Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front defroster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also there are two settings for defrost. Push it twice for full power. Turns the car into a sauna if you leave it on, though.

Clearly, the defrost settings still need some tweaking. I'm not clear on why Tesla turns the temp up to high. Every other car I've owned will a) turn on the a/c compressor if the temperature is above about 40 degrees F and b) turn the fan speed to high. The temperature is typically not adjusted from wherever the user has it set.

The way it is now, I would have to use the first Defrost setting, then manually turn the fan speed up.

Clearly, the defrost settings still need some tweaking. I'm not clear on why Tesla turns the temp up to high. Every other car I've owned will a) turn on the a/c compressor if the temperature is above about 40 degrees F and b) turn the fan speed to high. The temperature is typically not adjusted from wherever the user has it set.

The way it is now, I would have to use the first Defrost setting, then manually turn the fan speed up.

Tesla's engineers are in California, not Detroit. They've never set the defog controls on a car and so they don't know what works.

Anybody else have an issue with slow defrosting on the front windshield?

If you don't have it, you need the front vent retrofit. I'm not sure if this is shipping with all cars yet. Without it, the left side of the windshield will not defrost for a very long time.

- - - Updated - - -

Have the service center install the winter package.
Not available yet last I asked.

I should clarify a bit: The reason I would do this is because in cold, damp weather when fogging is likely, it is usually my practice to keep the defroster either on fully or combined with vents, and to keep the fan speed high in order to keep air circulating. It's not a case of turning the defrosters on for a minute or two to clear the glass, then back to floor vents. The windows would just start to fog up again. Tesla's "Max" defrost turns the heat up and, as Doug_G says, it would turn the car into a sauna.

I actually notice 4 distinct "foggy" patches on the lower part of the windshield OUTSIDE the car. They clear as I drive, but the defroster does not help this. We are having 90+ degree weather here; it's an odd phenomenon I've had happen 3 times. Anyone else?

I actually notice 4 distinct "foggy" patches on the lower part of the windshield OUTSIDE the car. They clear as I drive, but the defroster does not help this. We are having 90+ degree weather here; it's an odd phenomenon I've had happen 3 times. Anyone else?
Yep, had this happen the other day. A warm and very muggy (85%+ humidity) day. With the AC on, the fog condenses outside on the windshield (probably due to some cold AC air leaking out the defrost vents, cooling the bottom of the windshield).

We do have the "cold weather" vent updates installed.

My car is in for service so I proactively asked for the new vent. I was told that I could only get the new vents if I had a known problem with defrosting. I'm pretty disappointed by the answer I received. Just adding another data point, not everyone will have an easy time getting the retrofit installed. I'm in Chicago, so I will certainly experience fogging problems.

beginrant/
Now I can look forward to seeing if my car can't keep up defrosting, and if so, I can be delighted with another service visit, and another Enterprise rental. I'm on my third service center Enterprise rental and still haven't been offered a Tesla.
/endrant

Very, very common here in muggy Southern Ontario summers (on any car). I've actually had to use my wipers to clear the condensation from the windshield that forms on the glass (just like a cold drink glass will "sweat" in the heat/humidity).

The Vancouver service center just got the vent upgrade kit parts delivered yesterday afternoon. Perhaps other centers will get it soon too. Had mine installed while i was there, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

When I picked up my car in March, the Toronto SC had vent kits stacked up like cordwood. I didn't bother to have mine upgraded that late in the winter season, but must remember to have it done this fall.