Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front doors not flush with back doors (every Y on the lot).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on the lot to inspect my VIN that's being delivered tomorrow and noticed that neither the driver or passenger doors close flush with the rear doors. I then inspected 5-6 other Ys and they were all exactly the same.

Is this by design so that after use when the seals compress over time they doors will be flush or is it a consistent build flaw?

Post a pic.

I went on the lot to inspect my VIN that's being delivered tomorrow and noticed that neither the driver or passenger doors close flush with the rear doors. I then inspected 5-6 other Ys and they were all exactly the same.

Is this by design so that after use when the seals compress over time they doors will be flush or is it a consistent build flaw?

I believe it's by design. The alignment shouldn't be too off it supposedly it is more aerodynamic and also happens to decrease leading edge rock chips on the back doors.
I had a chap at my local SC tell me something similar earlier today when I asked to have my misaligned front driver and passenger doors repaired. Didn’t make a lot of sense to me but at least it was a different explanation other than “it’s within specs”.

Which location did you go to?I picked one up in highland park last week, and while I had a few gap issues, my front and back door were flush and so where 5-6 others I checked.

IMG_7631.JPG
Mine is 173x and had the same issue. you'd think they would have figured it out by now

On my 2022 Y, My passenger side doors align perfectly. My drivers side doors look like the photo and description in this thread. The driver door sticks out just a tad at top but increasingly begins to loose alignment with passenger door as you follow the gap downwards. The offset seems the most around the door’s inward curvey mid section and down. The bottom of driver side door looses alignment the most.
A few days ago I went to the SC for them to fix this. The fellow processing my car thought it could be fixed. But when I got the car back the notes said front driver side door is in spec but rear of driver side passenger door was not so they adjusted that door. Interestingly, they made no comment on my passenger side doors which align perfectly despite one message in thread stating SA said perfect alignment was not desirable since it increases chances of road rocks hitting pack rear section of car.
I went to a tesla parking lot and looked at a bunch of Y’s. All seemed to have doors which aligned perfectly. That being said it was a dark parking garage environment so today I hopped to go to the outdoor location.

@ratsbew , did you take more actions to see if your doors could be made more flush?
Nah. I forgot about it and haven't thought about it since. These little things never matter in the long run. The best rule is to look for major issues and be happy with tiny little things that don't matter. There's a reason Tesla has such high customer satisfaction....the cars are just so good to own and drive.

I'll look at it tonight when my wife comes home. It's possible that the seals have seated a bit and the alignment fixed itself.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Nah. I forgot about it and haven't thought about it since. These little things never matter in the long run. The best rule is to look for major issues and be happy with tiny little things that don't matter. There's a reason Tesla has such high customer satisfaction....the cars are just so good to own and drive.

I'll look at it tonight when my wife comes home. It's possible that the seals have seated a bit and the alignment fixed itself.
Thanks for update. Here is what my driver side doors are like & I show my passenger side. I flipped passenger side image to make visual comparison easier.
27B90BD8-7DEE-4F89-84A3-7FDFE3ADA3BF.jpeg
F8D3A637-005C-47D3-BD19-E24008EA3EBE.jpeg

Ironically, it'll get taken care of when it gets hit on that side. No body shop manager would accept non-aligned doors like that because they know the insurance company doesn't have to pay for shoddy work.

Tesla's quality control inspectors are not so picky, it seems. 😄

It's a super easy fix if it bothers you... You just need the correct torx bit to loosen the metal door latch ( 2 bolts)... Then use a soft mallet to whack it in toward the car about a millimeter then tighten.
My rear passenger door with the rear quarter panel is like that! Definitely will fix it myself. Very minor issue in the big scheme of things.