Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end noise during rapid acceleration attemped fix done but new vibrat started during accelerati

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the commonly known front end clunking noise, during intial rapid acceleration. I sent it in for service.
When I got it back, I still had the same issue.. They said, it will now happen only in very cold temps. I was ok with it.
How ever, after their "fix", new problem started.. While accelerating rapidly from a stop to about 55 mph, there is now a vibration from the "front drive train" - which I can feel in the steering. I never had this in the past.The vibration occurs at about 25 to 45 mph.
Anyone else experiencing this?

I had the commonly known front end clunking noise, during intial rapid acceleration. I sent it in for service.
When I got it back, I still had the same issue.. They said, it will now happen only in very cold temps. I was ok with it.
How ever, after their "fix", new problem started.. While accelerating rapidly from a stop to about 55 mph, there is now a vibration from the "front drive train" - which I can feel in the steering. I never had this in the past.The vibration occurs at about 25 to 45 mph.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Put the suspension on the low setting and see if it stops the vibration. If so, it's the half shafts and a common problem on the Model X.

As I wrote already above: that I was already aware of the shudder problem being commonly known.. and that it was sent in for the fix of that "shudder"! Yes, suspension is in low.
I had the same "shudder" problem after I got my car back from fixing it. When I told them I had the same issue, yes in low suspension, they said it occurs only when you start off and that too in very cold weather. I am ok with that.. That is NOT what I am writing about.
I got a new problem, when I got the car back. I never had this problem before!
The new problem is that I get a vibration from the front end "drive train" (what ever it is called), when I accelerate rapidly. The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel, and from the front "drive train" (I don't think it is wheel balance but it could be). This is a new problem, which I didn't have prior to their "fix" of the prior front rattle during rapid acceleration problem!

Keep your shirt on mate. You wrote "I had the commonly known front end clunking noise, during intial rapid acceleration". That is NOT the shudder issue because that's a "shudder" and not a "clunking noise". A car that shudders does not "clunk or rattle".
So to other people reading your topic, they do not associate it with the common "shudder" issue nut another issue instead. Can't blame them.

Keep your shirt on mate. You wrote "I had the commonly known front end clunking noise, during intial rapid acceleration". That is NOT the shudder issue because that's a "shudder" and not a "clunking noise". A car that shudders does not "clunk or rattle".
So to other people reading your topic, they do not associate it with the common "shudder" issue nut another issue instead. Can't blame them.
I stand corrected.. You are correct. My apologies.. My car used to make clunking noise and also vibrate.. I mistook it for shudder.. but you are correct.

Standard S/X had various fixes for the shudder. Sometime a mounting bracket or shaft replacement would make it better for a while, but repetitive hard launches could bring it back.

The Raven models has a different suspension and the work around is to lower it when accelerating quickly.

Some believe this shudder in inherent in the suspension design of these cars. The more you do fast accelerating the more chances you have to bring upon the shudder.

High performance ICE Muscle Cars often had similar issues when accelerating quickly from a stop. We mostly called it wheel hop, but was really a wind up in the suspension from excessive torque. We would install ladder bars or other aftermarket items to reduce it, but still lots of torque is hard to control smoothly in drivelines.

Even in professional dragsters, the torque can cause the rear tires to shake violently.

Easiest way to eliminate this would be for Tesla to simply turn down the torque to the front wheels, but what would be the fun in that?

I have a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus and the shudder is extremely bad when the suspension is high and I experience very little when it is set to low. I took my Tesla for service and they told me that if this wasn't brand new, there is a fix but mine has a new suspension and there is currently no fix for this issue. I was "put on a list" to have it fixed when the fix becomes available. I am not satisfied with this issue, especially since this is a design problem it seems. The 2019 and earlier has this same issue and now they release the 2020 with a new suspension that does the same thing? Why should I have to drive such an expensive luxury car with this issue. Each mile and month that goes buy, I am closer to being out of warranty. Not happy about this!

Reactions: TSLA Pilot