Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Drive Unit Mount Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new 85D 5 weeks go from Fremont. 3 weeks into ownership I began to hear a thud, with moderate acceleration, coming from behind the glove box area. The sound is similar to a loose molex connector dangling free and hitting the back of the glove box. I absolutely hate squeaks, rattles, thuds, etc, so I must have this fixed. I took the car to my local SC last Wednesday. They took the dash apart and couldn't find the noise. They went through the frunk and tightened everything, but the noise was still there. Finally they determined the noise was coming from the front drive unit and the mount need to be replaced. The local SC just got the part yesterday and said they have some extensive work (lots to disassemble) to do to replace the mount. The techs have never done this before so it will take a bit longer. Though I don't like to wait, I much rather they spend the time to do it right than rush.

Everyone at the SC has been great so far. I'm just worried about my baby undergoing heart surgery by a surgeon doing it for the very first time. There are bound to be unintentional mistakes and my 5-week-old baby will bare all of it. I wish I had the option to send the car back up to Fremont to have this done by expert who do this on the regular.

Has anyone had problems with their MS front drive unit mount or had to have it replaced?

Ray

Got the car back yesterday. They seem to have done a great job from what I can see so far. No more thud! They upgraded my firmware to the latest build, 7.0 (2.7.77). The auto-parking is now working with the latest firmware update! I noticed the outside temperature is no longer on the top of the touchscreen, in the status bar, between door lock icon and charging lightening bolt. It's now back on the instrument panel. It's to the right of the estimated driving distance, like version 6. I really liked the temp icon back on the touchscreen status bar. Is there a setting to get the temperature icon back up on the status bar of the touchscreen? Maybe this should be a new thread.