Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lovely_complex___annoyed_risa_by_adila.png

It has an annoyed facial expression.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
I would suggest that that VW car is in the same class as the Chevy Bolt.

I believe that we are doing a grave disservice to the M3 by posting its pictures along with cars that are not in it's class. Just because 2 cars are EV's don't make them classmates.

Why? This thread is about the front end. With the ID, VW gives a reference point on how to gauge Tesla's design decisions with the Model 3.

Despite having seen the Model 3 in advance, it doesn't seem like VW can get a better looking front. *sigh*

VW-ID-1-xlarge_trans++3sdwy-ngpNw09NK-i12JiR5lMmI7ZU_vhJvtOwbvf1o.jpg

wood.jpg

Last edited:
I will ask just two questions:

1. Do you think the demography of buyers who currently buy BMW 3/ M3, Audi A4 / RS4, etc. will want to be seen driving this VW ID ?
2. On the other hand, do you think they would like to be seen driving a Tesla Model 3 ?

Yes we are discussing the front end of Model 3 but if you ask yourself these questions, it will be clear why the Model 3 exterior design is miles ahead of the competition and the funny thing is, mainstream ICE car companies simply fail to get the very basics right when designing EVs.

Reactions: JOEV1 and Red Sage
it'll definitely take time to get used to it-and then you'll like it-I like it already-it's the future- no more grill.

The Model 3 prototype actually was styled using old-school ICE design language, which is still engrained in much of our society. The M3 has a grille, albeit blanked out. Here is a photo of the Model 3, and below that is a render that pastes a Ford Focus radiator grille on the flat nose of the M3 (the Ford radiator is about the same shape, so an easy stretch to make it fit). That render pretty clearly shows that Franz was copying the ICE look when he designed the Model 3. The Model 3 version below that shows a low-drag, aerodynamic nose well-suited for EVs.
3M3.jpg

Another illustration of the same point is blanking over the grille on the Ford Focus to give you the Model 3 look. Either way, the grille shape is still there.
2Focus.jpg

Finally, another comparison of the Model 3 with its “grille” compared to a sleeker, more modern EV alternative.
CompareTile.jpg

The Model 3 prototype actually was styled using old-school ICE design language, which is still engrained in much of our society. The M3 has a grille, albeit blanked out. Here is a photo of the Model 3, and below that is a render that pastes a Ford Focus radiator grille on the flat nose of the M3 (the Ford radiator is about the same shape, so an easy stretch to make it fit). That render pretty clearly shows that Franz was copying the ICE look when he designed the Model 3.

The Model 3 version below that shows a low-drag, aerodynamic nose well-suited for EVs.Another illustration of the same point is blanking over the grille on the Ford Focus to give you the Model 3 look. Either way, the grille shape is still there. Finally, another comparison of the Model 3 with its “grille” compared to a sleeker, more modern EV alternative.

Thank goodness you are not an automotive designer ... keep up the good work Franz! :cool:

The model 3 design is really good. It is a "best work of their lives" design. There are some stagnation point, boundary layer thickness/flow things happening on the front to address the wheel openings and allocate flow. The model 3 is a lot more subtle about this than other cars that emphasize low drag. It is really good work.

I figured out what it is that I don't like about the M3 front end. Aside from the smile it is the view from the side. If you look at the hood it slopes down from the windshield and then at the front of the tire it goes back up a bit before plunging down at the front. It looks too thin ahead of the front wheel.

Love the rest of the car though. I will live with it:)

I figured out what it is that I don't like about the M3 front end. Aside from the smile it is the view from the side. If you look at the hood it slopes down from the windshield and then at the front of the tire it goes back up a bit before plunging down at the front. It looks too thin ahead of the front wheel.

Love the rest of the car though. I will live with it:)
Why not just go with the Model X or new Model S nose, the Model 3 nose looks like it got smacked. Hope they change it before production starts. Also do not like the Tesla insignia on the frunk.

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner