Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• tesla3.jpg
    tesla3.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 223
By the time the final production version appears, you are going to love the front end.

Owning Model X, I am pleased to see what Tesla Motors has done with Model 3. It will fit nicely in the short third parking spot in the garage.

It's a perfect solution for those of us who cannot fit three S or X without parking them outside.

The front end is bold, but you can clearly see the design progression and how they are making a new language.

- Roadster: a form already familiar to the card world, the tech behind the car was more critical
- Model S: A luxury sedan with a visual grill. No function, but kept to maintain familiarity for luxury buyers
- Model X: Old grill pinched off to be aerodynamic and only a slight suggestion of the former functional piece
- Model 3: Full aero, completely removed signs of unnecessary ICE design necessities

It does look "weird" at first because we are all conditioned to expect air intakes on every car we've ever seen. I quite like it, though I do suspect it will be tweaked in the final version.

It does look "weird" at first because we are all conditioned to expect air intakes on every car we've ever seen. I quite like it, though I do suspect it will be tweaked in the final version.
No, no, no, no! Why do people keep harping on the lack of a grille?!?

It is not the lack of a grill that makes it look weird. It's the completely flat front nose, that looks like if could be made from a sheet of plywood. It looks completely un-aerodynamic and "un-sleek", almost as if a last minute styling decision was to run it into the wall a couple of times.

It looks weird because it doesn't look finished. Like they got to the front of a rectangular block of clay and stopped rounding the front, vs sticking on 4" more clay and rounding it off.

I'm no aerodynamic engineer, but I don't see how that flat front helps the Cd.

The front end is bold, but you can clearly see the design progression and how they are making a new language.

- Roadster: a form already familiar to the card world, the tech behind the car was more critical
- Model S: A luxury sedan with a visual grill. No function, but kept to maintain familiarity for luxury buyers
- Model X: Old grill pinched off to be aerodynamic and only a slight suggestion of the former functional piece
- Model 3: Full aero, completely removed signs of unnecessary ICE design necessities

EXACTLY.

Reactions: jimmyjohn
Reminiscent of old Porsche hognose. I like it from the side and somewhat from front. Glad it doesn't have the X mini grill. I think I'd prefer if the creases below the headlights simply continued across. Or... Maybe soften the upper crease a bit and meld it in to the creases below the headlights a bit gentler.

I underlined think and maybe because I know that what we think in our heads doesn't always look so right. I'm sure they played with a lot of clay models and likely thought about everything I mentioned, tried it, and while it might sound good or even look good on paper it doesn't cut it in 3D (no pun intended).

I agree completely, getting everyone accustomed to getting away from a grille one step at a time and this is the final step. Get out of the past and into the future, people!

I personally think it's also a nod to the fascia/bumper of the EV-1:
upload_2016-4-1_9-0-12.jpeg

Curb Appeal? Does not do it for me. Elon Musk said that it would be the same size as the Audi A4 and maybe it is, however the A4 is a much more visual appealing car.

As its been stated - Maybe this is simply a prototype that will change. I don't remember the Model S prototype....and the Model X (production) still looks like a prototype. I suppose the look of the Model X is making me think that the current Model 3 pictures represent production. Time will tell.

If the model 3 remains the same....then I'm going to definitely wait for aftermarket front end grills to come out before I drive it out of my garage. Hopefully an aftermarket group will finish the rear end with a trunk - Like the Audi A4 has.

I don't think that's the final nose at all. Remember how they hid the MX nose until the final release? I think we'll see a new front end when he does the second phase reveal. They are also probably still working on how/where to integrate all the sensors needed for AP2.0 as well - that could affect/slow the final design of the nose.

I think that is the final nose. This car is being driven, it is not a concept car. I also think there is a tremendous amount of exterior design work in the car shown.

The way to have a chance of producing M3 for sale by the end of next year is to stop changing the car. But with the feature list I do wonder if Musk is genuinely serious about producing these cars in 2018. But if he has a real plan for that time frame, the car shown is probably very close to the production vehicle.

I personally don't think it's the final edition for the front. I will say that it since i'm forced to have front and back plates, the front would be fine if that was the final product. It looks a bit futuristic.

I like it - the lack of a grille is a bit of a change from what we're all used to seeing on cars, but the vestigial grille on EVs absolutely had to go. I think they'll see/hear the feedback and may tweak it a bit, but I honestly like it as it sits. The more I see it, the more I like it as well. To me, it looks like a blend of the Tesla design language, a dash of Porsche and smidge of Ford Focus.

I started this thread because I'm seeing some posts and tweets that aren't raving. I can't say I hate it, but when I first saw it I didn't know what to think. I still don't know. It's not a deal breaker for me, I still want one when they are CPO's in 5-6 years. But, I'm a little, just a little, disappointed.

I do agree with the Big Bear here. It is a very nice car as it is, and I will still buy it with this nose, and as shown up-thread it does help with European front license plates. But what this front as it is looks to me is "I was designed with a grill that was removed in the last minute by an afterthought". I do hope they will refine this a bit before the production version, but mind you all: I'm not a "hater".

Reactions: bigbear
One question about Teslas not needing a grill - aren't there something like 3 radiators/condensers in the front end of the Model 3? Where does the airflow for them come from? Do they have fans? I'm surprised there isn't a need for some form of grill. I guess since they don't need nearly as much airflow as an ICE you don't need an enormous opening...

One question about Teslas not needing a grill - aren't there something like 3 radiators/condensers in the front end of the Model 3? Where does the airflow for them come from? Do they have fans? I'm surprised there isn't a need for some form of grill. I guess since they don't need nearly as much airflow as an ICE you don't need an enormous opening...

There is still the lower grill - when you don't need to dump (at times) hundreds of kW of waste heat from the engine, you can get away with a much smaller air intake.

Reactions: Yonki