Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end design of the Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will 100% gladly take the 20 mile range hit if I get something similar to the classic S nosecone. Although something tells me those features don't really add that many more miles.

The Cd of the model S is 0.24, for the Model ≡ it may be 0.21, a difference of 12.5%. So that Model S nosecone is going to cost closer to 27 miles of range. No thanks.

Thank you kindly.

Yet another thread on the front design??... Anyway, autoblog wrote about the controversy, and went so far as mentioning Mihai75 for his redesign:

hai-le-tesla-model-3-1.jpg

Well the 3 could be more aerodynamic compared to S due to many reasons one of which is the frontal design.

I don't think there is anyone here capable of quantifying how much each design element contributes to overall Cd but one thing we can say definitely is that ALL these will be important and is no laughing matter :)

The Model 3 design does not say that at all.

Going from a design that apes Maserati/Jaguar/Aston Martin to a unique corporate design does not make Model 3 a wierdmobile.

And it is off to as much a wild success as anyone could have hoped for with 400k pre-orders.

Wierdmobiles that don't appeal to the wide center of the consumer market don't get 400k pre-orders. Those people voted with 1000 Dollars/Pounds/Euros not internet postings.
200k of those were before the car was even revealed. Tesla has built a reputation for making good cars that are technologically advanced. This is what entices people moreso than the design. Tons of people aren't huge fans of the front end, but those same tons still put down money because the car is a lot more than the nose.

The entire design is not a weirdmobile except for the front end. Kind of like a hybrid weirdmobile? Just good-looking enough that those 200k are going to be okay with it.

Well the 3 could be more aerodynamic compared to S due to many reasons one of which is the frontal design.

I don't think there is anyone here capable of quantifying how much each design element contributes to overall Cd but one thing we can say definitely is that ALL these will be important and is no laughing matter :)

Well we'll know soon enough because the Model S now has basically the same front end as the Model 3. Will the refreshed Model S have more range than the old one?

Well we'll know soon enough because the Model S now has basically the same front end as the Model 3. Will the refreshed Model S have more range than the old one?
I hope they publish Cd numbers for the new S.

What's interesting is that the X has the same Cd as the old S. People will be quick to point out that a taller car should have a larger Cd, and so they'll think that the only reason the X was able to retain the same Cd is because of the front end change. The reality is that the shorter hood and bubbly back end are what brought the Cd down so far.

The 3 has those exact same features, but shorter and with a more prominent spoiler section on back, which is great for aerodynamics. Ignoring the front end, it is the most aerodynamically designed Tesla vehicle to date.

So, we don't really know how much the front end actually affects the Cd. The overall shape is far more important than minor creases and gouges. Yes, every millimeter counts, but it's not like the S nosecone vs stache vs I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM is the difference between .24 vs .23 vs .22.

Another way to look at it is "Why hasn't Tesla published the Cd for the new S?"

If it was lower because of the "more aerodynamic" front end, wouldn't you want to advertise that? It's probably pretty likely that the Cd hasn't changed at all, or if it did, it's a negligible amount in the hundredth or thousandth decimal place and rounding brings us back to .24 in the end. God forbid it went up because it's more flat instead of round, you sure as hell aren't gonna tell anybody that.

The front end makes a difference, but it's not night and day as most people here seem to think.

I hope they publish Cd numbers for the new S.

What's interesting is that the X has the same Cd as the old S. People will be quick to point out that a taller car should have a larger Cd, and so they'll think that the only reason the X was able to retain the same Cd is because of the front end change. The reality is that the shorter hood and bubbly back end are what brought the Cd down so far.

The 3 has those exact same features, but shorter and with a more prominent spoiler section on back, which is great for aerodynamics. Ignoring the front end, it is the most aerodynamically designed Tesla vehicle to date.

So, we don't really know how much the front end actually affects the Cd. The overall shape is far more important than minor creases and gouges. Yes, every millimeter counts, but it's not like the S nosecone vs stache vs I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM is the difference between .24 vs .23 vs .22.

Another way to look at it is "Why hasn't Tesla published the Cd for the new S?"

If it was lower because of the "more aerodynamic" front end, wouldn't you want to advertise that? It's probably pretty likely that the Cd hasn't changed at all, or if it did, it's a negligible amount in the hundredth or thousandth decimal place and rounding brings us back to .24 in the end. God forbid it went up because it's more flat instead of round, you sure as hell aren't gonna tell anybody that.

The front end makes a difference, but it's not night and day as most people here seem to think.

Agreed, however one thing to keep in mind. There are a lot of people that like the mustache and the M3 front end the way it is. While I know that there are many that do not I think there are an equal number, if not more that like it the way it is. Personally, I am pretty squarely on the fence on this one. I must say I do like the rendering of the mustache placed on the Model 3 to match its stable mates, but I am just as happy with it the way it is.

Dan

It's my understanding that (in general) the rear end of a car has more impact on the overall aerodynamics of a vehicle than the front end. A vehicle with a sharp cut-off in the back creates a vacuum that works against the forward motion (i.e. increased drag). Getting a smooth airflow off the back is where people are spending most of their effort.

That's not to say that the front end and other aspects don't affect the aerodynamics, but those are more straightforward and "easier."

I do not want the mustache... 3 looks so different and clean, I love it more and more!!! It looks very different yet like a normal car... given the proportions of the M3 vs MS, shorter byt same height, the mustache would look weird... As for me, I would be very disappointed, if they change it. Rather than the mustache, make it a liftback, so much more practical! :)

I do not want the mustache... 3 looks so different and clean, I love it more and more!!! It looks very different yet like a normal car... given the proportions of the M3 vs MS, shorter byt same height, the mustache would look weird... As for me, I would be very disappointed, if they change it. Rather than the mustache, make it a liftback, so much more practical! :)

Ha! You dislike the mustache about as much as I would dislike it as a liftback!

Dan

All the edit does is try to make it look more like a Porsche.
Jeez...anything Tesla designers do will be reminiscent of something else to somebody somewhere. If you're going to resemble something, Porsche is not bad company to be in. If you prefer a nose design that doesn't remind you of something else, I refer you again to the Barris custom work shown earlier. George Barris was absolutely one of my heroes when I was a young car freak, however that was then. Now that I am old(er) car freak, I like the Mihai75 integration of the nose which still maintains the supposed Cd reducing upper edge.

It's not easy being green or graceful.

anything Tesla designers do will be reminiscent of something else

Important to remember that pic is from a fan, not tesla. The sensors have to be pointed forward not down though..

I would argue that pointing the nose down like that will actually increase drag vs reduce it. As a simply exercise, put your hand out of your window as you're driving parallel to the ground... now tilt your thumb-side downward.