Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front door panel straps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removed my door panels to adjust my sunken in door handles and found the door panel strapped with a rivet to the door. Not sure why Tesla did that.
20190513_190117.jpg

20190513_190122.jpg

Reactions: fr100
Removed my door panels to adjust my sunken in door handles and found the door panel strapped with a rivet to the door. Not sure why Tesla did that.

These straps were introduced with the "next generation" (Recaro) seats. They prevent the door trim panel from intruding into the passenger space during a side impact collision and are required with at least the next generation seats.

The door trim panel R&I procedures in the Service Manual have this warning: "Warning: Failure to install a retention strap could result in injury or death in case of air bag deployment."

Long story short, don't mess with it. If at all possible, keep it intact while you do whatever you're doing with the door. If you have to remove the strap, the Service Manual has a warning to install a new one and not to reuse the original one.