Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front drive unit failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my Tesla stopped working three times with a warning that the 12v system was not working and the car may not start and may stop at any time.

I just got this message today which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me:

“The vehicle has been diagnosed and your front drive unit will need to be replaced due to internal failure. Parts are on order, no ETA at this time. We will update you when the parts are received.“

Anyway, I drive a Nissan Sentra from Enterprise courtesy Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Not sure what part didn't make sense? Not long ago, Elon mentioned that the car can self-diagnose, and order parts. It seems that is what happened.

Having said that, as soon as you got the first 12V warning, I would have put in a new battery. In my old car, a Volt, if you had a weak/old/bad 12V battery, you got a whole host of other issues that may or may not have been real. First thing you did was change the 12V battery to rule it out.

Not sure what part didn't make sense? Not long ago, Elon mentioned that the car can self-diagnose, and order parts. It seems that is what happened.

Having said that, as soon as you got the first 12V warning, I would have put in a new battery. In my old car, a Volt, if you had a weak/old/bad 12V battery, you got a whole host of other issues that may or may not have been real. First thing you did was change the 12V battery to rule it out.
Already had a 12v battery replaced right before delivery. Also mobile service said it was caused by the HV regulator.

I don’t see why I got a 12v system warning when the front drive unit was bad.

• Informative
Already had a 12v battery replaced right before delivery. Also mobile service said it was caused by the HV regulator.

I don’t see why I got a 12v system warning when the front drive unit was bad.
F/u to front drive unit failure.

Latham SC calls me regularly to update me. Parts are to arrive this week,; it is now ~one week since they towed my car.

When asked him why mobile service would tell me I had to drive my sick car 7 hrs to get it repaired, he first responded with a deafening silence. Then he apologized for what I was told and explained that if I had driven the car the entire HV system may have been destroyed as well.

I don’t like the idea of being dishonest to get proper service but next time I guess the only answer is to tell Tesla my car is dead. I would like to believe that Tesla employees do not have the knowledge to deal with issues, but I’m not sure of that.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

I had a 2012 Volt, my GOD the amount of errors I got from a low 12 volt battery

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
F/u to front drive unit failure.

Latham SC calls me regularly to update me. Parts are to arrive this week,; it is now ~one week since they towed my car.

When asked him why mobile service would tell me I had to drive my sick car 7 hrs to get it repaired, he first responded with a deafening silence. Then he apologized for what I was told and explained that if I had driven the car the entire HV system may have been destroyed as well.

I don’t like the idea of being dishonest to get proper service but next time I guess the only answer is to tell Tesla my car is dead. I would like to believe that Tesla employees do not have the knowledge to deal with issues, but I’m not sure of that.

After reading your post about "the entire HV system may have been destroyed as well", I was terribly confused. I confirmed why I was confused by going straight to the Tesla.com website and read the following:

dual motor advantage.JPG

So, what does "...,so you never need to worry about getting stuck on the road." mean?

After reading your post about "the entire HV system may have been destroyed as well", I was terribly confused. I confirmed why I was confused by going straight to the Tesla.com website and read the following:

View attachment 441550

So, what does "...,so you never need to worry about getting stuck on the road." mean?
This is not the first time that has been brought up.

Anyway, I drive a Nissan Sentra from Enterprise courtesy Tesla.

As long as my Tesla continued to move, I would drive it, rather than accepting the Sentra. Even if it just had one motor. Not really following the story, but if that was what the service center offered I’d hop in my car and drive away.

Seems like they should have just replaced the 12V battery first, anyway. Then see what happens with other errors.