Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End Damage - Totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 378
  • image0 (6).jpeg
    image0 (6).jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
I'm SURPRISED you have dash cam. Mine LOST the 30-60 before the hit. Seems to be common with fuse blowing with airbag deployment.

This is obviously the other persons fault. I would hire a respected injury attorney. I've done it several time. Not that you want a $1M payment. Just repair / replacement, Medical, Loss time / FTO use w/ work, minimal pain suffering (you have SOME pain). The big thing is they handle everything with the other guy, your insurance, etc so you don't have to stress over all the details and there WILL be a LOT.

Totaled? Varies. My insurance company, Allstate, totaled my 2020 w/ 1500 miles on it and "reluctantly" issued me a check for me than I paid for it to cover full replacement value even though that kind of policy isn't offered in my state.

I the fact that they advertise full replacement value on their website. There have also been lawsuits that Allstate paid out for false advertising of replacement value.

The fact that replacement cars had a 8-10 week day I'm sure factored in as "comparable" were HIGH at the time.

I also brought my personal local agent in on the claim (not everyone has this) and said I would up my policy coverage and add umbrella policy if he fought for me on the car value. I needed to do this anyone due to increase in personal income, personal worth, etc.

Allstate specifically told me "ANYTIME the airbags go off we total the Tesla".

Personally I thought it could be repaired and for FAR less than they paid me. But it would have also been months to get all the parts and repair it, plus all the storage fees, and retail car.

In MY situation it would be totaled and it was.

You want that to be totaled. A safety system deployed, and you've sustained substantial damage to the corner of the car. Do you really want that to be rebuilt and then throw your family back in it?

There's a lot more damage that comes from an accident of that caliber than you can visually see (crumple zones and all), and it'll never drive quite right again. If it was an antique or something super rare, maybe fix it....but for a standard S, better to replace it.

See the pics of the damages, 2 air bags blew, front passenger side was hit hard. There was smoke smell coming from the inside possible from the airbags.
Is it totaled?
Fault was the other guy in red sedan, he pulled in me while I was headed straight on a highway...

DASHCAM: cm-chat-media-video-b_EiQSFTNraVdKdFh5WEZwc2JreDlBUktMZxoAGgAyAXxIAlAEYAE

What the hell where they doing. Not only did they pull in front of oncoming traffic. They also continued to the next lane where you were trying to avoid them. The really STUPID thing is they came out of a right turn only and then proceeded to make a left against the flow of traffic to get to the other side of the road. There should be multiple tickets for them.

Glad you were able to avoid the monster truck or that would have been even worse.

Similar thing happened to me when I was returning the S75 loaner (but with much less damage). I was sideswiped by someone pulling out from a driveway on PCH making a left turn through a closed construction zone. He tagged the driver side rear wheel and knocked in the parking sensor. The repair bill for the S75 was surprisingly only $600 but it took 7 months for the insurance companies to settle everything out. It was clearly his fault and he was very nice about everything. We both had no idea why he tried to cross a construction zone on PCH! of all places.

What the hell where they doing. Not only did they pull in front of oncoming traffic. They also continued to the next lane where you were trying to avoid them. The really STUPID thing is they came out of a right turn only and then proceeded to make a left against the flow of traffic to get to the other side of the road. There should be multiple tickets for them.

Glad you were able to avoid the monster truck or that would have been even worse.

Worst still. There was a straight ahead lane to merge onto the other side but they just had to use the right turn only to try and go straight.

How old / young / intelligent was this person? Were they apologetic?

Whatever you do, don't give that video to the insurance company...theirs OR yours. If the other person got a citation from the police, let that be the proof that they were at fault.

You don't want the other insurance company saying "well, you could clearly see he was pulling out. You could have just stopped instead of trying to change lanes. So our driver isn't totally at fault"

There are real world examples of this...I just read about one on here recently.

Whatever you do, don't give that video to the insurance company...theirs OR yours. If the other person got a citation from the police, let that be the proof that they were at fault.

You don't want the other insurance company saying "well, you could clearly see he was pulling out. You could have just stopped instead of trying to change lanes. So our driver isn't totally at fault"

There are real world examples of this...I just read about one on here recently.
A little late for the video to insurance, both insurances have it, and both insurances have determined fault to be the red cars, he did too many illegal moves such as running a stop sign.

Reactions: Trebek1762