Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think they could have done a better job, lets see what you have in mind. If you can design a car and show us, and if it actually looks better than the model 3 (without compromising coefficent of friction), then I would like to have a conversation with you, until then, we are jusy gabbling.

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm gabbing. I'm sorry you take it personally that I think the Tesla designs suck but there are far better looking cars out there whether you want to accept that or not. And it's coefficient of drag...not friction.

Until you can actually offer evidence to the contrary that the Model S isn't an aging design well past the refresh point, I guess yeah....you're gabbing. Get real man. Don't be such a fanboy...when something needs to be changed it needs to be changed. Don't get so butt-hurt about it.

This would have looked better:

img-592657836-1447869610613.jpg

Or this
audi-sportback-concept.jpg

Or this:
subaru-impreza-sedan-concept-17.jpg

Or this:

ford-evos-concept-xl.jpg

I could go on and on and on....

Hopefully you'll get my point.

Reactions: linkster
I tend to agree...then again I think the entire design is a big let down. You can't convince the fans of that because they'll swallow it regardless but as a whole the exterior design of this car is a huge failure in creativity and innovation IMO.
Guess how long tesla motors has even existed... Just 13 years! They are a VERY new company in comparison to other manufactuers (GM is well over 100 years old) and with the technology they've offered, it totally beats the crap out of everyone else. That is what makes tesla special, they created the worst nightmare for the mainstream auto industry, and just NOW THEY ARE MAKING THIER MARK!! The look of it beats the bolt, leaf, ANYTHING else for the price, AND its from a company that wants to see the gas car get SHUT DOWN!! Convincing "fans" is not all about the way the car is, its about leaving planet safe enough for your kids to live in.

Guess how long tesla motors has even existed... Just 13 years! They are a VERY new company in comparison to other manufactuers (GM is well over 100 years old) and with the technology they've offered, it totally beats the crap out of everyone else. That is what makes tesla special, they created the worst nightmare for the mainstream auto industry, and just NOW THEY ARE MAKING THIER MARK!! The look of it beats the bolt, leaf, ANYTHING else for the price, AND its from a company that wants to see the gas car get SHUT DOWN!! Convincing "fans" is not all about the way the car is, its about leaving planet safe enough for your kids to live in.

It doesn't matter how long Tesla has been in existence. Most of the people are Detroit transplants and they've been in the bussiness for decades. So what's your point?

Part of being a "fan" is to look at the product critically..not while drooling at the mouth and accepting whatever is being shoveled down your throat. At least that's my definition of a fan. I doubt most Tesla drivers really care too much about the planet. They are wealthy, spend money of crap they don't need, and leave a massive carbon footprint everywhere else. So let's not go down that eco-route. I own an EV, know all about being eco-friendly and preserving and conserving.

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm gabbing. I'm sorry you take it personally that I think the Tesla designs suck but there are far better looking cars out there whether you want to accept that or not. And it's coefficient of drag...not friction.

Until you can actually offer evidence to the contrary that the Model S isn't an aging design well past the refresh point, I guess yeah....you're gabbing. Get real man. Don't be such a fanboy...when something needs to be changed it needs to be changed. Don't get so butt-hurt about it.

Absolutely Gorgeous - Now that's a design.

Reactions: Red Sage
It doesn't matter how long Tesla has been in existence. Most of the people are Detroit transplants and they've been in the bussiness for decades. So what's your point?

Part of being a "fan" is to look at the product critically..not while drooling at the mouth and accepting whatever is being shoveled down your throat. At least that's my definition of a fan. I doubt most Tesla drivers really care too much about the planet. They are wealthy, spend money of crap they don't need, and leave a massive carbon footprint everywhere else. So let's not go down that eco-route. I own an EV, know all about being eco-friendly and preserving and conserving.

I would have to agree with you that Most "CURRENT" Tesla drivers don't care too much about the planet, however wouldn't you think that M3 owners will? The price of Tesla cars has dipped into the range of folks who care about the environment.

I was 2nd in line at the Chicago Grand Avenue location last Thursday. Below is my Green Energy contribution to the planet. My solar array.

SolarEdge

I'm going to be a environmentally conscious Tesla Owner.

Reactions: Red Sage

img-592657836-1447869610613.jpg

Or this
audi-sportback-concept.jpg

Or this:
subaru-impreza-sedan-concept-17.jpg

Or this:

ford-evos-concept-xl.jpg

I do think those cars look nice. But there is just something about it that has hints much like that of a box-car style vehicle. Its not a revolutionary look. Sure there might be more curves than the last versions, but it almost looks like a car from 10 years ago. The reason I like the model 3 is because it looks different. Its simple and timeless. All of these cars above kind of look the same. I hope my view on this translated well.

I would have to agree with you that Most "CURRENT" Tesla drivers don't care too much about the planet, however wouldn't you think that M3 owners will? The price of Tesla cars has dipped into the range of folks who care about the environment.

I was 2nd in line at the Chicago Grand Avenue location last Thursday. Below is my Green Energy contribution to the planet. My solar array.

SolarEdge

I'm going to be a environmentally conscious Tesla Owner.

That's a good question and you make good points. Judging from other EV and hybrid vehicle boards and forums I've been to, I'd have to say no they wouldn't. They want to save money.

More Tesla owners are...as witnessed even here on this board...are more interested in getting their rebates and tax breaks than anything else. That's the consensus I heard about WHY they are so hard up to put down a deposit on a car that doesn't yet exist...so their place in line isn't lost before the number of cars sold phases out the tax breaks.

I commend you on being one of the environmentally conscientious ones...I'm an EV driver myself and am conscientious in pretty much every other part of my life as well.

Keep in mind also that the production of these cars still requires massive amounts of materials. Wouldn't it be more conscientious to invest in other forms of transport as a whole? Yes I'm playing devil's advocate but I mean if people are really that conscientious about these things they'd not be pushing for a fast EV. You get what I mean.

Reactions: RidgeRacerJM

my point is that Tesla ONLY makes electric cars, because they see the future as that. An older company has old habits, the only reason the bolt is going to exist is because GM got rebooted after the bailout and changed CEOs. I think you think it looks funny because the front is different from other cars, in that case, the more used to you are to a style the more you get comfortable with it. Thats part of the reason why apple is just stumbling in the different designs (because they dont really want to change). In that case, with a newer conpany they are more flexible in designs, thats why they created the falcon wing doors, because its different AND better (maybe not cheaper, but I hope you get the point).

my point is that Tesla ONLY makes electric cars, because they see the future as that. An older company has old habits, the only reason the bolt is going to exist is because GM got rebooted after the bailout and changed CEOs. I think you think it looks funny because the front is different from other cars, in that case, the more used to you are to a style the more you get comfortable with it. Thats part of the reason why apple is just stumbling in the different designs (because they dont really want to change). In that case, with a newer conpany they are more flexible in designs, thats why they created the falcon wing doors, because its different AND better (maybe not cheaper, but I hope you get the point).

Look...making an EV doesn't mean the car needs to be ugly or outdated in looks. That's my point. Where you see timeless, I see old and outdated. It's a bit like people who rave on and on about Rolex watches..they look like watches for old farts. That's my take on it. If you like it, great man..more power to you.

But for a "new" company, Tesla has hired "old" school designers from Motor City and it shows. I'm not debating the "tech" and as you say that shows with some of the innovative technical things Tesla does...but come on...just look at the Model X and then tell me with a straight face that those falcon wing doors belong on such a frumpy looking car.

Look...making an EV doesn't mean the car needs to be ugly or outdated in looks. That's my point. Where you see timeless, I see old and outdated. It's a bit like people who rave on and on about Rolex watches..they look like watches for old farts. That's my take on it. If you like it, great man..more power to you.

But for a "new" company, Tesla has hired "old" school designers from Motor City and it shows. I'm not debating the "tech" and as you say that shows with some of the innovative technical things Tesla does...but come on...just look at the Model X and then tell me with a straight face that those falcon wing doors belong on such a frumpy looking car.
I dont know what to say, that last sentence just kind of blew it for me, lol.
I guess you're right, i sure am a fanboy.:D

I look at that and think air trap and drag. Electric vehicles should look like they glide through the air. There's no need for an opening since all that says to me is engine, transmission, heat, radiator, fan, cooling,.. ICE. I don't like any reminders. It's time to move on.

I love the Model 3 front end. It looks so much better than the S.

Huh? There was no opening added. Only thing was done was to get rid of the blunt nose. I don't understand your comment.

Haven't all the Tesla prototypes had different noses from the final version? I actually like the 3 a lot but I am also pretty sure that they put this design out there in a bold and polarizing version on purpose. They will watch public reaction and see how people will accept a radical car design change. I am a designer and do this all the time; making a design specifically to gather feedback, even if it ends up negative. I would take the 3 as is but I also suspect it will change before we hit production.

Plus, this is probably one of the very few cars designed to handle a front license plate without wrecking the aerodynamics.
I bet this is the main reason for the design. They've been obsessive about aerodynamics at Tesla -- in order to get maximum range. And it's just dumb to take a highly aerodynamic design and ruin it the moment you put on the legally required front licence plate! (I've always wondered how much range I lose from the plate in the Model S.)

So, everyone showing their alternative proposals for the front end? You're being silly and impractical. I have not seen a single alternative proposal *with a license plate on it*. If your image doesn't have a license plate, you're not making a serious proposal, you're just fantasizing that you can change the license plate laws in half the states and dozens of countries, which you can't.

Not one of you has proposed a better design, because *you haven't even proposed designs at all*. The license plate is an integral part of a complete design. Consider this a challenge.