Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Drive Unit Milling Sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard of the rear DU failing but not the front. I have a 17' MS 100D with approximately 54,000 miles. I have the milling sound many others have complained about with the older models. They ordered part # ASY,SDU,REMAN,FRONT,MDLS,MDLX(1134783-00-J). Does anyone know if this is the most up-to-date DU replacement for the front drive? I understand there are many revisions for the rear DU but cannot find anything regarding revisions on the front DU.

I have heard of the rear DU failing but not the front. I have a 17' MS 100D with approximately 54,000 miles. I have the milling sound many others have complained about with the older models. They ordered part # ASY,SDU,REMAN,FRONT,MDLS,MDLX(1134783-00-J). Does anyone know if this is the most up-to-date DU replacement for the front drive? I understand there are many revisions for the rear DU but cannot find anything regarding revisions on the front DU.

From my experience it's pretty rare to see FDU issues, but not impossible. My own personal car had one replaced according to the service history I have for it (though I estimate it was probably replaced at ~375k mi, so it's well outside of "normal mileage" that most of these cars have).

In the Dual Motor versions of the S/X, the front drive unit is actually the "primary" for the car under most driving situations, so it's not unrealistic to assume that it would see the most wear and tear. Why it would develop a milling issue though I can't really say, but it is still an induction motor like the LDU, so theoretically it could suffer from some the same bearing issues, but I haven't personally seen that happen... I would assume that it uses hybrid ceramic rotor bearings, and steel gearbox bearings, so I would imagine if there is a bearing issue, it would likely be in the gearbox.

I have 2016 dual motor Model S as well and while it was under warranty (back in 2020) I specifically asked service to check whether my front drive unit is starting to have that milling sound. On a test drive the technician noted that this sound is normal for dual motor setup and I should not be concerned as my driving settings was on Range mode… So question to the OP, how do you know it’s front motor? Currently over 70k miles on mine.

…They ordered part # ASY,SDU,REMAN,FRONT,MDLS,MDLX(1134783-00-J). Does anyone know if this is the most up-to-date DU replacement …
I’m looking forward to the answer. I’m also curious if Tesla is replacing non DU0x cars (made before Jun 2017) with DU0x units. I assume the DU0x unit part numbers differ.

In what month was your car manufactured?

Also related, anyone know if a permanant magnet (PMSR) front motor (2019 Raven) has ever been retrofit by a third party into an older induction front car? HV Wiring differences? CANBus or other control connector differences? Physical mounting differences?

I would think that the cooling requirements of the newer motors would be a non issue. Tesla didn’t start using the motors to heat the cars until the 2021 octovalve addition, right?

I wonder how hard the gateway change woukd be.

Just planning ahead for when I get to 375k miles. Grin. This retrofit raven thread does not help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art VandeIay