TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Front camera obstruction?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Ctein, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ctein

Ctein Member

Dear Folks,

I just took delivery on a 2020 Model X (Happy Xmas to me!). The software irregularly but repeatedly throws up "front camera obscured" faults. I've got an appointment in two weeks to take it in to the dealership.

Meanwhile, I decided to review some of the TeslaCam footage (to make sure the thumb drive was working properly) and I saw a fuzzy, black, curved line across the front camera view. Like what you'd expect if there were a hair or something close to the sensor.

Am I right in thinking that is not normal? If so, I think I've diagnosed the problem.

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

It's evidently something in the latest software that's causing it on a lot of cars. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Definitely not right.

4. Ctein

Ctein Member

Hmmm, contradictory answers.

J? E? You wanna hash this out between you two? No fisticuffs.

Regardless, Tesla Service looked at the logs and scheduled me to bring it in, so they think the camera's throwing way too many faults.

pax / Ctein

5. mxnym

mxnym Member

If I were you, I would take that dashcam footage with me when I brought it in. I'd want them to see that, as it could be enough evidence for them to remove the camera and housing, clean it out, and reinstall it even if they are unable to reproduce.

6. Ctein

Ctein Member

Dear M,

Oh, for sure! In fact, I already messaged them a screenshot from the front camera footage showing the dark band nice and clear (or, more to the point, not clear), which they were happy to get.

pax / Ctein