Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front engine noise - Brand new S75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Owner since two weeks here. Super happy and seem to have eluded many of the issues that some people have unfortunately had with their new cars. ...however, I have one thing that grinds my g(ears). The front motor is quite loud even with minimal load. In a register that I would expect it to be quiet. No range mode activated. Can anyone listen to this and give their verdict.
And yes, I DO have the loudest jacket in the world. Thank you for noticing. :)

We have a MS 75D (09/2016). If the sound you are referring to is as you accelerate and decelerate in the lower speeds, then I agree that this doesn’t sound right. I have noticed a bit of motor vibration at lower speeds, but yours sounds worse. Ours, however, does have a front drive unit gear whine above 65mph while under a load. May be worth a trip to the SC for a test drive with a mechanic.

Thanks everybody,
It's not a deal breaker and if it is normal I very well could get used to it. I think it sounds very cool during blast off. I did however try a MS 75D for a weekend in back in February and I sort of remember being in awe over how quiet it was sneaking up to wheel noise speeds. It Might be I remember it incorrectly or that I was still in ICE mode back then.
Anyways, I'll keep an ear on it and will continue to enjoy my awesome new ride.

Thanks again!

I’m hearing a low frequency clunk-clunk that comes and goes that is different than the motor whine which matches speed. Is that what you are talking about? If so, I’d guess it’s a bad bit in the suspension - ball joint, tie rod end, etc. get it to a service center!

Tesla’s can be a little hard to troubleshoot since they have so much soundproofing and the cabin is well sealed. Within a few weeks of my delivery I was feeling/hearing some vibration at medium speeds. Turned out to be a wheel bearing - the air-coupled noise was muted, but you could feel the vibration transmitted through the body. Service Center fixed it, no problem..