Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front doors not flush with back doors (every Y on the lot).

ratsbew

Mar 3, 2012
O'Fallon, IL
I went on the lot to inspect my VIN that's being delivered tomorrow and noticed that neither the driver or passenger doors close flush with the rear doors. I then inspected 5-6 other Ys and they were all exactly the same.

Is this by design so that after use when the seals compress over time they doors will be flush or is it a consistent build flaw?

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Post a pic.

I went on the lot to inspect my VIN that's being delivered tomorrow and noticed that neither the driver or passenger doors close flush with the rear doors. I then inspected 5-6 other Ys and they were all exactly the same.

Is this by design so that after use when the seals compress over time they doors will be flush or is it a consistent build flaw?

vtplm

May 9, 2018
Irvine, CA
I believe it's by design. The alignment shouldn't be too off it supposedly it is more aerodynamic and also happens to decrease leading edge rock chips on the back doors.

RickCRNA

Jan 23, 2021
Vancouver, WA
I believe it's by design. The alignment shouldn't be too off it supposedly it is more aerodynamic and also happens to decrease leading edge rock chips on the back doors.
I had a chap at my local SC tell me something similar earlier today when I asked to have my misaligned front driver and passenger doors repaired. Didn’t make a lot of sense to me but at least it was a different explanation other than “it’s within specs”.

CRL7

Ordered 3/18 LR, 7 seat,Gemini, white ext, blk int
May 25, 2016
Chicago

Which location did you go to?I picked one up in highland park last week, and while I had a few gap issues, my front and back door were flush and so where 5-6 others I checked.

Insyder22

Mar 16, 2021
CO
IMG_7631.JPG
Mine is 173x and had the same issue. you'd think they would have figured it out by now

bryan995

Sep 15, 2018
San Diego
I just noticed this on my SR Y. It is far more noticeable at the bottom of the door. Both sides are the same. The rear door sticks out more than the front.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC