Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 prototype actually was styled using old-school ICE design language, which is still engrained in much of our society. The M3 has a grille, albeit blanked out. Here is a photo of the Model 3, and below that is a render that pastes a Ford Focus radiator grille on the flat nose of the M3 (the Ford radiator is about the same shape, so an easy stretch to make it fit). That render pretty clearly shows that Franz was copying the ICE look when he designed the Model 3. The Model 3 version below that shows a low-drag, aerodynamic nose well-suited for EVs.

I don't see how you jump to the conclusion Franz was copying the ICE look. Influenced by other ICE cars sure, but to outright conclude copying is a bit of a stretch. If you recall after the reveal the novel front of the Model 3 got lots of feedback, both good and bad, but what was consistent were comments that the front end was certainly different which is why there has been so much reaction. But a copy of ICE, not likely.

Chris L is right though,
"The Model 3 prototype actually was styled using old-school ICE design language, which is still engrained in much of our society."

Elon and Franz did this by design, to get quick acceptance with still sexy designs. But as nearly all manufacturers are finally (in some cases reluctantly) getting onboard with the EV realization.... next gen EVs can drop the ICE bound designs and start thinking about entirely new form factors.

Some other new entrants are already talking about this. Avant-garde designs that don't worry about hoods over engines, etc. Rethinking what "cab forward" could really mean, and/or focus on more complete aerodynamic design. Our tastes and acceptance will be challenged along the way.

Will be interesting to watch this industry morph more over this next 3 years than it has in the last 80.

The Model 3 prototype actually was styled using old-school ICE design language, which is still engrained in much of our society. The M3 has a grille, albeit blanked out. Here is a photo of the Model 3, and below that is a render that pastes a Ford Focus radiator grille on the flat nose of the M3 (the Ford radiator is about the same shape, so an easy stretch to make it fit). That render pretty clearly shows that Franz was copying the ICE look when he designed the Model 3. The Model 3 version below that shows a low-drag, aerodynamic nose well-suited for EVs.
3M3.jpg

Another illustration of the same point is blanking over the grille on the Ford Focus to give you the Model 3 look. Either way, the grille shape is still there.
2Focus.jpg

Finally, another comparison of the Model 3 with its “grille” compared to a sleeker, more modern EV alternative.
CompareTile.jpg

Personally, I like the Porsche-style front end the best. It will catch fewer bugs and rocks and might have a lower CoD. Even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, don't hold me to the aerodynamics.

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME
Chris L is right though,
"The Model 3 prototype actually was styled using old-school ICE design language, which is still engrained in much of our society."

Elon and Franz did this by design, to get quick acceptance with still sexy designs. But as nearly all manufacturers are finally (in some cases reluctantly) getting onboard with the EV realization.... next gen EVs can drop the ICE bound designs and start thinking about entirely new form factors.

Some other new entrants are already talking about this. Avant-garde designs that don't worry about hoods over engines, etc. Rethinking what "cab forward" could really mean, and/or focus on more complete aerodynamic design. Our tastes and acceptance will be challenged along the way.

Will be interesting to watch this industry morph more over this next 3 years than it has in the last 80.
When digital cameras first came out, some manufacturers took advantage of the fact that they're no longer bound by the restrictions of an optical-mechanical design for cameras and they came out with some unique form factors. However, over time, camera design gravitated back to the traditional form factor, but with the addition of an LCD display. Is this because people are too hidebound to accept a different design or is it because there are functionality/usability reasons for that design to be widely accepted? Likewise with EVs, I see some opportunities for streamlining and non-functional things such as grills going away, but there's only so much that can be done with the basic car layout. After all, there still needs to be a compartment with comfortable seating for the passengers, a crumple zone in the front (even though it doesn't hold an engine anymore), cargo storage in the back, etc.

My 2 cents...I think Chris L has identified the source of the styling heartburn felt by many. The front end does seem to be set up for a traditional "front" and when you don't put a grille in it many people feel something is missing. In post #889 Chris shows a no-grille version without the "set up" and while not zippy, it does seem complete to me. Zip can can still occur with the judicious use of one or two crisp edges (NOT like the 2017 Prius) integrating the elements of the front. I myself will continue to vote for no toy grille in the 21st century and also vote for the horizontal crease concept shown in Chris's #889.

My 2 cents...I think Chris L has identified the source of the styling heartburn felt by many. The front end does seem to be set up for a traditional "front" and when you don't put a grille in it many people feel something is missing. In post #889 Chris shows a no-grille version without the "set up" and while not zippy, it does seem complete to me. Zip can can still occur with the judicious use of one or two crisp edges (NOT like the 2017 Prius) integrating the elements of the front. I myself will continue to vote for no toy grille in the 21st century and also vote for the horizontal crease concept shown in Chris's #889.
Very well said.

Reactions: Red Sage
When digital cameras first came out, some manufacturers took advantage of the fact that they're no longer bound by the restrictions of an optical-mechanical design for cameras and they came out with some unique form factors. However, over time, camera design gravitated back to the traditional form factor, but with the addition of an LCD display. Is this because people are too hidebound to accept a different design or is it because there are functionality/usability reasons for that design to be widely accepted? Likewise with EVs, I see some opportunities for streamlining and non-functional things such as grills going away, but there's only so much that can be done with the basic car layout. After all, there still needs to be a compartment with comfortable seating for the passengers, a crumple zone in the front (even though it doesn't hold an engine anymore), cargo storage in the back, etc.

Yes and no regarding cameras, particularly non-DSLRs. And witness the most widely used cameras today, happen to be in the same form factor as your phone. ;)

Don't disagree at all with your comments, but the new form constraints for car designers are really quite simple: 1) flat floor, 2) watermelon sized motor between 4 wheels.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'll admit the old look grew on me some (at least on the silver car in most of photos to date), but I do like this quite a bit better. Some are saying the entire front is somewhat longer. In one of the investor threads, someone said they see it as about 5% bigger proportionally, apparently having measured in photos.

I think by 2020, worldwide demand will be over 2 million per year for the 3 alone (the less polarizing look being part of the recipe). I realize that's more than any car at any price point currently and about 4X the BMW 3 series. I also realize Tesla likely won't be able to deliver that many vehicles for several years beyond 2020.