Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front cooling louvers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that when my car was new, (30 Jan 2020), when I had warm battery and went to charge, the cooling fans came on and the front louvers opened.....lately, when I charge, the cooling fans do not come on and the louvers do not open....I guess that is good in a way, but is it normal....I had made a service call to check that with a couple of other things and got a call this morning from Brad and he told me that unless I get a notice inside the car not to worry and tat the BMS issue doing the check and with no message everything is ok....he slap said that a software change may have changed the software programming and that could be the answer......does that sound possible or correct?

When you first plug into any charger the louvers do a open and close cycle so you can test them that way. check out my thread about replacing my louvers when they weren't working. Spoiler: the 2 side ones are easy and the middle one is a bitch to replace
Although when its not hot outside the fans don't ramp up much and when they do sometimes its only the middle louver that opens and you cant see that one you have to put your hand in front of it to feel if air is being pulled through.

battery cooling question

When you first plug into any charger the louvers do a open and close cycle so you can test them that way. check out my thread about replacing my louvers when they weren't working. Spoiler: the 2 side ones are easy and the middle one is a bitch to replace
Although when its not hot outside the fans don't ramp up much and when they do sometimes its only the middle louver that opens and you cant see that one you have to put your hand in front of it to feel if air is being pulled through.

battery cooling question
Does the car throw an error if these aren’t working?

Are you sure that happens if it's cold?

I have never seen my louvers open, even when supercharging.. But still charge speeds appear normal. Over 100kW with empty battery..

I'll wait until warmer days before panicing. :)

Ok, warmer days arrived, and now my louvers open when I plug in any charger.

I think the limit is something like +10C outside temp (~50F). Or maybe it's related to battery temp. But if it's like +5C or colder, nothing happens at louvers no matter what, they stay shut even at supercharger.

Now it was ~15C for a few days and I immediately noticed new sounds from the front when plugging the car in at home.. I ran to the front and sure enough, they were open. :)

Just a note to other members in cold climate, don't start changing parts because your louvers are "stuck closed". :)

It's the same thing with the "fans run continously if 85kWh battery is charged to above 80%" which is mentioned here often. At +5C, I can charge to 100% if needed, and car doesn't make a sound. But if it's any warmer than that, the fans do start.

I had a similar problem crop up in the last 2 months and been at service center since then off and on. Service center told me they couldn't pull the logs because of bad SD card. Now that it has been changed, they should have all the data they need. I am posting series of pictures that ultimately point to battery temp being high. I am not sure this is related to louvers not opening, may be it is. I let Service center know about this. I didn't get any warnings whatsoever. My AC completely broke twice 2 months ago and was replaced as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210921_231328480.jpg
    PXL_20210921_231328480.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 381
  • PXL_20210921_231903378.jpg
    PXL_20210921_231903378.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 178
  • PXL_20210921_232140336.jpg
    PXL_20210921_232140336.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 171
  • PXL_20210921_233008111.jpg
    PXL_20210921_233008111.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 174
  • PXL_20210921_233141534.jpg
    PXL_20210921_233141534.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 174
  • PXL_20210921_233221704.jpg
    PXL_20210921_233221704.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 173
  • PXL_20210921_233641956.jpg
    PXL_20210921_233641956.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 164
  • PXL_20210921_233949427.jpg
    PXL_20210921_233949427.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 147
  • PXL_20210921_234542012.jpg
    PXL_20210921_234542012.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 219
So I’ve been experiencing slowish supercharging for example at 61% getting 38 kW …. That’s worse than our egolf :/….but it seems like it’s slower than usual in cold whether. Now, I’m wondering if one’s louvers are permanently stuck open, can that prevent the battery from warming up enough when in cold weather? (Currently 37°). Car even says preheating battery when getting close to charger but still getting these crap speeds and although I have to check a few more times to confirm, I believe the louvers might be stuck open.

So I’ve been experiencing slowish supercharging for example at 61% getting 38 kW …. That’s worse than our egolf :/….but it seems like it’s slower than usual in cold whether. Now, I’m wondering if one’s louvers are permanently stuck open, can that prevent the battery from warming up enough when in cold weather? (Currently 37°). Car even says preheating battery when getting close to charger but still getting these crap speeds and although I have to check a few more times to confirm, I believe the louvers might be stuck open.
Get Scan My Tesla App, cable and Bluetooth dongle to get an idea of what is going on.

Dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cable: Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (Sept 2015 and up) – Crimped OBD-II – Maxwell Automotive Technologies
App: scan my tesla

Put the cable in OBD port which is in the tray area (below the center screen). You need to remove the tray by pushing it down firmly. Put the OBD Bluetooth scanner on the other end of the cable. Use my Tesla App during supercharging, before and after to see what is going on paying close attention in BMS tab to temp, battery voltage.

Get Scan My Tesla App, cable and Bluetooth dongle to get an idea of what is going on.

Dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cable: Tesla CAN Diagnostic Cable (Sept 2015 and up) – Crimped OBD-II – Maxwell Automotive Technologies
App: scan my tesla

Put the cable in OBD port which is in the tray area (below the center screen). You need to remove the tray by pushing it down firmly. Put the OBD Bluetooth scanner on the other end of the cable. Use my Tesla App during supercharging, before and after to see what is going on paying close attention in BMS tab to temp, battery voltage.
Thanks, I’ve been meaning to explore that for a while. As an update still haven’t observed the louvres in the closed position. Currently charging in cold weather 52% at 30 kW…..this is ridiculous. Had dropped the vehicle off at a service center for a suspension noise, I know the frunk was out, wondering whether it’s possible the tech forgot to plug them (louvres) back in (although I feel like there would be some sort of software error). Only reason I say that is because they forgot to put something else back but I don’t wanna go there. On second cold weather trip with this issue, and thinking it really is the louvres not closing. All the heat escapes so the battery can never get hot enough to charge at higher speeds which are safe for a given battery temp. It’s 41° ambient temperature here.

Reactions: kpalaniswami
Can you manually move the louvers by your hand? Just insert your fingers in the opening and crimp your first (your palm facing the frunk). If you can manually move them then the closing mechanism of the fins is broken. If you feel resistance during this test then you have the motor failure (try not to force them to close, you will brake the fins mechanism). If both side louvers fails to operate then they are either both broken and service thermal test would have failed also.
You can fix it by changing broken unit or if only the motor have failed, then by changing the motor.

Can you manually move the louvers by your hand? Just insert your fingers in the opening and crimp your first (your palm facing the frunk). If you can manually move them then the closing mechanism of the fins is broken. If you feel resistance during this test then you have the motor failure (try not to force them to close, you will brake the fins mechanism). If both side louvers fails to operate then they are either both broken and service thermal test would have failed also.
You can fix it by changing broken unit or if only the motor have failed, then by changing the motor.
the louvers do not move, making it likely it’s the motors.

So finally took it in for the louvers and a couple other things. First off - what a nightmare trying to get a loaner from modern Tesla service….

anyways they wanted to charge a diagnostic fee first and ultimately 630+ just for these louvers (which as far as I’m concerned should be covered by the power train/battery warranty since this could ultimately hasten the power train/ battery’s demise)

Not sure if this is the cost to replace both louvers and motors. Anyways will provide more info once Ive spoken to someone. Also worth noting they want 400$+ to fix a squeaky door handle.

Attachments

• 08CFED1E-5F1D-4825-AAD3-625A760C7057.jpeg
    08CFED1E-5F1D-4825-AAD3-625A760C7057.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 207
These factory louvers already include the motors so they are one unit and they only change the broke unit, my suggestion was that if you dare to DIY then the only part needed to change would be motors (as you confirmed the fins were intact). Consider this diagnostic fee to cover the removal and replacement of front bumper as this is needed to get to the side louvers.

So I got the car back from service with the replaced louvers. When I touch them now I can feel that they give a little But I’ve only now seen them in the closed position. However, I just now tried supercharging at a V2 station and only got as high as 80 kW at 30% state of charge. At 54% I’m now getting 55 kW (at 63% getting 45 kW and now we’re in e-golf territory which can do that all the way to 76% and here I am at 66% now getting 40 kW (e-golf would be getting 43/44 at this point). I tried to see if the louvres would cycle open and closed when I plug the supercharger cable in, and I even tried this twice, but I have not been able to witness cycling louvres yet (someone mentioned they do this when you plug in).

just to vamp on deteriorating standards - received the car dirtier than I left it (parked under sappy tree???), sub center console diagnostic cable dangling, door where noisy handle was fixed has trim not put back together, chrome trim on said door was out of alignment/feels loose, and the edge of the handle adjacent paint needs some touch up work now. That said they didn’t end up charging for the noisy handle. oh the x p90 d loaner was filthy, and had either terribly Worn suspension or I’m just not used to the low profile wheels.

Is it cold in your location? Contrary to a popular belief, louvers do not cycle at supercharger if it's cold enough. They keep shut.

I don't know if it depends on ambient temperature of battery temperature..

Is it cold in your location? Contrary to a popular belief, louvers do not cycle at supercharger if it's cold enough. They keep shut.

I don't know if it depends on ambient temperature of battery temperature..
Thanks for writing back! I think it was around 52-54° f during the session described above. But regardless of if the louvres are opening or not, this charge curve is suspect. I even drove the car hard for a while before charging To warm up the battery. Oddly I even managed to get higher peak charging in freezing winter temps with the louvres stuck OPEN, so I’m confused as to why in warmer temps, with the flaps closed, it couldn’t hit above 80 kW. for what it’s worth the session referenced did not occur on a road trip, but at a V2 (w/v3 units also) supercharger near home base, and also we have lifetime unlimited supercharging so I wonder if there’s some special logic surrounding that… long story short maybe there’s more going on than just my louvres, time to finally get around to checking out scan my Tesla Or other app.