Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just think it looks so much better without "the 'stache."

It will be cheaper/easier to manufacture, easier to wash/wax the car, and says, "I'm the future, and not just another ICE'r."

Even the view from down-low is starting to grow on me.

I want the car to be unique, and not even confused with another Tesla.

I also love the very thin/flat emblem lying flat on the hood.

My sentiments exactly!

I just think it looks so much better without "the 'stache."

It will be cheaper/easier to manufacture, easier to wash/wax the car, and says, "I'm the future, and not just another ICE'r."

Even the view from down-low is starting to grow on me.

I want the car to be unique, and not even confused with another Tesla.

I also love the very thin/flat emblem lying flat on the hood.
+1
Also keep in mind the licence plate , the perception of the image will change completely.
Now it's really in your face but that will not be the case with the licence plate on it.

Interesting reading ... Tesla Finds its Design Language

Considering how young Tesla is, how focused they are on technological innovations, this design refresh (to keep up with the newer models) shows the brand has hit its stride aesthetically—the vibe is now one of polished understatement and, most importantly, it's consistent across all their vehicles.

upload_2016-7-10_9-58-4.png

Interesting reading ... Tesla Finds its Design Language
Considering how young Tesla is, how focused they are on technological innovations, this design refresh (to keep up with the newer models) shows the brand has hit its stride aesthetically—the vibe is now one of polished understatement and, most importantly, it's consistent across all their vehicles.

Yes, but the question still remain: Is this - the new front end of the Model S/X - that will remain as their "brand aesthetics", or it this just one step: they removed the nose-cone, but kept the "mustache" from the top of the cone, on its way to the next step as we see it on the Model 3?

Elon has said they are aiming for a class leading Cd of 0.21 with Model 3 so I think they will try to 'smoothen' the front as much as possible until they reach their goal or get as close as possible. If the refreshed Model S has a Cd of 0.22, I'd say it is possible Model 3 might end up looking similar but otherwise much less of a chance. Every little counts when trying to reach aggressive goals.

Elon has said they are aiming for a class leading Cd of 0.21 with Model 3 so I think they will try to 'smoothen' the front as much as possible until they reach their goal or get as close as possible. If the refreshed Model S has a Cd of 0.22, I'd say it is possible Model 3 might end up looking similar but otherwise much less of a chance. Every little counts when trying to reach aggressive goals.

If they truly cared about aerodynamics they wouldn't have a mustache crease. It would be flush with the rest of the nose/bumper.

Maybe if the frunk lines met the opening and the "duck lips" less pronounced?

o2OECKE.jpg
I like this because it less of a Ferrari/Ford/Porsche sort of look for the hood and is more in line with what I expect from Tesla Motors. Still, if the emblem remains on the hood, it will at least hearken back to the Tesla Roadster. I do expect that the lower air dam and corner lights/air inlets will be different on the final car, closer to what we see on the Model S today.