Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front collision warning fluke/ghost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does your brain do with things that happen all the time but don't mean anything? It ignores them.
Right. I work with navigation and control systems where human-factors issues related to alarms are a critical concern. "Alarmageddon" is the term we use to describe over-alarming of the end user. The problem with over alarming is that it trains the operator to ignore the alarm. So, no, false alarms are in fact a major human factors issue.

Reactions: Naonak
I had this happen a week ago. Was driving on an interstate, in the middle of three lanes at night. No cars around me, probably going around 75 mph. All of a sudden the collision alarm activated and I saw the flickering, red car directly in front of mine on the dash display. Only lasted a second or two and then went back to normal. Braking did not activate. Was a bit apprehensive about it happening again, but I've only seen it that one time so far.

yes, I was only going 25 mph, so it was very slight but noticeable

I suspect AEB did not engage, it is VERY noticeable.
Did you have an error message indicating AEB is temporarily disabled afterwards? If AEB engages, that alert will appear until you stop and restart the car.

What more likely happened was (as this happened to me), is you pulled your foot off the accelerator enough for regenerative braking to slightly slow the car.