TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Front Console Showing on Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jkh5130, Mar 20, 2016.

1. jkh5130

jkh5130 Member

Has anyone noticed it looks like they have a front console with you go to order a Model S. I haven't seen this before.

2. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Good eye! Looks like console is now standard? More changes are a coming...

3. tonglaji

tonglaji Member

great, my future model s just became $500 cheaper.

4. mtavel

mtavel Member

Interesting... it shows up in the picture, but not configurable... I like the yacht floor!

5. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Depends on when you order. The overall price is going up soon

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I suspect that one could easily remove the center console from their new S and then sell it to an existing S owner who wants one.

7. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

image.jpeg
    Nice and so far it hasn't affected the overall price.

8. tonglaji

tonglaji Member

I predict there will be significant regrouping of the packages come 3/31. Price might go up, but the battery capacity might increase as well. Maybe we will see 75/100 battery replacing current 70/90. overall, I feel we should get better value.

9. dlv1984

dlv1984 Amp'd

I wonder if the center console applies to cars currently in production (notified on Friday in my case)? Probably not, but I can hope...maybe a call to my DS is in order?

10. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    It's not the same as the current front console. It looks like the one from the X.

11. RMG007

RMG007 Member

Does not appear to have the flip back door with piano back to reveal the charging port

12. tonglaji

tonglaji Member

I'd much prefer if the cup holders are moved forward.

13. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Good eyes I missed that. I wonder if a phone charging station is still included and where it is.

14. jkh5130

jkh5130 Member

My car was shipped on March 5th to Raleigh, NC and it still shows March 30-April 13th for delivery. I missed out on the new wheels and now the center console, and who knows what else even before my car arrives. I have never ordered a car and had things like this changed before I even got my car, I know Tesla is different, but this seems a little crazy. I could understand if they changed things for a different model year, but mid stream seems to me that it would make people wait and wait before they ordered to see what comes next.

• Like x 2
  15. liuping

liuping Active Member

I believe it is like the Model X version, it still flips up, it is just no longer piano black, and is trim neutral black line the front section.

Hopefully, it also has the improves phone holding clips form the Model X console to hold the phone in place when you accurate. That was my main complaint about the original (besides the piano black)

• Like x 1
  16. zambono

zambono Member

This is what I am waiting on

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

There is no such thing as model year. Tesla makes improvements/changes continuously. Everyone could tell a story like this. If I had waited another month to order in 2013 i could have had auto folding mirrors and parking sensors. If you wait for the next improvement you'll never buy the car-- just like PCs years ago.

That said, I don't think making the center console standard is an improvement. I like the open space. It is useful and looks right with the minimalist design of the car. This has been argued in previous threads and people have opinions both ways. It seems to me including center console now is another step towards appealing to mainstream buyers, just as moving the battery meter off to the corner and repacing it with the familiar (but less useful) odometer. It's a shame Tesla thinks it has to do this to move past early adopters/EV enthusiasts.