Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front dash scratches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've only ever used a dry microfiber cloth on the dash, and I wouldn't consider my pressure light either. But never seen any marks as a result of the towel. It almost seems like the OP's dash is coated with something and that coating got disturbed.

I have an early build (VIN 0068xx) and a lot of us had the issue of some sticker imprint left on our dash. alcohol wipes apparently solved that one.

After using the wipes, did you use anything to wipe it down? Like others have mentioned, some of it looks like you left moisture on the dash as it dried under the sun. As far as the scratches, either you have some long nails and applied too much pressure or something must have been on the dash as you were wiping back and forth. To protect the dash I use this

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...ical+guys+vrp&qid=1557168846&s=gateway&sr=8-3

A little goes a long way and it isn't overly greasy/shiny. It gets almost a matte like finish with just a bit of shine.

Yes and no. I brought the car in for a separate issue and asked nicely if they had suggestions to remove the scratches. Then the tech asked me for my VIN and he said that there’s a bulletin for that particular issue for older cars. Mine is in the 2000’s and it’s eligible for a replacement under warranty. They didn’t have the part so I’m now waiting for it to arrive. One cautionary note from the tech was it’s a 3 hour job meaning there’s a lot involved in replacing the dash and hopefully there’ll be no rattles afterwards.

Let us know how it goes with the 303. I have a bottle and haven’t tried using it in my car anywhere (yet) but used it for many years in my BMW 3 Series.

I sourced some of the 303 protectant from Amazon. Applied it first to a micro-fiber cloth, then wiped the dash. Amazing - the scratches are undetectable now and it does not leave much a sheen - a little (very minor), but not like Amorall and I assume it will fade to mate finish in a day or so. Thank you for the recommendation!

Also, my advice - don't spray on the dash as it will go everywhere (which is happened when I first applied it). Bigger clean-up job thereafter vs just applying it to a microfiber cloth and wiping it across the dash.

Litterally just had this happen to me today.

Used a microfiber cloth and use very little pressure. Suuuuper pissssed right now.

I have been researching this all day. Supposedly 303 aerospace protectant does wonders for these scratches.

Im ordering from Amazon this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00KN0UOEE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I use this product as well for the front dash and the plastic pieces around the feet so the scuffs don't notice as much from my shoes. It works very well and you can reapply once a month or so. I believe taptes sells a front dash cover that is a fabric material that looks nice as well.

I can confirm that my July 2019 p3d+ build doesn’t have this dash issue, if it helps anyone. I was extremely nervous about cleaning it, but today I successfully used a few generous sprays of Nextzett Cockpit Premium on a regular microfiber cloth. I was able to use normal pressure and wipe the entire dash without any scratches (even inspected it in direct sunlight to make sure). I also went back later with a dry microfiber cloth and gently wiped the whole dash without issue, but I was definitely ready to have a stroke if needed.

For those interested, I really recommend getting a small Swiffer duster, as it’s really handy if you get some dust up there between scheduled detailing.

Both the dash and glovebox are definitely softer materials, but I wonder if they've since changed the coating or whatever it was that caused the scratches?

Sorry to those who have had it happen :(

I had exactly the same problem after barely wiping the dash with a cloth. The 3 dash (at least mine) scratches really easily. I solved this using a microfiber cloth and detailing spray. I sprayed the detailing spray on the microfiber cloth and very slowly and gently wiped the dash. Not only did this repair the scratches, but the dash now seems to be more scratch resistant. I wipe it down every couple of months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G49DUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Helpful
Reactions: WilliamG
I had exactly the same problem after barely wiping the dash with a cloth. The 3 dash (at least mine) scratches really easily. I solved this using a microfiber cloth and detailing spray. I sprayed the detailing spray on the microfiber cloth and very slowly and gently wiped the dash. Not only did this repair the scratches, but the dash now seems to be more scratch resistant. I wipe it down every couple of months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G49DUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When did you get your 3?