Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The release candidate actually looks a lot like the original black render:

model3rcfrontenhanced-jpg.220265

Tesla-Model-3-side-view-in-black.jpg

Were we privy to the production design from the start?

It has been established that the video above is of the original silver prototype from reveal #1. The only images we have of production candidates is Elon's little video.

Dan

I believe that's what he's pointing out. If you look at the video of the alpha as it drives by it look identical to the release candidate video. The duck bill is just a lot less pronounced from that angle.

It's really hard to tell for sure with the bad video, but in my opinion it's quite possible it is unchanged:

model3rcfrontenhanced-jpg.220265

View attachment 220570

Against my better judgement, I offer my opinion. Using the silver car as a reference, it is possible that the crease under the headlight has been modified and is now horizontal (rather than down-sloping) and blends with the top of the "duckbill." If that is possible, in my opinion it makes the front end design more cohesive. If correct, the change is subtle, not offending original design proponents while providing a "significant" modification for the change proponents.

Reactions: Bokonon and Model 3
Against my better judgement, I offer my opinion. Using the silver car as a reference, it is possible that the crease under the headlight has been modified and is now horizontal (rather than down-sloping) and blends with the top of the "duckbill." If that is possible, in my opinion it makes the front end design more cohesive. If correct, the change is subtle, not offending original design proponents while providing a "significant" modification for the change proponents.
That was the exact same thing I noticed as well. Crease under the headlight appears to be more horizontal.

It may take some digging, but Pando posted a GIF of the video, and you can see reflections moving in a horizontal pattern around the crease area. You'd be seeing the reflection dip and dive if it was the same design as the prototype.

That would be post #920. That GIF is very helpful. I am convinced more than ever that the crease under the headlight has been modified to minimize the "frowning duck" look.

Just noticed that there has been a significant change around rear door handle, the crease just above is much more prominent. I bet it was done for air drag reduction because I can't see an improvement aesthetically.

Same goes for the base of the A-pillar just above the autopilot camera you can clearly see a protrusion in the panels. Look closely and you begin to see other subtle details. The new car is certainly more detailed than alpha prototype.

Last edited:
Just noticed that there has been a significant change around rear door handle, the crease just above is much more prominent. I bet it was done for air drag reduction because I can't see an improvement aesthetically.

That could just be lighting. The shape of the crease looks the same as it was before. Remember the new picture was brightened artificially from a dark picture.

I don't think any words are necessary

C9Aq8LgUAAAsDuQ.jpg:large

How about the picture on the left is a computer generated render from the website... the two pictures are at different angles with different reflections.
I still think they are the same. (reveal cars vs. release candidates, not sure about the website renders) I may turn out to be wrong, but I think you can't say definitively from these 2 pictures.

We shall see when more pictures come out.