Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still see the duck bill to some extent. I just don't think it is as high up as before.

Also I am not seeing the mustache like what was mentioned on the Model 3 Owners update video. I am personally hoping it doesn't have the stache.

I don't see the 'stache either, and whole-heartedly agree -- including it would be an abomination. From what I can see, I think Elon just took a cue from James Anders' render of the front end (which we know caught his attention) and the positive reception it received here and elsewhere, and just tweaked the nose accordingly.

I don't see the 'stache either, and whole-heartedly agree -- including it would be an abomination. From what I can see, I think Elon just took a cue from James Anders' render of the front end (which we know caught his attention) and the positive reception it received here and elsewhere, and just tweaked the nose accordingly.

I'm still thinking it doesn't have a 'point' like James Anders rendition. There is another render that was posted by @sleepyshado on twitter that I think is closer to how the actual release candidate came out.

I still see the duck bill to some extent. I just don't think it is as high up as before.

Also I am not seeing the mustache like what was mentioned on the Model 3 Owners update video. I am personally hoping it doesn't have the stache.
I agree as well. I think the front end is still basically the same but the leading edge at the top is more rounded, not so sharp a crease. I still see the downward droop of the duck bill, again just more smoothed out and not so sharp a crease.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm still thinking it doesn't have a 'point' like James Anders rendition. There is another render that was posted by @sleepyshado on twitter that I think is closer to how the actual release candidate came out.
IMG_20170328_192928.jpg

Wow, right now I kinda feel like I'm the sole member of humanity capable of failing a Rorschach test. Maybe I'm finding it difficult to separate what I want to see versus what is actually there, but I'm just not seeing the duck bill anymore.

For S&Gs, I opened up the first frame of Elon's Twitter video (where we have the best visibility of the front end, and the car is virtually at rest) in full-screen, took a screenshot, dumped it into Photoshop, and dialed up the brightness and contrast (as only a Photoshop amateur like myself knows how to do). This is what I ended up with:

Model3RCFrontEnhanced.jpg

To me it looks like the front is mostly perpendicular to the ground, but slightly rounded from side to side, almost like a blend of the James Anders / sleepyshado renders.

BTW, for those wondering about the back and whether it's camouflaged, I performed the same crude enhancement on the frame at about 2 seconds. It's hard to say for sure, since at this moment the car is accelerating away while the camera is simultaneously panning left, but to my eye there's a kind of frumpiness to the bumper lines that make me think it's wearing camo:

Model3RCFrontEnhancedBack.jpg

EDIT: Then again, if they had gone to the trouble of putting camo on the rear, shouldn't they have done the same with the front? Hmmm...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB
I also prefer the Upper photo version, it's even better than the tweeted one. And it looks like what we see in the video of the black Model 3, but with that image quality I'm not sure the front end has been changed.
But it looks pretty obvious that the car is black and not camouflaged.

Why did they change the rear lights?
My belief is they didn't, they were just not functioning. As others pointed out, the third brake light was not also lit, so my theory is they are part of same wiring harness or maybe they didn't have the inner parts of the lights. With the S and X having similar taillights when lit, I don't see why the 3 would be different. It is kind of signature look.

Dunno.. If I look the video on post #957 and pause it in various parts where the camera angle is similar to the production candidate video start, the duck nose looks as pointy and "duckfree" in both...

That Molde 3 fascial shape is so weird it is impossible to understand in 2D pictures/videos. Looks so splendidly good from the side or sidefront angle, but terrible direcly form the front.

Dunno.. If I look the video on post #957 and pause it in various parts where the camera angle is similar to the production candidate video start, the duck nose looks as pointy and "duckfree" in both...

That Molde 3 fascial shape is so weird it is impossible to understand in 2D pictures/videos. Looks so splendidly good from the side or sidefront angle, but terrible direcly form the front.
It has been established that the video above is of the original silver prototype from reveal #1. The only images we have of production candidates is Elon's little video.

Dan

Reactions: Red Sage