Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end damage… totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I T-boned a pickup that decided to pull out in front of me never looking left to see if traffic was coming… cops determined it was his fault, and I have the sentry video to prove it. Worst thing is the PPF wrap didn’t do a thing 😜
Can anyone With experience determine if this level of damage will be declared a total loss? It’s a 2018 M3Performance with FSD… All bags deployed. Thanks!

Attachments

• A8F4C52A-D7DB-40D1-9598-C95CF1768862.jpeg
    A8F4C52A-D7DB-40D1-9598-C95CF1768862.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 2,998
  • 9A8D15E9-F6F1-4148-9F7F-77922E738D30.jpeg
    9A8D15E9-F6F1-4148-9F7F-77922E738D30.jpeg
    738.7 KB · Views: 786
  • Funny
Reactions: Matsayz and bedoig
I T-boned a pickup that decided to pull out in front of me never looking left to see if traffic was coming… cops determined it was his fault, and I have the sentry video to prove it. Worst thing is the PPF wrap didn’t do a thing 😜
Can anyone With experience determine if this level of damage will be declared a total loss? It’s a 2018 M3Performance with FSD… All bags deployed. Thanks!
That won't buff out... I would say it is probably totaled by your insurer.

You want it to be totaled. If the first body shop gives a low estimate to trick the insurance company to start the work, go a different body shop.

That's a trick body shops play. They estimate low, hook the insurance company into repairing the car, and once too much work has been done to give up on the car, they go back and ask the insurance company for more money that would have totaled the car. You end up with a car that is never as good as it was before the accident, the insurance company gets snookered, and the body shop owner orders his next Lambo.

Last edited:
Glad you are safe and can joke about the PPF wrap.
thanks ... definitely lots to be thankful for this holiday.

You want it to be totaled. If the first body shop gives a low estimate to trick the insurance company to start the work, go a different body shop.

That's a trick body shops play. They estimate low, hook the insurance company into repairing the car, and once too much work has been done to give up on the car, they go back and ask the insurance company for more money that would have totaled the car. You end up with a car that is never as good as it was before the accident, the insurance company gets snookered, and the body shop owner orders his next Lambo.
that's what I'm afraid of... prefer just to start with a clean slate. i'll find out hopefully sooner than later and keep this thread updated.

Totaled, and make sure you take off those carbon center caps! Glad you’re okay.

also, which one of you was shopping at adult world?
great reminder... pawn the center caps at EZ Pawn next door for for some spending money at Adult World.

update-
after ignoring my calls for a month, my Insurance will not total the car based on the photo estimates. looks like they will order a teardown. Hopefully they find enough damage to total the car once torn down. this is going to be a long process.

That's terrible. What insurance company? I want to avoid them.

Given all the airbags went off and the look of that damage, and how much wrecked Tesla's sell for at auction, I am really surprised by their decision.

It will now come down to how honest the body shop is with their initial estimate. If they low ball it to get the work, you're screwed.

If I were you, and they don't total it, I would be planning my next car right now so I could offload this one as soon as it's done.

That's terrible. What insurance company? I want to avoid them.

Given all the airbags went off and the look of that damage, and how much wrecked Tesla's sell for at auction, I am really surprised by their decision.

It will now come down to how honest the body shop is with their initial estimate. If they low ball it to get the work, you're screwed.

If I were you, and they don't total it, I would be planning my next car right now so I could offload this one as soon as it's done.
Statefarm says that due to Nevada Law, a total loss only occurs after repairs MINUS paint and electronics is greater than 65% of the value and they can’t use other formulas to determine total loss… don’t know if that’s BS or not. I’m having it torn down by Tesla Las Vegas, so we’ll see how it goes. If it’s not totaled, I’m definitely selling it once it’s repaired…. Let’s see the haircut I take on selling a car with that kind of accident history.

Statefarm says that due to Nevada Law, a total loss only occurs after repairs MINUS paint and electronics is greater than 65% of the value and they can’t use other formulas to determine total loss… don’t know if that’s BS or not. I’m having it torn down by Tesla Las Vegas, so we’ll see how it goes. If it’s not totaled, I’m definitely selling it once it’s repaired…. Let’s see the haircut I take on selling a car with that kind of accident history.

So basically Statefarm sucks big time, duly noted. Did you ask them for the Patrick Price or the Rodgers Rate? Also, how convenient for their formula to exclude electronics, THE thing that has become more and more prominent, complex, and expensive in modern vehicles. Also also.. how vaguely or specifically would "electronics" be defined here?

update-
after ignoring my calls for a month, my Insurance will not total the car based on the photo estimates. looks like they will order a teardown. Hopefully they find enough damage to total the car once torn down. this is going to be a long process.

Is the tesla las vegas outsourcing the repairs to a third party body shop?

For sure the secondary estimate will show a lot more damge. However body shops like to lowball the initial price estimate so they can get paid out. Once they start tearing down, they can bill the insurance company a bit more money, instead of just storage fees etc.

Body shops are a shady practice most of the time, but of course they have to get paid like everyone else.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

For sure the secondary estimate will show a lot more damge. However body shops like to lowball the initial price estimate so they can get paid out. Once they start tearing down, they can bill the insurance company a bit more money, instead of just storage fees etc.

Body shops are a shady practice most of the time, but of course they have to get paid like everyone else.
Can you still drive it

It’s a Tesla Collision Center… their initial photo estimate was much higher than statefarm, but still lower than the 65% total threshold … hopefully with a tear down, they get it over the threshold. It’s a Tesla shop, not ‘Jimmy’s Autobody,’ so hopefully there’s less incentive to play games with insurance, but it’s still a business.

Can you still drive it
Nope.