Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a pretty silly comparison...just sayin'. You're comparing a sedan to what is a pretty practical cross-over. The Bolt could have been far more attractive as well as I feel Chevy really was ultra conservative in its approach. But so is the Model 3. There isn't a single exterior design feature on this car where I can say it's truly extraordinary or striking. It's a plain Jane looking car.

Look at the Nissan Sway....that's how a new design should look like...and if the next gen Leaf looks anything of the part (i.e if Nissan really knows what to do with the Sway), it'll be the first EV that actually looks good and doesn't look like a frumpy middle aged man's car.
I just realized we are talking about 2 different styles of cars... The bolt is no comparison to the tesla, in my opinion the conparison should be between the nissan sway and the bolt.

That's a pretty silly comparison...just sayin'. You're comparing a sedan to what is a pretty practical cross-over. The Bolt could have been far more attractive as well as I feel Chevy really was ultra conservative in its approach. But so is the Model 3. There isn't a single exterior design feature on this car where I can say it's truly extraordinary or striking. It's a plain Jane looking car.

Look at the Nissan Sway....that's how a new design should look like...and if the next gen Leaf looks anything of the part (i.e if Nissan really knows what to do with the Sway), it'll be the first EV that actually looks good and doesn't look like a frumpy middle aged man's car.
Meh. Both the Chevrolet BOLT and the Nissan SWAY are just those company's respective attempts to come up with something to one-up the Honda Fit. Each has way too many doors for such a short wheelbase. Very few cars can pull it off. The Renault Zoe is one of them, I think...
renault-zoe-b10ph1-design-gallerie-001.jpg

The model 3 looks just like the model s...which is already outdated and old. The Sway is a very atraction hatchback fit to wear a GTI style badge. It's unique and looks sharp. The 3 just looks like a bland sedan reminiscent to what would typically come out of Detroit.
You are comparing these two cars right?

la-fi-tesla-model-3-road-pic-20160331

Tesla-Model-S-ADV52MV2-22inch-Wheels-Front.jpg
They resemble eachother yes, Because they are both teslas. If tesla was going to use the sway design they would be completly out of their minds (not because it looks bad, but because it doesn't look like a tesla!)

Reactions: Red Sage
This is how I envision the front should look. That crease line under the headlights should proceed continuously across the front in a smooth curve. Looking at the top view it would mean the front cap would stick out a bit more - perhaps 3 inches. Mounting of the license plate could happen down closure to the ground. Look at my NSX avatar. I'm not required to have a front plate in PA - but if I did the plate would be mounted on a plastic bracket.
p4010518-1.jpg

I love the front end!

I'm so glad they decided to drop the vestigial ICE age grill. To get an idea how ugly grills actually are go look at the Maserati or if you are feeling brave the latest Toyotas.

The front of the Model 3 looks Porsche-esque with the headlights and front lip of the hood set back. I even like the forward leaning tilt. Kind of reminds me of 70s BMW which were the best looking.

I love the front end!

I'm so glad they decided to drop the vestibule ICE age grill. To get an idea how ugly grills actually are go look at the Maserati or if you are feeling brave the latest Toyoyas.

The front of the Model 3 looks Porsche-esque with the headlights and front lip of the hood set back. I even like the forward leaning tilt. Kind of reminds me of 70s BMW which were the best looking.

I am glad they dropped the grille too. Of course that has nothing to do with the blunt nose.

I can only surmise this blunt face is for pedestrian collision safety concerns.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm in the camp that Fran has nailed every design angle for the S, X, and the 3... Except the nose cones. For me, that's the weak spot in each of them. I can get past them as the cars are so awesome in every other way, but our input here can help influence Tesla before they finalize, as each model's nose went through several iterations before final production.

I know the nose cone has huge impact on aero, but just as easy, very minor changes can also have huge complimentary impact on aesthetics too, while not compromising drag.

Okay, the Model 3 is a mix of ALL previous Tesla cars... Just think about it:

- Its got the front hood (area where logo is) of the Roadster
- The front hood edges of a Model S
- And the Rear of a Model X

Notice any other similarities? Please reply to comment. Thanks!