Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End... Hmmmmmm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see quite a bit of ugly, and a whole bunch of absence of beauty. BMW 3-Series look FAR better today. And yeah, the purple one is fargin' ugly.
Not to further drift off topic, but keep in mind what other cars of the era looked like. Not fair to compare what they look like today to then. If you keep the looks in that perspective, that might help. In my opinion any 3 series after E46 is horrible. But you know what they say about opinions :p

No mfr (except for maybe GM) lets their cars go any more than 5 years between full redesigns any more.

Except EV manufacturers, like Nissan with the LEAF and Mitsubishi with the i-MiEV.

An article I read yesterday mentioned Tesla testifying that the other manufacturers aren't even trying to make and sell EV's, and that seems correct to me. IF Tesla were to fail, I believe that every other manufacturer would revert back to their old ways and stop making EV's, daring CA to tell them they can't sell their ICE vehicles any more. Tesla has done a great deal for us, even if we choose to buy a competitors EV.

Reactions: Red Sage
Have no fear, with over 400,000 pre-orders, there will be several aftermarket manufacturers offering modified front fascias for the 3. Some of those manufacturers are currently monitoring this forum and you will see many of the ideas proposed here on these modified front fascias - for better or worse. :)
That's what I'm counting on.

Its funny, but I'm one of those guys that wants to be different. I'm going to change the look of my M3 just to be different.

If it comes with a mustache....I'm changing it. If it comes without a mustaches....I'm adding one. LOL

Reactions: T34ME
The S and X won't be grill-less by 2018. Car manufacturers typically refresh their models every 4 or so years, and this is what was done with the Model S already. No chance the S/X get a facelift after 2 years.
Using cars like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry as examples... Each car design is usually on the market for five years. They will do a mild, mid-season refresh of the cars after the first two of those years has passed. That usually means a juggling of options packages and items that are standard issue. Effectively, it is a cosmetic change more than anything else, but under the skin it is still the same car.

Correct, it won't get a face-lift, it will get a whole redesign, because it will be 6 years old by then. No mfr (except for maybe GM) lets their cars go any more than 5 years between full redesigns any more.
I am certain that Elon Musk stated they would operate on an eight year cycle for their car designs. I'm still looking for the video where he said this. The Model S was released in 2012. So, it's mid-season refresh was this year, 2016, four years after the car arrived on the market. I figure the Model S 2.0 will be released in 2020.

I am certain that Elon Musk stated they would operate on an eight year cycle for their car designs. I'm still looking for the video where he said this. The Model S was released in 2012. So, it's mid-season refresh was this year, 2016, four years after the car arrived on the market. I figure the Model S 2.0 will be released in 2020.

That's probably true, if for no other reason than they just don't have the resources yet to do complete redesigns that quickly.

From my bad memory: He was asked from a journalist if Tesla would do the same as "all the others" and do a redesign after X years (sorry, do not remember what number of years the journalist used) and a face-lift somewhere between the redesigns. Elon did first think a bit then answered something like "Uhmm... Yea? Yes, I think we will do something like that."