Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front door operation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new Model X 75D on December 22nd 2018 (ordered November 22nd), and so far I'm absolutely loving it. There were a few minor issues on delivery, but in hindsight, not so important after all.

My biggest issue after about a month of ownership, is the force needed to close the front doors. Using the key-fob, break and pulling on the inside handle pulls the door shut using the motors, as normal (although fairly forcefully, would not want to have my fingers in there). But when I push it from the outside, the motor doesnt pull the door shut on its own, it only brings it about 2-3inches from closing, and stops, to actually close it by pushing from the outside, you need to apply a lot of force to get it to latch on to the soft close mechanism.

I went to a couple of showrooms and tried pushing their X front doors shut, and just with a light push, the door closes swiftly using the motors. I don't know the exact production date etc on the showroom X's, but does anyone who have about the same prouction date as me, have the same experience with the front doors? Or does your doors pull them self shut with a light push from the outside?

I took delivery on Dec 10 and just started having the same issue with my passenger side front door. Driver side works fine if I close the door manually to the "first latch" point, and the motor will pull it closed the rest of the way. But the passenger side won't anymore and needs to be slammed all the way if closing by hand.

Did yours ever work?

I actually just started researching a bit to see if anyone had a fix before scheduling my first service appointment. Have obviously tried the reboot methods, but no luck.

No mine has never latched without slamming them from the outside, I guess it could be software related, since they work fine by pushing buttons etc. Maybe the motor engage sensitivity has to be reset/adjusted somehow. I've also rebooted the car plenty of times, still no difference. I usually just either pull gently on the inside handle as I exit the car or push top of keyfob/triple click to close all doors, that way they will slam as intended (with motor force), since I'm assuming if they break due to that it has to be a warranty issue.

My service appointment was today and they replaced the cinch motor assembly in about an hour. Door works perfectly now. They also worked on two rattles, one at the sun visor and the other at the adjustable seat belt on driver's side. Its only been a few hours, but so far both seem to be fixed.

This was my first service experience, and everything was smooth. When I pulled in, they immediately got a tech to go for a ride so he could hear the rattles. Granted I'm in Indy, so we don't have the volume some other SC's might. But everyone was super friendly and I was able to get an appointment in 2-days through the mobile app.