WAS a "lower" forward camera, I thought it was just the ones in the cluster near the rear-view mirror.

Does this make sense to anyone?? There was no dirt, rain, or anything ever actually obstructing anything at the front of the car.

At the beginning of a drive last night, a message briefly flashed on my forward screen (refresh MS LR) to the tune of "lower forward camera obstructed" or something like that. It disappeared after a few seconds, not to be seen again since.

I didn't know there WAS a "lower" forward camera, I thought it was just the ones in the cluster near the rear-view mirror.

Does this make sense to anyone?? There was no dirt, rain, or anything ever actually obstructing anything at the front of the car.
See you are in Boston - could have been fogged up? Similar to the B pillar cameras when they go from a cool environment (garage) and then get hit with the sun and fog up. My assumption is one of the cameras in the camera assembly was blocked.

Reactions: lzolman
They may have added a lower camera. The Cybertruck has an added camera below the front bumper. Should enable more features, like 360 degree bird's eye view, better parking, increased detection of small objects like children and dogs that may be sleeping in front of the car, etc. Look under the front bumper in the center for a small black bump.

They may have added a lower camera. The Cybertruck has an added camera below the front bumper. Should enable more features, like 360 degree bird's eye view, better parking, increased detection of small objects like children and dogs that may be sleeping in front of the car, etc. Look under the front bumper in the center for a small black bump.
You would imagine if they added a camera, the manual (page 85) would be updated and make reference to it.

Yes, I don't have the updated manual. You'd think the error, "lower forward camera obstructed," would be odd if there is no lower forward camera.
Unfortunately, I only had about 3 seconds to read the message before it disappeared, so it's totally possible I saw some other word and not "lower", but at the time I recall thinking, "There's a LOWER front left camera?". Trouble is, I remember thinking that more clearly than I remember actually seeing it LOL.

Unfortunately, I only had about 3 seconds to read the message before it disappeared

Maybe you can still find it in the car's message history, as the firmware saves the last alerts a few days (well, user-facing at least. The Service Center always has access to the last 100 alerts).

Go to: Controls → Service → Notifications

Last edited:
Maybe you can still find it in the car's message history, as the firmware saves the last alerts a few days (well, user-facing at least. The Service Center always has access to the last 100 alerts).

Go to: Controls → Service → Notifications
Thanks! Just saw this now, though, so that message seems to be long gone (I did see one telling me the USB stick isn't properly inserted in the glovebox, which I didn't realize, so double thanks.)

Reactions: cwanja